Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,462,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
What's the worst place you've ever been to?

for me, top of the list must be Bali, Indonesia

absolutely horrible place, harassed literally every 10 seconds to buy something, no women, overpriced, traffic nightmare and just not a place worth going on holiday to.

any others?
That's because you went there now that it's a ridiculous tourist trap.

We used to go there in the early 80s...no one was there. Nusa Dua Beach Hotel...quiet, serene, gorgeous. The whole island was ours.

See, my theory is that PEOPLE ruin everything (in terms of travel). So I keep searching for more and more secluded/exclusive places to go.

Travel was better before everyone could afford it. Sounds snooty, but everything was better - the airlines treated you like royalty, the locales were exotic and awesome, the natives didn't hate everyone...it was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
New York. Crowded, claustrophobic, rude, unfriendly, noisy, polluted, over-priced and over-rated.
I agree.
I don't understand why people like this city so much.
Every time I go there, I can't wait to get the hell out.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,334,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
Full disclosure: I'm a born and raised New Yorker who loves his town.

Most of what out of towners complain about tends to happen in Manhattan. Noisy? Crowded? Yeah, it gets pretty crazy at times; even I have a limited tolerance for the craziness. I imagine in even in small doses it can be exciting for some, off putting to others. Rude? Sorry. That one I frankly don't buy. I'd sooner think one gets more rude treatment from transplants and other visitors than from native New Yorkers. The stereotype of the rude New Yorkers is just that, in my opinion - a stereotype. If you ever decide to give us another chance, try an outer borough like Brooklyn.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM

27,674 posts, read 28,771,632 times
Quote:
I agree.
That's because you're from Texas! Lol.

Seriously, it's different strokes. I think New York City is easily the best city in America, and one of the best in the world. Of course, there are a lot of other good cities too.

But yeah, it's expensive. So, if you don't have the money, then New York City isn't so kind.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,596,683 times
In Italy:

Calabria and Sicily: miles and miles of unfinished buildings, run-down cities that look like third world, and overbuilt coastlines.
Genoa: nasty city. Period.
Milan: grey and polluted.
Rome: great for a holiday, but stressful and exhausting to live.
any place in Pianura Padana (Padan Plain): overbuilt and depressing.

In Europe

Athens
Brussels... what a s******e
A LOT of coastal town in Spain and Portugal

In USA

I dislike and avoid any conservative place... unfortunately the vast majority of Flyover America but the worst of the worst is represented by:

Lubbock
Dallas
Houston
Jacksonville
Tampa
Phoenix
Las Vegas
A lot of ghetto-cities in the northeast (such as Newark) have more soul than such places

In Canada

Toronto (the ugly copy of NYC)

Last edited by italianuser; 07-15-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 3,113,511 times
Muncie, Indiana. The Obesity Capital of the U.S. The incidence of diabetes there must be sky-high.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,596,683 times
Quote:
I agree.

Again, NYC is not only Midtown

Old 07-15-2012, 10:01 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,552,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really, did you just hang out in Kuta?
The countryside is absolutely lovely.
Great snorkeling and diving, good food, homestays and culture.
Yeah, when people just travel to the most touristy location in a tourist destination and then complain about getting hassled to buy stuff... Well--did you go anywhere else? People go to Cancun and think they've seen Mexico and get annoyed at timeshare offers-but it's like going to Disneyworld and thinking you've seen anything in the US. It's actually pretty easy to get away from tourist hassles--just don't make eye contact or speak to anyone who's obviously trying just to sell you something if you're not interested--they won't be offended--they know the game, and the locals just ignore them to begin with.

I know people who've traveled to and lived in Bali, and they've said that the interior is one of the most interesting places in Southeast Asia if you're interested in the culture.

Likewise---who goes to Italy and complains there's no women? Really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
In Italy:

Calabria and Sicily: miles and miles of unfinished buildings, run-down cities that look like third world, and overbuilt coastlines.
Sicily has some beautiful beaches and mountain villages. Personally, I even liked Palermo, found it to be an interesting city with good food. Catania wasn't great--but it's hardly "third world" by anyone's standards. But to each his/her own.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I used to have little interest in visiting Bali but then I found out there was than the the tourist-infested tourist resorts. Too many Australians there.

There was a village in China that was literally a dump - piles of rubbish everywhere, the toilets were literally covered in feces, looked really grim and sad.

Las Vegas outside the strip. Pure ghetto, someone fleeced me out of some money there.

Lubbock, TX. One gigantic suburb. It was just a stop-over, really.

In Australia, Port Augusta and Whyalla, South Australia were pretty horrible.

whats wrong with south australia ?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's because you're from Texas! Lol.

Seriously, it's different strokes. I think New York City is easily the best city in America, and one of the best in the world. Of course, there are a lot of other good cities too.

But yeah, it's expensive. So, if you don't have the money, then New York City isn't so kind.
First of all, I have plenty of money (am a dirty 1%er). I honestly thought it would make a difference the last time I went. It made no difference.

Second of all, I live in Texas, I say I'm from Texas, but I actually grew up internationally and in California.
But before people diss Texas, let me tell you about FOUR things that happened in NYC that would NEVER happen in Texas.
1. A man hits me with his car while I am standing ON THE SIDEWALK. Then he gets out and yells at ME!!!!
2. Young people yell at an old lady for being slow with her bag and going to put them at the front of the line.
3. Woman struggles for minutes by herself with too many bags...no one...NOT ONE PERSON tries to help her until I do.
4. Just walking down the street, accosted by street person trying to get us to go to club, tell them we're from Texas...get YELLED AT because "Texas sucks so much."

What the hell is wrong with people?

Third of all, I am sure people love NYC, and that is fine. We all have different opinions and different tastes. My mild claustrophobia doesn't help things, I am sure. Got a suite the last time we went...and it was still pathetically tiny. I'll stick with beach vacations...Rosewood Little Dix or the Four Seasons in Hawaii for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World