Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM

321 posts, read 334,143 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of an introvert I think and I feel more comfortable in Bogotá than I do in say Barranquilla or Medellín.

People from cities like Bogotá and Tunja tend to be a well mannered, discreet bunch. People from Bucaramanga and presumably Pasto and Manizales, too. Not too sure about Manizales, though given as it's within the Paisa sphere, Pereiranos and Medellinenses are extremely social and clever I shall say, one must keep an eye out when engaging in a conversation with them.

Bogotá is the county's largest city. Some people visiting from abroad might be disappointed the city doesn't meet their expectations of a chatty, festive city.

Barranquilleros are just obnoxious. I don't recommend this city at all to people suffering from anxiety or any other social related condition. Santa Marta is nicer in this regard talking about cities up north.

Last edited by Oraculo; 10-04-2017 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:58 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Most likely in some sense, but it happens here too sometimes that neighbours call the cops when they haven't seen them in a long time. In countries where you know at least your neighbour's first name I guess that you become worried earlier. Or even start to greet your neighbour when you realise after two months that this one lives here.
That reminds of the story of that man who hung himself in a Paris suburban area and whose corpse remained in his flat without being noticed for over a decade.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
USA

Just move out to the middle to northern Nevada or Woyming,
get yerself a trailer, a dog, a gun and yer good to go.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
I'm kind of an introvert I think and I feel more comfortable in Bogotá than I do in say Barranquilla or Medellín.

People from cities like Bogotá and Tunja tend to be a well mannered, discreet bunch. People from Bucaramanga and presumably Pasto and Manizales, too. Not too sure about Manizales, though given as it's within the Paisa sphere, Pereiranos and Medellinenses are extremely social and clever I shall say, one must keep an eye out when engaging in a conversation with them.

Bogotá is the county's largest city. Some people visiting from abroad might be disappointed the city doesn't meet their expectations of a chatty, festive city.

Barranquilleros are just obnoxious. I don't recommend this city at all to people suffering from anxiety or any other social related condition. Santa Marta is nicer in this regard talking about cities up north.
I'm not particularly extroverted, I'm kind of an ambivert, but I actually like the sort of places like Barranquilla and Medellin. Places where people are more social and friendly. I'm not the most social guy in the world, so when I go to these cities it's very exciting that you don't know anyone but it feels like everyone is your pal and inviting you to parties and family events after knowing you for a day

Places like Bogota I don't like too much, in these places it's much more difficult to make friendships or do social things. Feels like you have to know someone for a loooong time before they start to consider you a part of their social group, people flake on plans, and just have a maddeningly casual view towards friendships. If you're a newcomer to these areas it must be very frustrating to try to adjust to the social norms there.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Definitely not the Philippines or Southeast Asian societies for sure! When I go on out of town trips, people ask if I got company tagging along! And when I eat out, I rarely see people eating alone and stuff!
I don't know if eating out alone correlates with general social level. South America is really social too but it's common to eat out alone, even moreso than in the United States. But yeah I noticed this even in the Southeast Asian restaurants in New York. The restaurants are designed for couples or small groups

Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm not particularly extroverted, I'm kind of an ambivert, but I actually like the sort of places like Barranquilla and Medellin. Places where people are more social and friendly. I'm not the most social guy in the world, so when I go to these cities it's very exciting that you don't know anyone but it feels like everyone is your pal and inviting you to parties and family events after knowing you for a day
I don't like this, as it isn't genuine. I'll rather know for real who my friends are.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:39 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
Definitely NOT my country! I get asked from time to time if I have company when I do errands...

Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I don't like this, as it isn't genuine. I'll rather know for real who my friends are.
Well it is genuine, you go to family events and people treat you like family. I think you're thinking of the US south-style "hospitality" where people tell you things like "god bless your heart" while not actually meaning it. It's just easier to become part of someone's social circle as opposed to somewhere like Northern Europe

Old 10-07-2017, 11:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Well it is genuine, you go to family events and people treat you like family. I think you're thinking of the US south-style "hospitality" where people tell you things like "god bless your heart" while not actually meaning it. It's just easier to become part of someone's social circle as opposed to somewhere like Northern Europe
Yeah, that is what I meant. And definitely, Northern Europeans are tricky in this sense, you have to "prove" your worth as a friend.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is what I meant. And definitely, Northern Europeans are tricky in this sense, you have to "prove" your worth as a friend.
Honestly not a big fan of that. Maybe I'm a bit of a hippie but I prefer the world to be one giant campfire lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World