Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:24 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcml View Post

Once I got to Brazil, I disappeared entirely into the society, which was fascinating.
A true luxury indeed. I am yet to find a country where I can blend in, and just for a day, view how people treat me when ethnicity is removed from the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times
Ethnicity technically is not (only or necessarily even primarily) about race or physical appearance but culture and customs too, such as clothing, food, religion etc. Thus, it's not entirely appropriate to use ethnicity as a synonym for race/ancestry.

For example, from Ethnicity | Define Ethnicity at Dictionary.com.

World English Dictionary
ethnic or ethnical (ˈɛθnɪk) — adj 1. relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common 2. relating to the classification of mankind into groups, esp on the basis of racial characteristics 3. denoting or deriving from the cultural traditions of a group of people: the ethnic dances of Slovakia 4. characteristic of another culture: the ethnic look ; ethnic food

At least a couple definitions refer to culture alone.

Also,

Ethnic - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

: of or relating to races or large groups of people who have the same customs, religion, origin, etc.
: associated with or belonging to a particular race or group of people who have a culture that is different from the main culture of a country

Also, a sizable number of people on the American census (and also on the Canadian, Australian censuses too) put down only "American" and nothing else (same with some Canadians and Australians who put the name of their nationality alone).

Old 01-04-2014, 02:18 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice02 View Post
It is a matter of ethnicity I think, people belonging to whatever country and who travelled to another one are always going to be judged on their appearances first that’s why there are people who are still amazed when they see African Americans , they take them as Blacks from Africa.
Really? I think anyone with even a passing knowledge of what American history is like would be aware of how clear African-Americans are, as a distinct part of American identity from the start. Are there any people that would confuse a black American accent with an African accent spoken by actual African language speakers? They are nothing alike.

Those who don't must be living in a cave somewhere or really isolated from American media/influence, to not see African-Americans on TV or in music or be aware of their influence.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth Mel Brook View Post
Say you have a guy that happens to look Asian but he dresses American and sounds like an American, if he goes to a foreign country will he be treated like an American just like a White guy would he be treated like someone who is not an American?
Heritage. People in non-anglo speaking countries always assume i'm English. Occasionally american.

In Italy they said to my mum that she was Australian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World