Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
What is your expection? Native proficiency is not attainable if you are an adult. Professional working proficiency is definitely possible through serious learning and practice. Some proficiency is better than nothing! If you plan to move to Mexico for retirement, even limited working proficiency will make a huge difference!

ILR scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How can you measure your level on that scale?
Are you able to be an ILR 5 without having a perfect accent?
I think im an ILR 5 in english, but my accent sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,331 times
I would have loved to learn another lanague I'm 25 now and thing it would be extremely difficult

From what I've heard though primary schools and nurseries here (scotland) are teaching kids lanagues alot younger, starting at age 3

Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I would have loved to learn another lanague I'm 25 now and thing it would be extremely difficult

From what I've heard though primary schools and nurseries here (scotland) are teaching kids lanagues alot younger, starting at age 3
The older you get the more difficult it will get. Start now while you are still 25.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
im planning to learn irish this year , im not good at languages , once took a spanish class and was the slowest there
You are certainly not setting the bar low!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 700 times
Default Late Foreign Language Learners

Hey, accents are sweet! But seriously, accents aside, I've been teaching French adults conversational English for the last 13 years. I've noticed some very interesting things in that time--young students, esp. those who have spent some time in Anglophone countries as kids, do very well later in life, as if the few weeks or months they spent in England or the US, planted verbal seeds for future learning. The students I feel sorriest for, the ones who make the least progress, are forty-fifty-somethings whose ears have rarely or ever been exposed to the music of English (remember, unlike Finland or Portugal, ALL forms of TV, film, are voiced-over by French actors). Thus, a forty-fifty-something in France is nearly unteachable. Their brain has been hard-wired for French only. I draw a picture of an apple, I say "That's a fruit." I then draw a picture of a banana, and I say, "That's a fruit too!" BUT, I say, like languages, they are DIFFERENT! What an older French learner of English does is to create, what I call, and draw, a banapple. Their brains refuse to see two different languages as two separate entities or species. It's a bummer to realize this, both for the teacher and the student. I used to think I could teach anyone to speak English--I was wrong. The only consolation is that it's neither my nor the student's fault.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I always thought they be speaking Italian up there... Or maybe Latin or Aramaic.
Hebrew, of course! lol

Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksud90 View Post
Even though I know that you can "learn" at any age, at which does it become harder to perfect it? Is there an age at which you can never get rid of the accent?

Has anyone had an experience learning a language at a later age? If so what age, and how bad is your accent?
The ability of learning a foreign language and getting rid of accent are two different things and have nothing to do with each other.

IMO, it's never too late to learn a foreign language.

Only very few (adult) learners will be able to get rid of their accents. However, having an accent does not prevent one from speaking a foreign language fluently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World