Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times

Advertisements

No. 1 in producing skilled workers ( engineers, architects, domestic managers, nurses, ship workers ).

Have the friendliest people in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Best Music ? Now or before ? I wouldn't really call Music those rap songs or Beyonce's songs or those songs that just talk about sex.

In the 80's almost all the New Wave bands were from the UK and Ireland.
I like much of the UK music such as Beatles, Led Zep, etc. but the US has a ton more variety with Rap, Country, Rock, Pop, etc. No country has the variety we have and it's due much to our diversity.

My personal favorite music is the 90's Alternative music and Grunge music such as Pearl Jam, 3rd eye Blind, Nirvana, etc. That is fantastic music.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
What about:

#1 Largest Spanish-speaking country
#1 First country from the New World to deliver a pope
#1 First country to have an elected female head of state and head of government in the Western hemisphere
#1 Tourist destination in South America
#1 Highest consumption of red meat in the world
#1 In basketball (according to ranking by International Basketball Federation)

I may be wrong but Wasn't that Thatcher?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
And I think Mexico is the largest Spanish speaking country.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Not sure about number one, but we're pretty good at understatement and self deprecation.

These are qualities not to be underestimated.
by their very definition, I think we should all pay little heed to these qualities...

I do believe that Enland has invaded more countries than any other country, all but 22. So you got that going for you...which is nice.

The countries never invaded by the British:
Andorra
Belarus
Bolivia
Burundi
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo, Republic of
Guatemala
Ivory Coast
Kyrgyzstan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Mali
Marshall Islands
Monaco
Mongolia
Paraguay
Sao Tome and Principe
Sweden
Tajikistan
Uzbekistan
Vatican City

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9...uxembourg.html

Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
That's the point; "What is your country #1 at?" It's only my opinion.

U.S. developed sports was only part of the equation. I included sporting success as well. Also, you state that the world "couldn't care less about your sports" after excluding the two most popular U.S. developed sports in the world and completely dismissing baseball.

Get a grip, Finland! Nah. Keep talking. I'm, actually, not offended that you are proud of your Finnish culture and want to boast about your country's accomplishments.

Without the American invention of the airplane, nothing would have become of the jet engine.

Nature...or Sir Isaac Newton.

Great...but an American, Frank Canova, invented the smartphone.
Thanks for a good and rational answer.

Regarding sports, an average European, Asian or African doesn't even know the rules of baseball. Which indicates that your sport is limited just to the immediate sphere of influence of the USA.

As I said in another thread, my country is #1 in several things. But I don't boast, I just state the facts. And according to them, my country i damn good, even if we have our faults. The US is #1 in many things, but as I said, don't boast. It will only diminish the facts and the arrogance is something I can't accept. (Personal Opinion.)

And You're right. No airplane without aerodynamics or the combustion engine. One thing leads to another, and US based scientists have refined the original idea. And as I said, the US have refined some ideas that changed humanity, like refrigeration or traveling to the moon. But what is incorrect is, that the USA would have "invented" all these things. No, you just refined them with generous funding from the government.

It's easy to say that the US put the first person on the moon, and that would be the greatest achievment ever, but remember the who discovered the moon, and all the other planets. The heliosphere was dubious allready when the first colonists founded Roanoke.

My aim is not to play down the achievements USA have made, you've contributed a lot to modern society, and I could be jealous about it.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

700 posts, read 638,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Thanks for a good and rational answer.

Regarding sports, an average European, Asian or African doesn't even know the rules of baseball. Which indicates that your sport is limited just to the immediate sphere of influence of the USA.

As I said in another thread, my country is #1 in several things. But I don't boast, I just state the facts. And according to them, my country i damn good, even if we have our faults. The US is #1 in many things, but as I said, don't boast. It will only diminish the facts and the arrogance is something I can't accept. (Personal Opinion.)

And You're right. No airplane without aerodynamics or the combustion engine. One thing leads to another, and US based scientists have refined the original idea. And as I said, the US have refined some ideas that changed humanity, like refrigeration or traveling to the moon. But what is incorrect is, that the USA would have "invented" all these things. No, you just refined them with generous funding from the government.

It's easy to say that the US put the first person on the moon, and that would be the greatest achievment ever, but remember the who discovered the moon, and all the other planets. The heliosphere was dubious allready when the first colonists founded Roanoke.

My aim is not to play down the achievements USA have made, you've contributed a lot to modern society, and I could be jealous about it.

Thanks for the response. I didn't mean to offend. I really didn't.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I may be wrong but Wasn't that Thatcher?
No, it was Isabel Martinez de Peron, who was President of Argentina from 1974 to 1976.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And I think Mexico is the largest Spanish speaking country.
Argentina: 2,780,400 km2 (1,073,518 sq mi)
Mexico: 1,972,550 km2 (761,606 sq mi)

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, it was Isabel Martinez de Peron, who was President of Argentina from 1974 to 1976.

Argentina: 2,780,400 km2 (1,073,518 sq mi)
Mexico: 1,972,550 km2 (761,606 sq mi)
Ah gotcha. I was going by population but in land area, you are correct.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post

Furthermore, it's called the Olympic National Forest. Secondly, 'rainforest' is one word, not two.
It is Olympic National Park, three words, all capitalized. It's in the state of Washington. Canada has almost identical landforms, sprawling over about 100 times as much area, and doesn't even bother calling it a park.

There is only one thing in which the USA truly deserves genuine accolades as world class. The USA invented and continues to embrace Baseball, the most perfect human function ever devised in equilibrium with the laws of mathematics and the universe. It is so finely tuned and perfectly balanced that the rules have never needed to be changed. (Even though it is necessary now to ikeep it alive by importing playing talent from other countries.)

Last edited by jtur88; 08-09-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World