Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels grander, more impressive?
Paris 18 60.00%
Buenos Aires 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Buenos Aires, Argentina - Top Things To Do - YouTube

I've seen some videos of Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the sense of scale is just so impressive! The avenues are so broad and seem to go on forever, there are some huge magnificent European style buildings. It seems to have a vibrant cafe/restaurant/nightlife scene.

I'm wondering how it compares to Paris, especially in terms of 'grandness' and scale. E.g. what would the Champs Elysee compare to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,844,521 times
São Paulo looks more "large scale" to me. But yeah Buenos Aires looks huge.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
I ve been in Paris last year, LOVED it (my favourite city in the world) and i live in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires looks actually much bigger and even crowder than Paris. This might have to do with BA having all this huge tall buildings and Paris not. In BA i get the feeling that it is so big, everything is far away, Paris seems more compacted. A lot of people in both cities but BA can actually overhwelm you with all the people, and the insane traffic yada yada. Maybe im just saying this cause i live here, but you can really tell the 13 millon habitants and sometimes it gets annoying. Everything everywhere is always full of people.

So grande, larger: Buenos Aires
More impressive: Paris

Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I ve been in Paris last year, LOVED it (my favourite city in the world) and i live in Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires looks actually much bigger and even crowder than Paris. This might have to do with BA having all this huge tall buildings and Paris not. In BA i get the feeling that it is so big, everything is far away, Paris seems more compacted. A lot of people in both cities but BA can actually overhwelm you with all the people, and the insane traffic yada yada. Maybe im just saying this cause i live here, but you can really tell the 13 millon habitants and sometimes it gets annoying. Everything everywhere is always full of people.

So grande, larger: Buenos Aires
More impressive: Paris
Yes Paris has more narrow medieval streets, and probably feels older than BA. BA's grand very wide streets just seem like nothing in Europe though.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
These are two of my favourite cities in the world. I love them both. Both cities have very similar metro area populations.

Paris has more impressive grandeur in my opinion and feels sleeker and better maintained. Buenos Aires is certainly busier on the streets in more areas (Paris does have areas as busy as areas of Bs As however.)

Also, Paris can feel bigger when you approach it from outside because it sprawls out more over a greater distance. On the other hand the average height of buildings in Bs As is higher than in Paris so this may make some people think it feels bigger.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are two of my favourite cities in the world. I love them both. Both cities have very similar metro area populations.

Paris has more impressive grandeur in my opinion and feels sleeker and better maintained. Buenos Aires is certainly busier on the streets in more areas (Paris does have areas as busy as areas of Bs As however.)

Also, Paris can feel bigger when you approach it from outside because it sprawls out more over a greater distance. On the other hand the average height of buildings in Bs As is higher than in Paris so this may make some people think it feels bigger.
Interesting, so Paris is more sprawling? I would assume BA has more high-rises, but Paris is high density throughout. Paris city is denser than London.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting, so Paris is more sprawling? I would assume BA has more high-rises, but Paris is high density throughout. Paris city is denser than London.
But Paris is about 1/5 of the metro population. Many of the suburbs are much lower density than Paris proper. I'd guess Buenos Aires suburbs are higher density than Parisan suburbs.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
I've been to Paris but never been to Buenos Aires before. It's something I plan on seeing at some point.

My impression is that Paris probably feels denser, it feels like the most dense European city I've been to so far (even more so than London).

However, I think on size or at least the look a size brings, this one is probably Buenos Aires: All sizes | Buenos Aires Skyline in Color | 111109-2-jikatu | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Most Latin American cities just look like a sea of skyscrapers.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM

56 posts, read 119,045 times
Paris or Buenos Aires?
Tough choice.
I take Pattaya, Thailand over both anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World