Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kyoto or Montreal
Kyoto 6 60.00%
Montreal 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 PM

360 posts, read 982,750 times

Advertisements

So I'm asking for a friend who will apply for an exchange to either of these destinations.

He is mainly concerned with how the fashion and cultural scene would be like as well how easy it is to make friends with natives. Cost of living is another consideration too (though not as important as the above ones).

Based on the above description, which city do you reckon is better for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
So I'm asking for a friend who will apply for an exchange to either of these destinations.

He is mainly concerned with how the fashion and cultural scene would be like as well how easy it is to make friends with natives. Cost of living is another consideration too (though not as important as the above ones).

Based on the above description, which city do you reckon is better for him?
Tell us more about your friend. Does he speak French or Japanese to any degree? Is his native language English? Does he have friends already in either area? Has he ever lived somewhere with really, really cold and snow-filled winters? Does that bother him at all? Etc.

The fashion scene is probably much more alive in Montreal than Kyoto (as Japan's fashion scene is strongly centered in Tokyo), but just the difference in culture (I'm assuming your friend is from a developed anglophone country) might be inspirational enough. Both cities are among the best cities I've ever visited.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Tell us more about your friend. Does he speak French or Japanese to any degree? Is his native language English? Does he have friends already in either area? Has he ever lived somewhere with really, really cold and snow-filled winters? Does that bother him at all? Etc.

The fashion scene is probably much more alive in Montreal than Kyoto (as Japan's fashion scene is strongly centered in Tokyo), but just the difference in culture (I'm assuming your friend is from a developed anglophone country) might be inspirational enough. Both cities are among the best cities I've ever visited.
He's Asian Canadian so he speaks mainly English and Mandarin even though he is currently learning basic Japanese and French.

He also has some friends in Kyoto and none in Montreal.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
He's Asian Canadian so he speaks mainly English and Mandarin even though he is currently learning basic Japanese and French.

He also has some friends in Kyoto and none in Montreal.
Oh hell, if it all costs the same and he's Canadian, go for Kyoto. It's going to be a much more eye-opening experience.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh hell, if it all costs the same and he's Canadian, go for Kyoto. It's going to be a much more eye-opening experience.
But he's never been to Montreal as well.

Does anyone else want to throw in your two cents?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
But he's never been to Montreal as well.

Does anyone else want to throw in your two cents?
I agree with OyCrumbler. Montreal would be different from Vancouver (where I assume you guys are from?) but it's still a North American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World