Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
In which city or country would be found the best-spoken people? Such persons would be able to express themselves clearly, and without being pretentious or long-winded. They'd be as snappy in speech and fluent in writing as can be. And maybe, they'd be witty

The well spoken people is able to be discovered, noticed, and seen almost anywhere in the world, in almost any country if they are well educated, know very well the basic elements of languages, and the most essential forms of communication to say for other people.

I wouldn’t overly generalize an entire country or regional place too much in this topic since this is based on a more individual basis, and relative timing for the exact arrangement of events.

There is a noticeable difference between being well spoken in writing vs. well spoken in speech away from writing, and being serious, intellectual vs. having a witty sense of humor vs. honest sincere opinions vs. sarcastic witty joking for entertainment in being well spoken.

The most well spoken people might either show an obvious strength and impressive perfection in some characteristics of speaking well, even with some relative weaknesses in other forms of communication, or they are able to show a balance for all forms of being well spoken.

If the original first poster desperately wants to include a sense of place in regions all over the world for the highest percentage of people being well spoken, relative ubiquitous prominence and popularity in being well spoken, and an easygoing flow in events allowing this occurrence in life to frequently happen, this list is having the highest possibility for qualifying to those characteristics of being well spoken:

France: Ile-de-France-Provence Cote’d Azur, Rhone-Alpes, Alsace, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Corsiva, Tahiti Polynesia
Netherlands
Belgium
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Czech Republic
Some regions of Germany
Austria
Spain: Madrid, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Valencia, Ibiza, Seville
Northern regions of Italy
Argentina
Southern regions of Brazil: Rio Grande Sul, Santa Catarina, Parana, Sao Paulo
Portugal
Australia: Western Australia, Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales Taiwan
Singapore
Malaysia
Some regions of Southern Western India
Canada: Quebec, British Columbia
USA: Pacific Northwest, some of Northeast, New England, some of California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

There is a noticeable difference between being well spoken in writing vs. well spoken in speech away from writing, and being serious, intellectual vs. having a witty sense of humor vs. honest sincere opinions vs. sarcastic witty joking for entertainment in being well spoken.

The most well spoken people might either show an obvious strength and impressive perfection in some characteristics of speaking well, even with some relative weaknesses in other forms of communication, or they are able to show a balance for all forms of being well spoken.
This. For me, regarding serious topics, I tend to write much more eloquently about said topics than I speak about them (especially improvisationally). Even if I were to read aloud certain things I've written of which I'm proud, I'd likely butcher a couple of my own words, use improper cadence while reading them...it's because I'm not accustomed to operating this way in daily life; I've yet to find a setting where it's efficacious to do so. (I would never use the word "efficacious" in speech--in fact, I'd probably scale it all the way back to "where it works [well]" rather than "where it's effective"). Except for in certain moods that I prefer to avoid (but sometimes find unavoidable, such as when I semi-unknowingly cross the threshold from "buzzed" to "drunk"), I'd rather keep things lighthearted in real life, and I find short witty remarks to be as good a way of doing that as any, so constantly maintaining some level of focus on making such remarks (as the situations warrants) is my default real life modus operandi. (Even when I have an ulterior motive, like discrediting someone I've gotten into an argument with, well, the sarcastic remark is pretty effective in that department, too).

BoCosmo, you probably didn't get anywhere near the level of response you were looking for when you created this thread. I'm not at all qualified to respond to your question, given that I'm only really familiar with one region of the United States (and a generally poorly-spoken one at that), but I wanted to say that I found your posts fun to read, even if my knowledge of the finer points of linguistics is limited at best. And aliss obviously inferred wrongly that English is something other than your first language, lol.

Also, for what it's worth, my knowledge of Chaucer is limited to an awareness that Richard Dawkins used "The Canterbury Tales" as an inspiration for the format of his book "The Ancestor's Tale." (The content, of course, is entirely unrelated).

Hope you come back and deconstruct the above.

PS: Don't you dare give "improvisationally" the red-underscore-treatment, City Data

Old 09-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This. For me, regarding serious topics, I tend to write much more eloquently about said topics than I speak about them (especially improvisationally). Even if I were to read aloud certain things I've written of which I'm proud, I'd likely butcher a couple of my own words, use improper cadence while reading them...it's because I'm not accustomed to operating this way in daily life; I've yet to find a setting where it's efficacious to do so. (I would never use the word "efficacious" in speech--in fact, I'd probably scale it all the way back to "where it works [well]" rather than "where it's effective"). Except for in certain moods that I prefer to avoid (but sometimes find unavoidable, such as when I semi-unknowingly cross the threshold from "buzzed" to "drunk"), I'd rather keep things lighthearted in real life, and I find short witty remarks to be as good a way of doing that as any, so constantly maintaining some level of focus on making such remarks (as the situations warrants) is my default real life modus operandi. (Even when I have an ulterior motive, like discrediting someone I've gotten into an argument with, well, the sarcastic remark is pretty effective in that department, too).

BoCosmo, you probably didn't get anywhere near the level of response you were looking for when you created this thread. I'm not at all qualified to respond to your question, given that I'm only really familiar with one region of the United States (and a generally poorly-spoken one at that), but I wanted to say that I found your posts fun to read, even if my knowledge of the finer points of linguistics is limited at best. And aliss obviously inferred wrongly that English is something other than your first language, lol.

Also, for what it's worth, my knowledge of Chaucer is limited to an awareness that Richard Dawkins used "The Canterbury Tales" as an inspiration for the format of his book "The Ancestor's Tale." (The content, of course, is entirely unrelated).

Hope you come back and deconstruct the above.

PS: Don't you dare give "improvisationally" the red-underscore-treatment, City Data
I completely appreciate your genuine attempt for describing the intricate occurrences in communication, and the configuration in the flow of events allowing sophisticated, eloquent forms of being well spoken to happen in life.

This depends on the situation, someone’s position in a conversational topic, and exact timing for the possibility of well spoken interactions to show up in reality. The world should promote and encourage ubiquitous prominence and popularity in being well spoken when appropriate and corresponding to the exact events.

The power of words is important plenty of times, being able to attract hypnotic spell of interest, intriguing phenomenal entertainment, and a useful characteristic to not forget about in the grand occurrence of universal existence. I notice this talent is especially valuable for writing college essays, formulating a resume, posting on websites, reading books or reading online, and having a deep penetrating pleasant conversation with friends, family members, acquaintances in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The well spoken people is able to be discovered, noticed, and seen almost anywhere in the world, in almost any country if they are well educated, know very well the basic elements of languages, and the most essential forms of communication to say for other people.

I wouldn’t overly generalize an entire country or regional place too much in this topic since this is based on a more individual basis, and relative timing for the exact arrangement of events.

If the original first poster desperately wants to include a sense of place in regions all over the world for the highest percentage of people being well spoken, relative ubiquitous prominence and popularity in being well spoken, and an easygoing flow in events allowing this occurrence in life to frequently happen, this list is having the highest possibility for qualifying to those characteristics of being well spoken:

France: Ile-de-France-Provence Cote’d Azur, Rhone-Alpes, Alsace, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Corsiva, Tahiti Polynesia
Netherlands
Belgium
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Czech Republic
Some regions of Germany
Austria
Spain: Madrid, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Valencia, Ibiza, Seville
Northern regions of Italy
Argentina
Southern regions of Brazil: Rio Grande Sul, Santa Catarina, Parana, Sao Paulo
Portugal
Australia: Western Australia, Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales
Taiwan
Singapore
Malaysia
Some regions of Southern Western India
Canada: Quebec, British Columbia
USA: Pacific Northwest, some of Northeast, New England, some of California

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, I didn't see you were from Germany. Well, whatever, want to hear a joke about Germans?

Ok, moving on. A Finnish 'humppa' (Finnish very fast dance music related to jazz and foxtrot) band called 'Eläkeläiset' (the pensioners) was on a gig in Germany. The organizers warned the band before the gig that no jokes or puns regarding nazism or homosexuality are allowed. You know how the band greeted the crowd? -"Hello all you homo-hitlers!"

Sums up the Finnish mentality quite well IMO.
OK, I suppose you have to be Finnish to find it funny.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm assuming German is your first language and English is either your second or additional language. As an ESL instructor, I would advise against the term "well-spoken" when speaking about demographics of English speakers. It's considered rude. English is an international language and every dialect has grammatical logic to it. One is not more "well-spoken" than the other. Languages evolve, accents change, words are adopted. Nowhere is more "well-spoken".

If you are looking for a place with a more standardized pronunciation, then that is another issue altogether.

And my own personal tip - don't try and thesaurus in as many words as possible in an attempt to sound more intelligent, especially when it isn't your first language. Your posts are impossible to understand because you are using complex words, such as various metalanguage terms, in an incorrect way. My second language is French, so I keep my French simple. I suggest doing the same, or you might be perceived as "un-well-spoken" (there's no term for that, is there?).
BoCosmo is my new favourite poster. Just as well he doesn't like long-winded speech...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World