Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,061,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I misread Mauritania as Marijuana so cannabis reminds me of that country.

Next: Armenia
MAURITANIA
Located towards the top of West coast of Africa
Islamic Republic
Traditional
Sahara Desert
Small population
Poor
Former French colony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 6,061,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Even if India has some flaws/weaknesses it still has plenty of good intriguing qualities about it and seems like such an intellectually stimulating fun place to at least visit.

For Slovakia:

Used to be part of Czech Republic for a long time.

Plenty of people say Slovakia is the lower class, less cosmopolitan/less diverse, more rural version of Czech Republic, but still with some charm, especially in Bratislava.

The area around Bratislava in Slovakia is only 40 miles/less than one hour away from Vienna Austria. It is around 100 miles/2 hours away from Budapest Hungary and 250 miles/5 hours away from Prague area of Czech Republic. That is unprecedented/not expected for that area of Slovakia being closer to Vienna Austria and Budapest Hungary in geographic distance than to Prague.

Most of Slovakia a lot of people say actually has more Poland cultural influence than Austrian cultural influence. Czech, Hungarian, and Poland influence is evenly distributed.

Next country: Laos
LAOS one of my favourite South East Asian counties

Known as PDR LAOS (People's Demorcratic Republic)

Always refered to as LAO the S is silent as in French.

Vientiane is a lovely smallish capital city

Best Beer in Asia....BEER LAO.......

French influence strong

Eat French breakfast...baguettes etc

Coffee to die for

Liang Prabang , is a world heritage city...beautiful place

Van Vieng famous for backpackers riding down the Mekong River on tubes..often while drunk

Had more bombs dropped on it than anywhere in the 2nd World War by the Americans

Mountainous nation

Communist...The Hammer and Sickle flag flies beside the Lao national flag

People shyer than neighbours

From the capital a short distance across the Mekong is Thailand

Laos provides energy to Thailand as a major source of revenue

Short trip across Friendship Bridge to nearest city in Thailand..to stock up on foods etc....

Hmong are a minority group in the country where issues still exist with government but armed conflict largely abated.

Next country

Brunei

Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,043,781 times
Brunuei: Tiny country in the island of Borneo, oil wealth, Sultan, one of the most epic capital city names in Bandar Seri Begawan, tropical climate

Next: Vanuatu

Old 08-25-2012, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 10,084 times
Vanuatu : Lush green little island somewhat related to polynesia/micronesia.
Next nation: Cameroon

Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 PM

61 posts, read 291,508 times
When I think of cameroon
I think of the Bush
Elephants
Beautiful African people
Aids
Dry soil

Next country:

Cambodia

(I didn't look back to see when/or if this country was mentioned)

Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,067,557 times
Temples

Croatia

Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,968,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
For NAURU also

Was the smallest Republic in the world at one time
Only export Phosphate depleted now and gone from rich to very poor
High number of poor lifestyle illnesses due to poor diet
Rather unattractive island
Home to Australia's re established detention centre for asylum seekers arriving by boat in Australian waters
For most countries in the world, there is a lot of thoughtful, specific, and informative opinions and impressions that can form and be expressed.

The country of Nauru is so small, but there was still a lot to say, even for Nauru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
LAOS one of my favourite South East Asian counties

Known as PDR LAOS (People's Demorcratic Republic)

Always refered to as LAO the S is silent as in French.

Vientiane is a lovely smallish capital city

Best Beer in Asia....BEER LAO.......

French influence strong

Eat French breakfast...baguettes etc

Coffee to die for

Liang Prabang , is a world heritage city...beautiful place

Van Vieng famous for backpackers riding down the Mekong River on tubes..often while drunk

Had more bombs dropped on it than anywhere in the 2nd World War by the Americans

Mountainous nation

Communist...The Hammer and Sickle flag flies beside the Lao national flag

People shyer than neighbours

From the capital a short distance across the Mekong is Thailand

Laos provides energy to Thailand as a major source of revenue

Short trip across Friendship Bridge to nearest city in Thailand..to stock up on foods etc....

Hmong are a minority group in the country where issues still exist with government but armed conflict largely abated.
I used to ignore Laos and did not realize that it does still have plenty to offer for tourists and is interesting.

My opinions for Laos is becoming more positive/optimistic and not as negative/discouraging.

However, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, and Malaysia come way before Laos for me.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,968,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Next country: Croatia
Croatia:

Has a fascinating location in Europe between Western, Eastern, and Southern Europe, and the Romance, Latin, Germanic, Slavic, and Balkan European regions.

Becoming more popular with foreign tourists recently, especially for the Mediterranean/Adriatic Sea coastline scenery. The city of Zagreb should also not be forgotten.

Croatia is going from being very underrated to very overrated faster than almost any other country in the world based on my impressions for this country.

I don’t see most of the appeal/intrigue with Croatia, but I still see a tiny bit of the appeal and intrigue, mostly just because of the exact geographic location and coastline. I easily prefer a lot of other European countries (France, UK/England, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Norway, Czech Republic etc.) before Croatia.

Used to be part of Yugoslavia/Serbia until the early 1990s, but Croatia/Croatian people seem to pretend it never was part of that region, that it became completely separate, and alienated from that time in history and with Serbia. Similar situation with Slovenia.

Next country: Hungary

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,043,781 times
Hungary: Magyars, isolated linguistically from surrounding nations, Budapest, Danube river, Hungarian revolution, Ferenc Puskas

Next: Morocco

Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM

192 posts, read 413,525 times
Mosques, desert, camels, turbans, belly dancing, cliffs

Next: Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World