Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times

Advertisements

Oh, yes, absolutely! We Americans are ALL alike -- walk and talk just the same as each other, but very distinctly from the rest of the world. And on our 18th birthday, we have to pass a test in order to get our "walking papers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
actually when ever we go to Europe its not hard to tell we aren't from there, its a combination of dress, walk and probably clothing
Americans come to the causeway in flocks every single year and the only way you will know that they are american is that they have the accent. And this nonsense about the dress code of shorts etc. Well I would say thats nonsense also because the americans that I have seen visiting Northern Ireland have not dressed like that, in-fact they have dressed smartly with dresses etc. Just like us.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
One thing bothered me about Obama was his body language when he was first elected. He SWAGGERED when he walked as if he were a pirate. This swagger is typical of most Americans who lack respect for anything. The walk around in foreign lands as if they own the place. You can always spot an America by his or her swagger...on the other hand is you watch old school Asians from China...they take those little submissive steps that are almost genetic after centuries of submission through their old class system...Have you ever noticed how they walk....they shuffle as if their ankles are chained together- Americans walk like victors even when they are losers.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm sorry but what on under god is a swagger?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Who in the heck walks with a swagger? Why would any American walk with a swagger when overseas? Absolutely ridiculous assumptions. We are all individuals just like people everywhere else, each with our own oddities in our walk. I probably walk different from my neighbor, who walks differently from his neighbor, etc. So none of us are alike in that, and certainly wouldn't have any swagger or cockiness in our walk when we happen to be overseas.
Most of us when we are overseas don't walk different, but probably act a bit timid if anything, because we are so far out of our element! (especially if it's a country where the language is one that we do not speak)

Old 04-11-2013, 02:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I'm sorry but what on under god is a swagger?
You've seriously never heard the word swagger before? That's surprising to me, it's a very common English verb meaning to walk or strut with an arrogant, defiant or insolent air.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You've seriously never heard the word swagger before? That's surprising to me, it's a very common English verb meaning to walk or strut with an arrogant, defiant or insolent air.
It sounds a Black American word. And yes I have but i've never taken the time to look it up because nobody uses it and I really don't care.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Id say a much more confident walk too... with a laid back ease.. I like it...you can tell a lot about people by their walk...walks fascinate me.... and its easy to identify characters by the way people walk, poorer people seem to slouch.. as do some devious types who walk with their heads down a lot... a walk is a big giveaway I think..
I guess it's just you and me dizzy who understand the dynamics of someone's walking style. If this thread were retitled something like "What your walk says about you" maybe we'd have a nice discussion wthout all the defensiveness and vitriol.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the subject:

* I've actually seen men (usually urban American underclass) who walk as if their penises are heavy. Like it takes extra care and back support to slowly move all that mass down the street.

* Would we men have contempt for an attractive woman's swagger as she moves her hips in high heels down the sidewalk? (of course not)

* Women who don't wear heels often are easy to spot.

* I feel I can usually tell whether a man is athletic or not by their walk.

* I met an Estonian woman once who's walk was so elegant, languid and a little stiff, that I thought she was a higher being.

* This one's obvious: on the job, faster walking equates with higher levels of success.

* People who answer every thread with a bug up their arse, probably walk the same way.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
* I've actually seen men (usually urban American underclass) who walk as if their penises are heavy. Like it takes extra care and back support to slowly move all that mass down the street.
That's from all the socks they have stuffed down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
* Would we men have contempt for an attractive woman's swagger as she moves her hips in high heels down the sidewalk? (of course not)
Ahem. Women don't "swagger". We sashay.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Who in the heck walks with a swagger? Why would any American walk with a swagger when overseas?
I can picture a Texan swaggering overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World