Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is only a formality now. Anyone can buy an invitation from a travel agent specializing in Russia. Alternatively, you can pay for a package tour, or devise your own itinerary and pre-pay the hotels (same as during the USSR), and you're set. Adventurous travelers don't let anything stop them. Not even the Russian bureaucracy, lol!
Sure, for the adventurous and in-the-know traveler, but a more casual traveler, upon seeing such a requirement, would simply give up on Russia and not know this was the case. There's many other countries in the world and they would probably just decide to go see Poland or Croatia or some other beautiful Slavic country that seems to actually want casual tourists and doesn't have unnecessary legal obstacles to navigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
It is not complicated at all to travel to Russia, the visa process is simple.

Driving around is different, and rather dangerous. The drivers suck, they drive as if life is cheap and worthless, even their own. Also, the low level bribery you have to pay to get from point A to B makes it one big hassle; you actually have to be aggressive with some of these idiot police who try their con game about how you are doing something wrong.

The roads are horribly maintained, at least I had a Prado.

But for the less adventurous, Russia is still an easy country to do. Moscow is like any other tourist destination really, they do keep a tight lid on the place because tourism is business, you will not find the hassles and inconveniences like in many other areas of the country. It is easy travel to St. Pete which is a wonderful city and much more preferable to Moscow.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:48 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
But unless they are less than in the U.S.? Ruth also said that any travel agency can do it all for youBut I want to note that the last time in this area, there are significant changes.
There is a long list of major Western countries whose citizens can visit the U.S. as tourists without a visa. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of Russia. But then I shouldn't be surprised... according to a certain other Russian poster here, the USSR never really went away.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
Quote:
It is not complicated at all to travel to Russia, the visa process is simple.
We have to send our passports to Ottawa, along with a check of several hundreds per applicant..
Russia Tourist Visa Instructions for Canadian Citizens

edit: good news, the visa fees have come down significantly

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There is a long list of major Western countries whose citizens can visit the U.S. as tourists without a visa. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of Russia. But then I shouldn't be surprised... according to a certain other Russian poster here, the USSR never really went away.
Have been more than 20 years. Why do you think that the Soviet Union not ...? Also, there are many countries that do not need a visa to travel to Russia.As there are many countries that require a visa to travel to the U.S.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
We have to send our passports to Ottawa, along with a check of several hundreds per applicant..
Russia Tourist Visa Instructions for Canadian Citizens

edit: good news, the visa fees have come down significantly
Thanks for the information, I read it. Is it difficult? I see no interference. Though if you go on a tour - the agency is all done for you Agency .

Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information, I read it. Is it difficult? I see no interference. Though if you go on a tour - the agency is all done for you Agency .
I think BIMBAM's comment is spot on -- it's not "difficult", but it's not as easy as many other places where you basically have _nothing_ to do to visit. As a Canadian citizen, Russia, Belarus and Macedonia are the only 3 European countries for which I need a tourist visa. I'm sure that's a deterrent for some people.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Have been more than 20 years. Why do you think that the Soviet Union not ...? Also, there are many countries that do not need a visa to travel to Russia.As there are many countries that require a visa to travel to the U.S.
I am perfectly aware that the Soviet Union no longer exists, but a certain other Russian poster here seems to think otherwise...

Here is the list of countries whose citizens don't need a visa to enter the U.S. as tourists:

Andorra
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brunei
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
the Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

Leaving out the four micro-states on the list, that's 35 rich, First World countries whose citizens can come to the U.S. without a visa.

Now let's take a look at Russia's visa-free list for ordinary (non-diplomatic) passport holders:

Argentina
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Croatia
Cuba
Ecuador
Guatemala
Israel
Kazakstan
Kyrgyzstan
Macedonia
Moldova
Montenegro
Nicaragua
Peru
Serbia
Tajikistan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
Uruguay
Uzbekistan
Venezuela

That's 28 countries, only ONE of which can reasonably be described as a rich First World country. (I didn't include the two fake countries that Russia recognizes but that no one else does.)

Now which group do you think represents the more desirable (and lucrative) source of tourism?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is only a formality now. Anyone can buy an invitation from a travel agent specializing in Russia. Alternatively, you can pay for a package tour, or devise your own itinerary and pre-pay the hotels (same as during the USSR), and you're set. Adventurous travelers don't let anything stop them. Not even the Russian bureaucracy, lol!
No, its not. When we goto Russia we must apply for a Visa. When we goto USA, Canada or Australia, for example, we just book our flight and go. You only get 30 days. When you goto Canada you get 6 months.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No, its not. When we goto Russia we must apply for a Visa. When we goto USA, Canada or Australia, for example, we just book our flight and go. You only get 30 days. When you goto Canada you get 6 months.
Yes, it is only a formality. Meaning it's very easily dealt with, not like before, when you had to get a legit invitation from an officially-recognized entity (if you weren't going on a tourist visa). Tourist visas always were easy to get; all you had to do is pay your internal travel expenses upfront to a travel agency that had connections with Intourist, the Soviet travel office. And the 30-day visa restriction is history now, as well. You get 90 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World