Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:38 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons why I brought up this question is because also, I've been noticing more and more people from Europe and Asia learning Spanish or who are wanting to learn Spanish. I think there is a rising popularity trend in these two places. Wouldn't be surprised if it was also growing popularity in the African continent., especially for Western and Northern Africa..Mainly Equatorial Guinea and parts of Northern Morroco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
None Spanish Speaking nation its a BRICS member. Nevertheless, Spanish is gaining momentum, and keeps going up in the world scenario.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 AM

213 posts, read 298,388 times
Brasil speak spanish easy with French accent but speaking.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanaBoy View Post
Brasil speak spanish easy with French accent but speaking.
Not at all frenchie, maybe the pronunciation of certain words, but that's about it.
Actually, to Spanish speaking ears it's quite easy to differentiate Spanish spoken with either French, Portuguese or standar Italian. Romanian is too Slavic to notice.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
One of the reasons why I brought up this question is because also, I've been noticing more and more people from Europe and Asia learning Spanish or who are wanting to learn Spanish. I think there is a rising popularity trend in these two places
It may be increasing in popularity, but Mandarin has twice as many native speakers, and English has way more second language speakers. Given the numbers and economic clout of the speakers of these two languages, I don't think Spanish will ever exceed them in importance.

But Spanish should be ranked ahead of Hindi, Arabic, and Portuguese, partly because of numbers of speakers, and range of countries in which they are used.

According to the Cervantes foundation in Spain, the number of Spanish speakers in the USA (including students) now exceeds the number of Spanish speakers in Spain and Colombia. So now the USA is only behind Mexico in number of Spanish speakers.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That might've been the case 100 years ago, but they're coming from all over China. I personally know some Chinese immigrants here from Fujian and Guangdong and they mostly speak Mandarin. You can thank Beijing for spreading Mandarin everywhere (which is a shame as dialects or regional languages are declining).
I know this response is old but; in the USA, Cantonese is still far more common than Mandarin and it has been here for over 100 years. Our Chinatowns are Cantonese. Many Mandarin speakers speak better English and Mandarin slow diminishes with each generation where as Cantonese seems to have more staying power and that's due to it's HUGE presence in comparison.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know this response is old but; in the USA, Cantonese is still far more common than Mandarin and it has been here for over 100 years. Our Chinatowns are Cantonese. Many Mandarin speakers speak better English and Mandarin slow diminishes with each generation where as Cantonese seems to have more staying power and that's due to it's HUGE presence in comparison.
I think it depends on the state. In PA, most of our Chinese are Hokkien and Mandarin speakers

Old 04-05-2015, 08:28 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Yea but why do you think that? Did you see my video? Chinese is the most spoken language by far, but it's not very widely spoken, just mainly in Continental China and Taiwan, I think also Singapore but that's about it. Not trying to bag on the language, I'm actually studying it myself, but Chinese needs to be spoken in other countries for it to become an alternative language. You know as in actually be spoken in the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Australia.
I agree. If there is going to be a "2nd international language of the world," my money is on Spanish over Mandarin (and by a long shot). Simply put, Mandarin's geographical reach is too limited to make it a true "international language," let alone a 2nd international language of the world; Spanish's geographical reach is much more significant, dominating one continent (South America), while having a very substantial impact/reach in others (think North/Central America, Europe via Spain, and even some parts of Africa). Mandarin is essentially limited to China and/or ethnic Chinese enclaves and territories outside of China; its really not the multi-ethnic/racial language like Spanish is.

Note, if its not clear, I'm referring to Mandarin as this language is much more widely spoken than other Chinese languages. But the same point could be made for, say, Cantonese.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Depends on the economy of Spanish speaking countries, especially the Latin American ones, if they keep growing at the current rate, Spanish could also establish itself as such as there could be an increase of trade involving those countries. French could keep its position if the economy of many of its ex-colonies finally improves but it looks like it won't happen soon, while those countries will grow demographically their economy will still be struggling to be relevant on the world stages.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,791,114 times
Spanish classes are now mandatory in all Brazilian schools.

A new generation of Brazilians will be raised now that will understand at least the basics of Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World