Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Even in their low birth rate, I saw a lot of Japanese school children outdoors during my visit in Tokyo and Hiroshima.
Probly far more than I'll ever see here in Chicago.
OK. But not quite sure whether the OP is talking about the REAL number of children, or the PERCEIVED number of children. The OP does say, "Where children ARE almost non existent" not "where children SEEM TO BE non existent."

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-23-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
When I first moved to London I noticed the lack of children and retired people around too, though it depends on the neighbourhood.
I do not know where you live in London, but I lived in NW London and at night, there were mobs of kids running around causing problems, mostly vandalism, but a few assaults. Not even speaking of teens, but early teens and younger. A person could easily walk upon a group of eight or more of them.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Even in their low birth rate, I saw a lot of Japanese school children outdoors during my visit in Tokyo and Hiroshima.
Probly far more than I'll ever see here in Chicago.
Me too. Lots of large school groups at a lot of attractions or playing outside in parks. Same thing in Korea. Sometimes they used to follow me around and giggle and point at the white foreigner when they'd see me in some of the smaller cities and towns. Which is sort of normal in a lot of Asia with children.

Additionally in my old neighborhood in Portland, Oregon, there were always kids outside playing and riding their bikes--then I moved to a slightly nicer area and I rarely see kids around--nor does it seem like most people have kids. It can vary from area to area.

But there's no place on Earth where children are "non-existent". Even at the lowest birthrate nations--someone is still having kids.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM

207 posts, read 707,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK. But not quite sure whether the OP is talking about the REAL number of children, or the PERCEIVED number of children. The OP does say, "Where children ARE almost non existent" not "where children SEEM TO BE non existent."
So that takes out Japan in the list. He said places "where you saw practically no children".
Japanese cities have lots of attractions and places built for kids. And unlike most American cities, Japan has a very low crime rate. Which makes their parents feel a little bit secure for them to let their kids play outdoors or ride trains alone going to school/home.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Where have you visited where you saw practically no children.

When I went to Spain you rarely saw too many kids. I have heard Italy even more so where kids are almost an endangered species!
Actually, I noticed quite many children in Spain. Maybe because they come always in groups with their large families.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
In Germany or in Poland there is a very low birth rate, however all children play outside and are not "micromanaged".

Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Good point. This needs clarification.

In the US there are tons of children, but like another poster noted, most of them, at least those in the middle-class families, are scheduled and micro-managed to a T. This makes parents' life ...a ...well, they don't have one. Your adult life is pretty much over once you have children - unless you're one of those who mange to self-brainwash and accept that they absolutely enjoy their life when sitting at their children's activities on the side. "It is what we do as a family and we enjoy it to death!".
I am 25, and at that age American young adults begin to marry and have families. I would say roughly a quarter to a third of my graduating class is either married or has children or both. Contrary to what seems to be a popular notion, not everybody's life revolves around themselves. For many mothers (and probably a lot of fathers), their children and family ARE their lives, and they would not have it any other way.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:44 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I am 25, and at that age American young adults begin to marry and have families. I would say roughly a quarter to a third of my graduating class is either married or has children or both. Contrary to what seems to be a popular notion, not everybody's life revolves around themselves. For many mothers (and probably a lot of fathers), their children and family ARE their lives, and they would not have it any other way.
This is one way to look at it, but the other ( European way) to look at it, is to understand that once you hit 25 and get children, your life of an adult isn't over, you should keep on progressing and developing, and that involves a lot of things. That doesn't mean that children are not your first priority, but they have their own time and space for growing, without your every-minute involvement. At the end of the day they have something to share with you, and so do you, because ( as I've said) you keep on growing and developing, and when you are "recharged" with your adult life, you might have better reflection on what your child has to say.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
I didn't expect to see many kids in Spain, but I saw tons. Maybe kids get out of the house more than in the US

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Again, what is the point with this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World