Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
From first hand experience - I think this is very accurate! Those damn aboots!! There are some other key words that just SCREAM i'm not from here - I'm Canadian lol.. On a 'positive' note - they are often surprised that I spoke 'fluent' English.

CB RCMP Clip - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Well the accents have never been vastly different since the founding of the continent - remember, it was the same people from the UK that split up into Canada and the US, it's not like they came from different countries aside from the French Canadians.

TV and media definitely have a huge influence on how you speak. Otherwise, how do you account for people in say Texas or New York having a neutral sounding accent? I know people that sound like newscasters even though they grew up around people with heavy Jewish or Italian New York accents. They sound more like someone from California than someone from New York - it's partially because of media influence growing up and hanging out with friends that also have a neutral accent. Sometimes it's also an urban vs suburban influence. Often people from the suburbs in any state sound fairly neutral, whereas in more of the urban pockets, they have heavier local accents.
I don't think it's so much TV but rather education and the fact that many of these people don't have deep roots in those areas. I also think that the accents in places like NYC have never been as strong as some people think. It's not like everyone in the 1930s in Manhattan talked like a gangster.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
LOL nice - I miss John Candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Old 04-17-2013, 08:38 PM

340 posts, read 913,981 times
Only when Canadians say Z, eh, or any word containing "ou"

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post

As far as regional comparisons go, I find the neutral Canadian accent to be much closer to California than any other state, even any of the midwestern states. Then again, neutral is neutral anywhere you go in North America. But I think the extreme midwestern or upper midwestern accents sound nothing like neutral Canadian accents. Neutral Canadian accents sound more similar to how the average person on the west coast would speak outside of the valley girl outliers.
I disagree with that. I went to British Colombia. While there are a few women I've heard with Californian type accents, mostly in Vancouver. I've heard more people that with accents which sounded similar to Upper Midwestern accents like Minnesota. Especially outside of the cities.

The Canadian Border Official I've dealt with sounded like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3Mdb6qYHA

Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
No I dont think Canadians sound like Americans. I have lived in both countries and to me there is a very clear difference.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
It largely depends on region and speaker. to my Californian ears, Canadians sound more like me than a person from Oklahoma does. Pamela Anderson sounds exactly like most women from California. Jim Carey is almost the same but words like "sorry" and Progress" give him away as he uses the long "O" sound.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM

Pamela Anderson, a Canadian, sounds more like the women I'm around everday than Spencer grammer, a native of Los Angeles.
Pamela on The Ellen DeGeneres Show - March 18, 2010 (Full Interview) - YouTube

Spencer Grammer: Greek Set Visit Interview - YouTube

Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 AM

Carly Pope is from Vancouver

Carly Pope Interview for YPF - YouTube

Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No I dont think Canadians sound like Americans. I have lived in both countries and to me there is a very clear difference.
Agreed. Even accents that are suppose to sound similar to Canadian accents (mid-Western, etc) still sound different.

Also, using actors as an example of accents is not a good representative. Many of them change their accents or go through voice training. Plus Pamela Anderson haven't lived in Canada since the '90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World