Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:34 PM

391 posts, read 754,009 times

Advertisements

I just checked an interesting list here:
List of metropolitan areas by intentional homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as you can see, Sao Paolo, Brazil had a staggering 11,321 homicides in year 2000 alone...and 11,214 the year after!

That is an insane amounts of murders. That's about 31 murders a day, for a whole year!

Is there any city that can beat that? In history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
In 1221, the city of Herat, Afghanistan, population at least 1.6 million (some estimate 2.4 million), had a homicide rate of 100%, with virtually ever resident of the city murdered.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In 1221, the city of Herat, Afghanistan, population at least 1.6 million (some estimate 2.4 million), had a homicide rate of 100%, with virtually ever resident of the city murdered.
Well lets not count wars in the picture, shall we?

Old 10-19-2013, 06:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
If we're looking at places with an atypical, high level violence between groups, usually in the context of a weak state, which is what's often going to have the highest homicide rate being an outlier, the lines between crime and war related violence often are quite blurred. Much of the violence in inner city USA and Sao Paulo involves war between rival non-state actors. In some of the highest incident rates of homicide (I'm thinking Alexandria in the 4th century AD), the cultural reasons for the violence had religious, ethnic, and political dimensions as well as the motivations of accumulating more wealth. There is rarely a clean distinction here, but I guess I'll take war in the context of people not from the city coming and killing the people from the city. So the murders from the sack of Rome shouldn't count, but the killings imposed by the Spanish Inquisition should. In that paradigm, I think the highest homicide rate for one city in recent times must have been Kigali in 1994.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
I just checked an interesting list here:
List of metropolitan areas by intentional homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as you can see, Sao Paolo, Brazil had a staggering 11,321 homicides in year 2000 alone...and 11,214 the year after!

That is an insane amounts of murders. That's about 31 murders a day, for a whole year!

Is there any city that can beat that? In history?
As usual, my city is all of the time under the spotlight only, uniquely, when the subject is negative. In all of the bad rankings, there is São Paulo always amongst the top ten cities. I'm seriously becoming convinced that I live in the worst place of the world. Ugliest city of the world, most unequal, worst traffic jam, highest rate of people with mental diseases, dirtiest rivers, worst level of green area per inhabitant, now the most violent... what's the next?

The reality: there was really a peak at that time, out of control - when the situation of the city budget was near the bankruptcy after twelve years under disastrous mayors, and later the police worked and is working hard for mitigating this. Currently São Paulo is one of the less violent large cities of Brazil and is not even in the top ten of the world.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 10-19-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM

Note: I'm live in São Paulo since my birth in 1982 and I'm still alive. No, I don't have fear of walking outside my home. And I never suffered any sort of urban violence.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Didn't mean to bash your town Fabio, I'm sure Sao Paolo is a great city (at least in some areas). I'm just presenting the facts here.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
It wasn't a war. Herat was an undefended city of unarmed citizens. Each person was killed individually, in the streets and in their homes, with no weapons of mass destruction.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It wasn't a war. Herat was an undefended city of unarmed citizens. Each person was killed individually, in the streets and in their homes, with no weapons of mass destruction.
Looks to me like it was a war:

"The Old City of Herat in Western Afghanistan has a long history of rebuilding and restoration. The city was destroyed twice by the Mongols, in 1221 A.D. and 1383 A.D., and was reconstructed as the capital of the Central Asia’s Timurid Empire in the 15th century."

Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Didn't mean to bash your town Fabio, I'm sure Sao Paolo is a great city (at least in some areas). I'm just presenting the facts here.
I'm aware of this, and I'm not feeling personally offended; don't worry. It's sad to read only bad things about the place where we are born and live - and also because we don't perceive the place as so bad as it's generally depicted. But be sure, it's not your fault, it only shows me the sad reality.

But there is a fact, since about 1980 the city suffers with bad administration. One of the former mayors of the city - few years before the explosion of violence - is wanted by Interpol. Nowadays we have a mayor of the Workers' Party - the same of Dilma Rousseff. They refuse to do the improvements in the urban infrastructure with the excuse of investing on the social issues - but they don't invest. Believe or not, many politicians and other personalities linked to the Workers' Party prevent any initiative of giving a decent home to street dwellers or to the people living in slums, because 'they have the right of living in these miserable places'. Thus, the 'social' for them is granting the right for people to live precariously.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 10-20-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World