Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Here's a better map of the dialects in Spain (not same as "accents" because I can't understand Basque or Catalan)
That map is alright, but it is a "language" map of Spain, not a dialect map. Basque, Galician, Catalan, etc. are separate languages, they are not dialects of Castilian Spanish. If you want to show "dialects" the map would have to show a difference between the Castilian spoken in Castile and northern Spain versus that in Andalucia. For example, the Castilian Spanish spoken Andalucia is famous for the "s"s and "c"s being pronouced as a "th" sound, unlike that in the north of Spain. Also, the map would show that this "Andalucian" Spanish is the Spanish spoken in the Canary Islands as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempranillo View Post
llorente is not basque
Doesn't surprise me, I wasn't sure about him.
I obviously have no idea of what the basque accent sound like.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Something I found to be different about Spain Spanish and Latino Spanish is the past tense. In Spain, it seemed like if something happened that day, then they wouldn't use past tense like a Latino would, they used present perfect

"ha dado"= has given
"ha comido"= has eaten

instead of past tense: "dio" and "comió" ("gave" and "ate"). Even for things that wouldn't sound right if translated in English like "no he sido yo"--- "it hasn't been me" meaning "it wasn't me"

But if it happened yesterday and back, then they would use past tense. They looked at me like I had 2 heads when I used the past tense to describe something that happened that day.
Well, that difference about the past tense vs the perfect tense is not necessarily a question of Spain vs Latin America. There are accents in Spain where they use the past tense instead of the perfect, and likewise there are many accents in Latin America where they use the perfect instead of the past tense.

I use the past tense practically always.

And to the OP, there are a lot of variation in Spanish dialects, of course.

In Mexican Spanish they usually pronounce all the s's, but in many other dialects across Latin America and some in Spain too, they aspirate (make a sound more similar to the English 'h') the s's when they come before another consonant (esta -> ehta) and sometimes at the end of words too (estas -> ehtah). And in some dialects the s's at the end of words are dropped altogether (estas -> ehta).

As regards sounds, some consonants are pronounced differently in different dialects. The letters 'y' and 'll' are standardly pronounced like the English 'y' in 'yes' but in some places they are pronounced like English 'j' in 'John', or like the English 'z' in 'azure' or even like the English 'sh' in 'show'. This last sound is the one I use .

As regards grammar, there is the voseo phenomenon:
Voseo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An there are more differences, just like what happens with English.

Cheers,

Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
That map is alright, but it is a "language" map of Spain, not a dialect map. Basque, Galician, Catalan, etc. are separate languages, they are not dialects of Castilian Spanish. If you want to show "dialects" the map would have to show a difference between the Castilian spoken in Castile and northern Spain versus that in Andalucia. For example, the Castilian Spanish spoken Andalucia is famous for the "s"s and "c"s being pronouced as a "th" sound, unlike that in the north of Spain. Also, the map would show that this "Andalucian" Spanish is the Spanish spoken in the Canary Islands as well.
Actually, reverse what you said and then it would be true. Take gracias, for example.

"Grathias" : Most of Spain
"Grasias" : Andalucía and Canaries

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually, reverse what you said and then it would be true. Take gracias, for example.

"Grathias" : Most of Spain
"Grasias" : Andalucía and Canaries
Actually You both are right. There's not only one Andalucian accent.
In some areas the "C" and "S" are pronounced as a "th" and in others are pronounced as an "S".

Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Andalucían is like a language in itself. Coming from spending alot of time in Mallorca and Valencia I found it difficult to understand they're words and accent especially "campo" like my fiance.

They shorten the words and even have some that are completely different.

Galician, Basque, Catalan, Mallorquin and Valencian are totally different languages. Basque words dont even look remotely Spanish

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Andalucían is like a language in itself. Coming from spending alot of time in Mallorca and Valencia I found it difficult to understand they're words and accent especially "campo" like my fiance.

They shorten the words and even have some that are completely different.

Galician, Basque, Catalan, Mallorquin and Valencian are totally different languages. Basque words dont even look remotely Spanish

Scot

Mallorquin, Valencian and now "Eastern Aragonese" are all dialectal forms of Catalan.
Andalucia has more than 20 dialects, some almost not mutually understandable.
For example, Western Andalusian passed to the Canaries and America, extremelly different from Eastern Andalusian, from Cordobés, Granaino, Jienense, etc.
Basque has more than 200 dialects, some not mutually understandable (almost one dialect in every valley).
But even counting different languages in Spain, the dialectal differences in Great Britain are FAR MORE pronounced.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Scot

Mallorquin, Valencian and now "Eastern Aragonese" are all dialectal forms of Catalan.
Andalucia has more than 20 dialects, some almost not mutually understandable.
For example, Western Andalusian passed to the Canaries and America, extremelly different from Eastern Andalusian, from Cordobés, Granaino, Jienense, etc.
Basque has more than 200 dialects, some not mutually understandable (almost one dialect in every valley).
But even counting different languages in Spain, the dialectal differences in Great Britain are FAR MORE pronounced.
Yes they are dialects from Catalan. I like them all especially Mallorquin but I'll stick to Castilian My fiancé and I regularly squabble because I want him to speak proper Spanish
Andaluz takes a lot of getting used to, that's for sure.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
I'm sure each nation in which Spanish is spoken has different accents within it as well. Let's not forget that in Latin America, words from the native languages (Maya, etc.) made their way into the Spanish vocabulary.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
It's definitely true, that in Argentina and Uruguay, words are pronounced as "J" instead of as "Y" in all other Hispanic countries.

example, yo (I) = "jo"
llamar (to be named) = "jamar" vs. yamar
llegar (to arrive) = "jegar" vs. yegar
lluvar (to rain) = "juvar" vs. yuvar
amarillo (yellow) = "amarijo" vs. amariyo
llena (full) = "Jena" vs. yena
silla (seat) = "seja" vs. seya
llano (plains) = "jano" vs. yano
llantas (car tires) - "jantas" vs. yantas
llorar (to cry) = "jorar" vs. yorar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World