Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I feel like you are selectively deciding which innovation you like and which you don't.
You're right, I am. I am distinguishing between innovations that lead directly to an enhanced quality of life for all citizens (medical research and public transportation), and innovations that lead directly to additional dividends and share values for the few rich (increased global sales for Ford).

Most "Fords" sold in China are made in China, by 8,000 Chinese workers, at the Jiangling/Ford joint venture plant. They're just Chinese cars with a Ford badge on the hood, accompanied by gushing pres releases from Ford trumpeting this amazing innovative leap forward in American automotive blah blah blah. The real story: Americans are coming closer and closer to driving Jianglings with Ford badges on the hood. Innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, now you're just in denial.
you really think they're going to spend six billion dollars on a parking garage?
I just quoted from your link. What did it say they were going to spend it on? Biomedical research?

Six billion is over a thousand dollars for every Minnesotan, about $3,000 for every Minnesota household. Isn't there anything else that a typical family in Minnesota could do with $3.000 to improve the quality of their lives? Besides quieter elevator doors in the high-rise medical suites at Mayo?

". . . a deal that clinic officials say would guarantee the world-famous clinic stays and grows in Minnesota."

Looks to me like a thinly veiled threat that Mayo will pull out of Minnesota if they don't get their bribe money. As America's economy decays, grab the billions while the wealth is still there to be grabbed. You're the one in denial.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-21-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I see A LOT of Americans vehemently complaining about their country on C-D. Is there another nation you would rather live in?
I would like to move to Taiwan. I've visited many times and lived in the country for extended periods of time. I'd like to move there, become fluent in Mandarin, and do either translating or technical work.
I'd buy some property on the beautiful East coast, 2 hours from Taipei by train, and build a house there. I'd rent an apartment in Taipei itself (since that's likely where I'd be working), and split my time between the working and playing in the fast-paced and fun city life, and kicking back surfing the warm blue waters of the East coast.

Besides the great transit systems, vibrant city life, nice weather, and good surf, these are the things I would like about living in Taiwan compared to the USA:
+ Low crime rate and no gun crime to speak of (private guns are illegal).
+ Laowei like me are treated very well, because we're still pretty rare there.
+ The entire society is focused on conservation (both of money/resources and of the environment), and the matter is not politicized.
+ Staples are cheap (except for gas) but pay is still high for foreigners.
+ The entire island is connected by rail and very well-kept roads.
+ Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. are all close and make great vacation destinations.
+ The food is awesome!
+ People are polite and somewhat introverted.
+ The schools and educational system are excellent.
+ Healthcare is very inexpensive (nationalized) but very high-quality for everyday needs.
+ Land outside of Taipei--even on the ocean near major cities--is cheap. I could purchase beachfront property and build a large house (out of steel-reinforced concrete to withstand earthquakes and typhoons) for 1/3 of what I am planning to spend on a tiny old rickety 1950's-era wood frame house in the USA.

These are the things I would miss or the reasons keeping me in the USA:
- I would be very far from my family.
- Society is not as open and free-wheeling as the USA.
- Overall pay is lower on a global scale, even if foreigners are paid more than locals.
- I would miss the occasional foray into greasy, over-sweetened, fat-laden American cuisine.
- There is the risk of attack/invasion by the PRC.
- There are severe earthquakes, typhoons, and mudslides.
- Real Estate in Taipei is very overpriced. Rents are reasonable, though.
- My specific line of work is not available in Taiwan. I would have to change jobs to work there.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:40 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would like to stay here, but change things for the better (my way of doing things) and those that stayed would need to bend to my will or they can just love it or leave it.
My sentiments exactly, but you may have to leave it!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,552,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
I never said that other countries don't provide comfortable lifestyles
You implied that you need to be in the US to have a comfortable lifestyle.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Yes! And I moved to Scotland 13 years ago and have no desire to move back.
Have you become a British citizen? If so, did you renounce your American citizenship?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:04 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,552,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you become a British citizen? If so, did you renounce your American citizenship?
I have dual citizenship. The US does not require you to give up citizenship for certain countries, like the UK. I have two passports and vote in both countries.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,178 times
Piers Morgan episode on Dubai. I remember when I briefly visited Dubai there were plenty of Brits over there. Not many Americans though. Not just an absence of United States citizens but of Mexicans, Peruvians, Brazilians and so forth.

Lots of East Indians (unlike in the USA they don't come from middle and upper-class East Indian homes and attend university [as they do in the USA] but are poor East Indians that physically labor) and Catholic Filipinos.

Piers Morgan: Dubai - FULL Documentary HD - World's Most Expensive Places To Visit - YouTube

Anthony Bourdain's food/travel episode on Dubai.

No Reservations - Anthony Bourdain - The Real Dubai - YouTube

Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM

56 posts, read 119,205 times
I am an American and rather be in US but this means nothing in reality as reality dictate choice. And reality in US not pretty at all. Government print money like there is no tomorrow, my real taxes are around 50%, restrictions are mounting.
Country lives in glorious past.
Yes, I will move out.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
I could live in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy or Greece.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
I prefer not living in the US and do so as frequently as possible.

Too much gunz and godz in the US for me; and the violence and hatred of women and minorities, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World