Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:38 PM

28 posts, read 41,062 times

Advertisements

Well? I would especially like to hear from those outside the U.S.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
There's a TV show based in it. That's probably all the average person could tell you about Miami. That, and maybe it's a tropical city.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:52 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,042,856 times
Cocaine capital of the US!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
I was dissapointed... but I also liked at the same time.

I like the luxury I saw... the promenades, the opportunity to see crocodiles not far, the cheap shopping you can do, the exotic of the tropical weather, the beaches...

But I was dissappointed because that's all, anything else there, I have to admit that I like History and I am very used to the European cities, but I expected a bit more about some things.

The airport is a bit scruffy to be "Miami Airport" fans in the walls, old carpet floor... etc.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post

But I was dissappointed because that's all, anything else there, I have to admit that I like History and I am very used to the European cities, but I expected a bit more about some things.
You do realize, don't you, that Miami has only around 100 years of history?

US northeastern industrialists put it on the map in the 1890s-1920s period, the so-called Guilded Age of the US, building hotels, railroad track and a few villas inspired by 17th century or so Spanish/Italian style, the most notable of which in Miami is called Vizcaya. Did you visit it? Also Coral Gables features some European Mediterranean style architecture here and there.

Its development from that period was interrupted by hurricanes, depression, and war.

It resumed in the 1950s as a tourism and retirement mecca for US northern middle/working class with the widespread introduction of air-conditioning, refrigeration and air travel, and its character was transformed starting in the 1960s with Cuban immigration.

Miami has started developing the infrastructure to make it more competitive in the global economy less than 10 years ago, mostly as a link between the north, central, and south Americas.

"Disappointment" is a measure of how badly we measure reality.

Last edited by bale002; 11-26-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You do realize, don't you, that Miami has only around 100 years of history?

US northeastern industrialists put it on the map in the 1890s-1920s period, the so-called Guilded Age of the US, building hotels, railroad track and a few villas inspired by 17th century or so Spanish/Italian style, the most notable of which in Miami is called Vizcaya. Did you visit it? Also Coral Gables features some European Mediterranean style architecture here and there.

Its development from that period was interrupted by hurricanes, depression, and war.

It resumed in the 1950s as a tourism and retirement mecca for US northern middle/working class, and its character was transformed starting in the 1960s with Cuban immigration.

Miami has started developing the infrastructure to make it more competitive in the global economy less than 10 years ago, mostly as a link between the north, central, and south Americas.

"Disappointment" is a measure of how badly we measure reality.
I know it is a young city, in fact I said "I admit I am used to historical places blabla" for that reason, apart from that I would come back, why not... but you people must learn to admit other opinions... the thread was a question about personal views indeed.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I was dissapointed... but I also liked at the same time.

I like the luxury I saw... the promenades, the opportunity to see crocodiles not far, the cheap shopping you can do, the exotic of the tropical weather, the beaches...

The airport is a bit scruffy to be "Miami Airport" fans in the walls, old carpet floor... etc.
To be honest I certainly wouldnt mind being there right now........even if it was just for the beach! The end of November is not the best time for being 50 degrees North! :-(

Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest I certainly wouldnt mind being there right now........even if it was just for the beach! The end of November is not the best time for being 50 degrees North! :-(
Amen to that!

Miami for me (never been there, so no actual experience of the city): subtropical, beaches, Spanish as predominant language, Cubans, Tony Montana, cocaine, Miami Vice, Capital of the Carribean, tourists, neon, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, girls in bikinis, alligators

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,056,060 times
It's a place I would enjoy for a holiday, but I couldn't live there.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Pretty frantic in the highways, but out of the traffic, I found Miami to be a pretty decent place. I'm most familiar with Kendall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World