Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 AM

647 posts, read 797,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yes el orfanato is quite good too, and also The Others (Los Otros) with Nicole Kidman it is actually another Spanish film with American actors.

About books I reccomend you Ruiz Zafon, he has great books like Marina.

How about sitcoms ot TV series? we have plenty but not sure if they have gone further than Europe lol
When I've watched "The Others" alone at night and I couldn't sleep after. Do you know about "Mama" movie? It's a new spanish scary movie, I heard the movie likes "el orfanato". Also I like "El laberinto del fauno", although this is not a scary movie, but still pretty creepy.
I remember only one spanish TV series about the Police, the name is "Policías, en el corazón de la calle", but it was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Cervantes and Lorca are pretty well known it seems.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Strange because as a former colony of Spain, Spanish films, books and songs should be popular in the Philippines but they are not because Filipinos cannot speak Spanish anymore.
It's not really their fault though, Spanish and English were battling it out during the American colonial period but Spanish had a bit of an edge in most respects. But then Manila, the heart of the Spanish speaking culture in the Phillipines, was destroyed in WW2, as were many, many Spanish speakers, and the language never recovered from that event.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:05 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's not really their fault though, Spanish and English were battling it out during the American colonial period but Spanish had a bit of an edge in most respects. But then Manila, the heart of the Spanish speaking culture in the Phillipines, was destroyed in WW2, as were many, many Spanish speakers, and the language never recovered from that event.
I wish the Americans didn't really replace Spanish with English. When they took over, English was promoted and it eventually replaced Spanish. Puerto Rico was also taken over by Americans but they were still able to keep Spanish, so atleast for them they can speak 2 of the most important languages in the world.
I like Spanish. It is a very beautiful language and the no. 1 most beautiful language to me. I prefer it more than English.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-14-2013 at 03:05 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Not in Australia. It is strange that there are not many Spanish people in Australia. There are loads of Italians and Dutch but hardly any French or Spanish.

The only Spanish actors that are known here are Antonio Banderas, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem. Javier is a fantasic actor. I loved him in Skyfall and No Country for Old Men.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
When I've watched "The Others" alone at night and I couldn't sleep after. Do you know about "Mama" movie? It's a new spanish scary movie, I heard the movie likes "el orfanato". Also I like "El laberinto del fauno", although this is not a scary movie, but still pretty creepy.
I remember only one spanish TV series about the Police, the name is "Policías, en el corazón de la calle", but it was a long time ago.
No I haven't watched Mama yet. but I want to.

For those ones who lice poetry, Lorca, Cervantes etc I can reccommend you Becquer, the romantic poet with great legends and poems.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Books from Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia), Mario Vargas Llosa (Peru), Octavio Paz (Mexico), Juan Rulfo (Mexico), Carlos Fuentes (Mexico), Jorge Luis Borges (Argentina), Julio Cortazar (Argentina), among others are widely known in the world.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
The average person knows about:

Almodovar, bunuel
cervantes, lope de vega, garcia lorca

Old 05-19-2013, 02:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Mainstream wise, not at all. The overwhelming majority of Spanish language entertainment in the US is produced from Latin America, with Mexico being the largest exporter. The only country whose films enjoy wide exposure in the US are British films. Most Americans don't like watching subbed or dubbed movies and TV shows, unless if it's from Japan.
A surprisingly large chunk of Spanish language entertainment is also produced within the US too.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 AM

370 posts, read 950,980 times
As somebody pointed out, most Spanish movies are limited to special movie theaters, "arte y ensayo", places where they only project foreign and cult movies and to University movie theaters. Most hispanics watch Univision or Hispanic chains....

In the case of Miami and NY, many people watch Spanish chains offered by cable. In fact, some Spanish chains there are ditching Mexican chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World