Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the decision to remove Liverpool from the World's Heritage Site list?
Yes, I agree completely. 2 66.67%
No, they should had removed just one aspect of Liverpool instead of the entire historic city. 0 0%
I don't agree at all. 1 33.33%
I don't know what to think of it. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 01:18 PM

10,111 posts, read 14,980,095 times

Advertisements

Liverpool, UK was recently removed as a World Heritage Site. Yes, removed! According to the United Nations:

Quote:
years of development have caused ‘irreversible loss’ to historic value of Victorian docks
In addition it says:

Quote:
the “outstanding universal value” of Liverpool’s waterfront had been destroyed by new buildings
Apparently, only two other places were removed from the list in the entire world.

Quote:
The other delisted sites were Oman’s Arabian Oryx Sanctuary in 2007 and the Dresden Elbe valley in Germany in 2009.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eritage-status

This is horrible.

Do you agree with the decision to remove Liverpool from the World Heritage Site list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 01:21 PM

10,111 posts, read 14,980,095 times
UNESCO removes Liverpool from world heritage list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAL1ZdYBJ54

People react to city's World Heritage status being removed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlOIycLLpNI

UNESCO World Heritage List
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/

Old 07-24-2021, 03:02 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Liverpool, UK was recently removed as a World Heritage Site. Yes, removed! According to the United Nations:

In addition it says:

Apparently, only two other places were removed from the list in the entire world.

This is horrible.

Do you agree with the decision to remove Liverpool from the World Heritage Site list?
Liverpool is not a museum and nor is it's waterfront.

The Everton Stadium is in a run down disused docks area, and the city has every right to create jobs and invest in such areas.

The Peel waterfront has also not gone ahead, other than a few new buildings, whilst the project is mainly a few mid size blocks and apartments in run down docks, which are well away from the historic water front buildings such as the Liver building.

Can you imagine if UNESCO had given the NYC or Baltimore or Boston waterfront World Heritage status thereby stopping all new developments.

As Liverpool council stated, " it's a city not defined by labels".

As for UNESCO, it's led by Chinese officials and the decision was made in China, and country that has built vast cities and infrastructure on an industrial scale, yet punishes Liverpool for relatively minor projects and in terms of Everton's stadium it does not even impact the waterfront.

The UK is currently trying to built a road tunnel in order to by-pass Stonehenge, and ease traffic near the ancient monument, however UNESCO have threatened to remove the world heritage status of Stonehenge, if the UK goes ahead.

Stonehenge is being threatened with removal, not because the tunnel has any impact on Stonehenge, but because the tunnel might impact other separate possible prehistoric underground workings.

The tunnel is designed to actually improve the landscape and to return it back to the original landscape without a busy congested road running close to the monument, however UNESCO don't see it this way and have threatened to strip it of it's world heritage status.

The Stonehenge tunnel is currently the subject of a High Court review and legal battle.

A303 Stonhenge - About the Scheme - Highways England

Stonehenge tunnel: What does it mean for World Heritage Site? - BBC News (2021)

Planning green light for £1.7bn Stonehenge tunnel - Construction Enquirer (2020)

There have also been numerous threats by UNESCO in relation to the Tower of London, however the projects that threatened the Towers status have largely been rejected and never built due to planning laws and rejection of projects.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-24-2021 at 03:46 AM..

Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 AM

Here's Everton's new ground at derelict Bramley-Moore Dock in Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnPtZGeBfA

Old 07-24-2021, 04:59 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

In addition it says:

This is horrible.

What is horrible? The removal? Or the development that lead to the removal?

What is it that you think a world heritage listing should mean to a location?

Old 07-24-2021, 08:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
This decision seems a bit spiteful to me, nevertheless I doubt the Scousers will be losing much sleep over this, in fact they'll benefit FAR more from the football stadium than they ever did from being a member of some made up appreciation society. :-)

Old 07-24-2021, 10:38 AM

169 posts, read 130,224 times
No but if it was there why not include Klatovy, Pilsen, Stribro and a few medieval towns in Bavaria like Coburg?

Old 07-25-2021, 02:46 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
It seems over the top for a UNESCO committee to expect a large metropolitan city (like Liverpool) to remain frozen in a time capsule, instead of developing and adapting the city resources for the people that live and work there. Sure, Liverpool wants to attract tourists because they contribute to the economy and success of a city. I doubt if the UNESCO decision will have a huge impact on the number of tourists that will visit Liverpool over the long run. Most tourists, both foreign and domestic, don't pick their destinations solely off a list of "World Heritage Sites".

I was in Dresden for a day trip visit about a week ago, on a semi-rainy Saturday. Dresden is a former UNESCO world heritage area that got removed (a decade ago) from the list for the same reasons as the Liverpool decision. Here in Saxony, the Covid infection rate has been low lately and many restrictions for museum visits, shopping, and dining (especially outdoor dining) have been lifted. Dresden looked "almost normal" walking around the city center pedestrian zone, with lots of tourists around. It is still a first-rate visitor destination, regardless of getting dropped from a UNESCO list. I also noticed restoration projects at the Zwinger Palace and the Augustus Bridge. The bridge restoration has been going on for 3 years and looks like it could last a few more. It takes a huge amount of preventative restoration to keep old structures from falling apart, and I doubt if the UNESCO people balance that effort with a certain amount of new development that is eventually needed in cities on the world heritage site list.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It seems over the top for a UNESCO committee to expect a large metropolitan city (like Liverpool) to remain frozen in a time capsule, instead of developing and adapting the city resources for the people that live and work there. Sure, Liverpool wants to attract tourists because they contribute to the economy and success of a city. I doubt if the UNESCO decision will have a huge impact on the number of tourists that will visit Liverpool over the long run. Most tourists, both foreign and domestic, don't pick their destinations solely off a list of "World Heritage Sites".

I was in Dresden for a day trip visit about a week ago, on a semi-rainy Saturday. Dresden is a former UNESCO world heritage area that got removed (a decade ago) from the list for the same reasons as the Liverpool decision. Here in Saxony, the Covid infection rate has been low lately and many restrictions for museum visits, shopping, and dining (especially outdoor dining) have been lifted. Dresden looked "almost normal" walking around the city center pedestrian zone, with lots of tourists around. It is still a first-rate visitor destination, regardless of getting dropped from a UNESCO list. I also noticed restoration projects at the Zwinger Palace and the Augustus Bridge. The bridge restoration has been going on for 3 years and looks like it could last a few more. It takes a huge amount of preventative restoration to keep old structures from falling apart, and I doubt if the UNESCO people balance that effort with a certain amount of new development that is eventually needed in cities on the world heritage site list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FP1BM9CGyU

Old 07-25-2021, 06:04 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
The city of Liverpool has the right to make it better for its place, in terms of job opportunities, infrastructure, etc.

UNESCO has the right to remove Liverpool from its list.

I'm not sure about the significance of being an UNESCO site these days. It seems to me a lot of not so exciting places made their list recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World