Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 AM

104 posts, read 452,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You are really selling me on Melbourne. I'd love to visit a city as you described it.

Is Sydney strongly car-oriented and lacking a sufficient subway system and such?
australia has some great and poor public transport perth and melbourne having the best here in adelaide it stinks(the public transport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Sydney strongly car-oriented and lacking a sufficient subway system and such?
Yes. But it has a crap freeway system, small network and some of them are very narrow. Once I was driving on one of their inner city freeways, only 2 lanes and so narrow that i didn't dare overtake the truck infront of me for fear of shearing both my rear-view mirrors off Sydney does have a decent train network though.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,896 times
How about Vancouver, BC Canada .....has a marine west coast climate ....
beautiful snow capped mountains ....huge chinese population (similiar to SF)
...it has arts/culture ...and rapid transit (not as good as SF's BART)
...lots of movies and TV shows are shot in Vancouver

Old 05-01-2008, 02:05 PM

312 posts, read 1,519,302 times
Vancouver is COLDER than San Francisco

Old 05-02-2008, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 411,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroperro View Post
I currently live in San Francisco, my hometown, and am absolutely an urban girl. After living in NYC for 10 years I find this place pretty provincial, and I hate hiking and camping, which is pretty important to people here. I work in arts administration and find very few employment opportunities here for that, (unless I want to work in advertising, which I don't) plus the cost of living here makes that nearly impossible. And I hate the public transportation, but of course, I am used to NYC.

Anyway, I am ready to move, and I wonder if anyone has suggestions for cities around the world that are comparable to San Francisco in climate and beauty but also have world class arts institutions, great public transportation, and that I could afford on an arts administration salary (roughly 50,000USD a year). Moving to NYC is an option just because so many employment opportunities are there, but somehow it seems even too congested for me now that I am 38, and I don't know if I could go back to being that strapped for cash all the time.

Okay, thanks for reading! Look forward to learning more about cities on this forum...
If I was in your shoes, I'd go to Barcelona. But then again, if I was in your shoes, I'd consider myself very lucky to live a dream life in San Fransisco, and if people tiresomely talk about the endless greatness of hiking, I'd change the subject or just leave the room.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,012 times
Default Re: You might want to consider Washington, DC...

I would say you should look into Washington, DC. I would go to the pages here on DC, and read up about it.

I say this because DC has a lot to offer culturally, and the Smithsonian is a phenomenal institution. I just wrote a comment about its resident program. For someone like yourself in arts administration, I think you might like it.

By the way, I have lived in NYC, Berkeley (i.e., outside of SF where you are now), and overseas in England (where I currently am with my husband), S. Korea, and Israel. Travel-wise, I've also been to Australia, so I'm familiar (but only as a tourist) with Melbourne.

I put this in to say that from your description of what you want and what you like, DC may well be a very interesting and manageable city for you.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:09 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,589,981 times
Smile hi- a few suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroperro View Post
I currently live in San Francisco, my hometown, and am absolutely an urban girl. After living in NYC for 10 years I find this place pretty provincial, and I hate hiking and camping, which is pretty important to people here. I work in arts administration and find very few employment opportunities here for that, (unless I want to work in advertising, which I don't) plus the cost of living here makes that nearly impossible. And I hate the public transportation, but of course, I am used to NYC.

Anyway, I am ready to move, and I wonder if anyone has suggestions for cities around the world that are comparable to San Francisco in climate and beauty but also have world class arts institutions, great public transportation, and that I could afford on an arts administration salary (roughly 50,000USD a year). Moving to NYC is an option just because so many employment opportunities are there, but somehow it seems even too congested for me now that I am 38, and I don't know if I could go back to being that strapped for cash all the time.

Okay, thanks for reading! Look forward to learning more about cities on this forum...
I have only been to a few countries, but London is beautiful and eclectic, a good selection of Art Museums (National Portrait Gallery) and amazing architecture. The mass transit is easy, and clean.

I never lived in S.F. and being recently divorced, it intrigued me as a city, having been from NY originally. I am still confused about which US city to move to.

One place you may like is Boston, it is more european in feel, beautiful old brownstones, and less cost of living than NYC. The Public Garden and Back Bay area is beautiful, and of course the museums. Boston is definitely less congested than NYC and I am still considering it. Let me know what you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World