Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Canadians sound like Americans?
No, I can tell the accents apart easily, regardless of the generation of speakers 72 24.16%
Older Canadians don't, but younger Canadians have that American twang 14 4.70%
They sound somewhat like Americans but not exactly 156 52.35%
Canadians of all ages sound like Americans to me 56 18.79%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

They both sound exactly the same to me. I find the New Zealand and Australian accent easier to differentiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
no i cant tell the difference between the two and i have relatives in vancouver

Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Personally I think the two accents sound pretty different. Canadian is certainly the closest foreign accent to sounding American (next IMO would be the accent of Northern Ireland) and on first listen, it might sound American but I think it has a lot of different features. For one thing, they tend to not draw out vowel sounds, they say quite a few words differently and of course they pronounce the vowel in 'about' and 'house' differently.
It's called Canadian Raising: Canadian raising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and my understanding is that it's not prevalent in all of Canada and can even be found in areas of northern US.

Quote:
I would never mistake a British Columbian for a Texan, or an Ontarian for someone from Kansas.
No, but then you'd never mistake a New Yorker for a Texan either.

There was no "Some do, some don't" option on the poll so I did not vote.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:56 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
I'm from the midwest and I have trouble telling a Canadian accent, unless they say out or about. I'm often asked in the UK if I'm Canadian. However, many here have learned to ask that because when Canadians are asked if they are American they get insulted and angry. Not so the other way around.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:07 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
I can't tell the difference I have a hard time distinguishing American accents too, they all sound pretty much the same to me except for very strong Southern accents. I'm not a native speaker, perhaps that explains it. It's easier to recognise subtle differences when you're immersed in the language.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
I think there is a strong difference and can discern them quickly. I suppose that is because I live in SE Michigan where we frequently hear Canadians not only in person, but also Canadian TV and radio stations.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I can't tell the difference I have a hard time distinguishing American accents too, they all sound pretty much the same to me except for very strong Southern accents. I'm not a native speaker, perhaps that explains it. It's easier to recognise subtle differences when you're immersed in the language.
i love the dutch accent

Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Well, they do sound similar. But, I can tell the difference. Except, if perhaps they were from Toronto.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
They both sound exactly the same to me. I find the New Zealand and Australian accent easier to differentiate.
They sound the exact same to me. No difference at all to my ear.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
If you're used to them then yes, they are very different. It's like any accents. People in the US often ask me if I'm Australian (I'm British) because they are not used to hearing the accents regularly. I couldn't tell the difference between New Zealand and Australia until I spent 6 months in New Zealand and could understand the differences.
I hear this a lot (Americans not being able to differentiate Australian from British accents) and I don't get it. Those must be some very sheltered, provincial people. Australian accents are extraordinarily distinct in my opinion. Maybe some Americans get hung up on non-Rhoticism. I met a Californian who thought I was British at first because, years ago, I had a non-Rhotic New York accent. Maybe that is the cause of the error.

Admittedly, I can't tell the difference between New Zealanders and Aussies until I'm told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World