Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Chicago 54 36.00%
Paris 96 64.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times

Advertisements

Not really a fair comparison. Chicago is a great city but it's never going to beat Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM

50 posts, read 75,402 times
Lived in Chicago ... Loved it !
Visited Paris many times for project work... Such great atmosphere

Although you could link similarities (example, elegance), at the end of the day, they are very different, and each having its greatness...

I would pick Chicago over Paris, because it is more alive and diverse, and at the end of the day more interesting day to day.
Paris after a while seems to be too much the same and filled with drones of tourist

Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
Just stay outside main tourist sights, you will see almost no tourists and more diversity.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1000 View Post
I would pick Chicago over Paris, because it is more alive and diverse, and at the end of the day more interesting day to day.
Seriously?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
Not a fair comparison.

I will always prefer Paris.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Seriously?
Yes seriously
... Paris is not English speaking like UK or USA... and not so open to foreigners
Therefore it attracts mainly on average people from past colonies, and some very niche groups.... Meaning, diversity in Paris comes from a select piece of the pie...

While English speaking global power house of USA and UK, both being more open to foreigners, attract from across the globe.. And these people are more representative in the settling countries, while in France , they need to more (I feel) assimilate with the proud superb French (This stereo type is not to offend anyone) .... Im from Italy and feel that France is very similar to the mentalities.. That is how I know

Going back to my original point

Paris is in France , and is very french with some outside influences
Chicago is in the USA, and is very representative of the people of its nation , and its innovation

Hence , why I think and physically saw that Chicago is more diverse , 24 hrs, and lively than Paris

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 AM

More than 40% of Chicago foreign born population come from one single country, Mexico.
The same can't be said for Paris even if you take all the northern African countries combined.

The immigrants in Paris covers a far larger territories than the former French Colonies.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 AM

The main ethnic groups in Chicago include Irish, German, Italian, Mexican, Arab, Jews, English, Bosnian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Czech, Greek, Black, Korean, Chinese, Indian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Lithuanian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Swedish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Belgian and Puerto Rican. Chicago is also home to 30,000 natives of Iran (mostly Azerbaijani). Many of Chicago's politicians have come from the large Irish population, including its previous mayor, Richard M. Daley. The Chicago Metropolitan area is also becoming a major center for Indian Americans and South Asian Americans. Chicago has the second largest South Asian population in the country, after New York City. SOURCE : Wikipedia

Number 1 populations in the world outside of their native country
Greek,
Bulgarian
Polish
Several others come close

You are correct that recently, Mexicans have dominated the welcome to Chicago show...
Im not sure if it is 40%, but yes, it may be ...
However, this is a recent trend "point of time" and not a continuous trend as it has been for several south west cities

I Love Paris ...
and I don't deny that it is more popular, famous , and has more affluence than Chicago... Definitely great history, which Chicago doesn't compare with
However, in my opinion, it is not a greater city than Chicago, and in summary, Chicago is a more exciting, modern, and diverse place to be

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Irish? Italian? What because your grandfathers uncles parrot was born in Ireland in 1842 that makes you Irish? If you and your parents were born and raised in country then you are from that country.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Paris immigration story is neither recent nor only focused on former French Colonies.
You just have to see the origin of the names of the running Candidate for the Paris mayoral of the two largest party of the city.
Left: Anne Hidalgo (Spain)
Right: Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet (Poland-France)

The idea of Paris as an homogeneous city population sole by white people with only French origin and North African immigrants is laughable.
In the modern time history (industrial revolution) Paris always had signifiant foreign born population.

Is Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, whose Polish ancestors immigrated in France during the 19th century, Polish? Obviously no.
Like I am not Italian despite the fact that some of my ancestor immigrated from Italy to France in the early 19th century. I am not Caribbean, even if some of my ancestors moved from the Caribbean to mainland France in the early 20th century.

What I see is that almost half of Chicago foreign born population come from two countries, Mexico and Poland.
While for Paris, to have a similar ratio of foreign born population you have to take most of the former french colonies which comprise a much larger and diverse territories than Mexico and Poland.
In both cities the other half comes from all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World