Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:40 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ny-female.html

This thread got me thinking...

Police, engineers, soldiers.etc but especially tradespeople and construction workers...

Throughout Asia i saw women, even old ones, doing construction work, while I rarely see this in Australia, despite the west being more gender equal. A friend from China commented that there were so few female engineers here compared to China, despite the idea that the West is so progressive...

How is it in your countries? How common is it for females to work in male-dominated fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM

24,575 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Come to Texas - they are here!

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
I'm a pharmacist. It used to be a male dominant job only a generation ago. Now I believe around 60-70% of pharmacy school graduates are female. I believe dentists and doctors will eventually go that way also.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Oh believe me, there is plenty of sexism in Canada and the U.S. They just don't want to admit it.
The sexism goes both ways.
My wife is great at fixing things, carpentry, plumbing, all that stuff and she always gets sexist comments regarding her hobbies. I am also treated rudely for the same reason - I'm a very atypical guy not into "guy stuff" and I get insulted by both men and women for that.
I used to work in an all-female office and was treated like dirt. I quit after three months.

and you're right that the educated, cultured Chinese people I've met have been surprisingly gender-neutral in their views.
this is in central Canada, btw.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Oh believe me, there is plenty of sexism in Canada and the U.S. They just don't want to admit it.
My wife is great at fixing things, carpentry, plumbing, all that stuff and she always gets sexist comments regarding her hobbies. I am also treated rudely for the same reason - I'm a very atypical guy not into "guy stuff" and I get insulted by both men and women for that.
I used to work in an all-female office and was treated like dirt. I quit after three months.

and you're right that the educated, cultured Chinese people I've met have been surprisingly gender-neutral in their views.
Yes, it's annoying how some people are so narrow minded and rigid about social roles, gender or otherwise. Why can't we treat each other as individuals or people first, not as males/females first, trying to force us into the box of stereotypical male/female traits and all the expectations that come with it?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I think most fields outside of really blue collar jobs are pretty mixed here at this point. But, my mom has a friend whose daughter is a mechanic, and she is literally the only female I can think of with that position.

I get made fun of all the time for not being in to labour-y "guyish" things and the same people suggest I'm gay for it all the time, like it matters. I don't sweat it though. These are the same people who usually have too many kids and not enough money due to poor planning, and take pride in looking like a swamp-thing.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 PM

156 posts, read 287,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

I'm surprised to hear of such things happening in Canada...of all places! But take consolation that the situation is infinitesimally worse where I'm from. I won't go into details of how most women here believe society owes them a living or act like a prima donna when they have to exert some physical strength to get a job done but I can assure you that they too, know how to play the cards in their favour.

The favourite refrain of some women in my country? "But I'm a lady!"

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I think most fields outside of really blue collar jobs are pretty mixed here at this point. But, my mom has a friend whose daughter is a mechanic, and she is literally the only female I can think of with that position.

I get made fun of all the time for not being in to labour-y "guyish" things and the same people suggest I'm gay for it all the time, like it matters. I don't sweat it though. These are the same people who usually have too many kids and not enough money due to poor planning, and take pride in looking like a swamp-thing.
Yeah they tend to have very ignorant, narrow-minded views. It's good you don't care about what others think.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
I'm surprised to hear of such things happening in Canada...of all places! But take consolation that the situation is infinitesimally worse where I'm from. I won't go into details of how most women here believe society owes them a living or act like a prima donna when they have to exert some physical strength to get a job done but I can assure you that they too, know how to play the cards in their favour.

The favourite refrain of some women in my country? "But I'm a lady!"
Oh gosh, yeah i bet they don't say that when you ask them to cook, right? Haha.

Yeah I have to admit the young generation of Singaporeans, both girls and boys, are sort of like little emperors and empresses. I noticed quite a few spoilt kids as well. I chalk it up to a generation raised by maids who they can boss around with parents who work long hours who don't spend much time with them.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:34 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
It is quite common, I can see a lot of bus driver women recently, also airline pilots, lorry drivers, but I haven't seen any of them working building buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World