Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CHOOSE 1 OF EACH: Structure and City that Symbolizes America.
New York City 32 54.24%
Los Angeles 2 3.39%
Chicago 1 1.69%
Washington, DC 6 10.17%
Statue of Liberty 38 64.41%
Empire State Building 7 11.86%
Washington Monument 1 1.69%
Brooklyn Bridge 3 5.08%
White House 8 13.56%
Capitol Building 5 8.47%
Lincoln Monument 3 5.08%
Hollywood Sign 8 13.56%
Sears Tower 0 0%
Space Needle 2 3.39%
Golden Gate Bridge 6 10.17%
Yankee Stadium 2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,195,778 times

Advertisements

One symbol that wasn't on the list doesn't physically exist, but many Europeans (I lived there for years) "see" when they think of America: the Golden Calf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 PM

31 posts, read 105,796 times
I dont even know where lincoln monument is,yankee stadium i presume is New York.
Statue Liberty is well known,but dont know much about the meaning or history of it.
Mount Rushmore is quite well known,but not on the list.
Most of the hollywood celebrities are more recognisable than monuments etc particularly the youth as there faces are seen in every magazine,and on television regularly.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM

272 posts, read 784,689 times
I noticed that you left out all of the natural wonders.....
I'd vote for the Medicine Bow Mountains of Wyoming.....But for me the Lincoln Memorial represents...at least from the list you posted the best symbolic representation of our nation.
A man raised in poverty...who failed at many things he tried to do....but continued to try until he succeeded. He lost his life in the service of his country, killed by a fanatic..
He was forced to deal with a horrid situation not of his making and yet stepped up and made the difficult decisions necessary to preserve the country. He had the foresight to look beyond the present and carried little grudge against our brothers and sought to reunite the country as painlessly and seamlessly as possible. He had to deal with a savage and critical congress, presidential staff and unbelievably antagonistic press....[where have we heard THAT before....?...]
Washington was a great man, no doubt....but Lincoln himself gave his "last full measure of devotion...".....

Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
42 people voted and only 3 responders?
None of those things represent America to me.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 AM

129 posts, read 84,053 times
What, no vote for the twin-arches of McDonalds?.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 PM

26 posts, read 30,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
What about freedom? The ability to make it on who you are, not what you are?
Those things are not exclusively American. Despite what Neocons of late may have us believe, the broad term "Freedoms" applies to nearly every democratic country in the world including all of Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Australia, and so on.

No, what represents the United States needs to be something uniquely American, something cultural.

Unfortunantly things like the Hollywood sign and even the McDonalds Arch really are what many people associate the U.S. with around the world. That and automatic weapons, Elvis, Beverly Hills, and other forms of Pop-Culture.

I wish we could find a better identity as I hate being represented by the likes of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 PM

127 posts, read 925,277 times
From an Australian point of view New York is by far the 1st city to come to mind, followed by LA, and then DC. They are all for very different reasons though...
New York is well known globally for financial, cultural and urban interests. It is more of a global city than anywhere else in America, similar to Tokyo. LA is known mostly for Hollywood and the beaches, and to a lesser extent the crime and gangs. It is thought of globally as a Rio type of city, a great place to take a sunny vaction. Lastly, DC is a good example of Americana, a place that Yankees can be passionate about. It has plenty of history and inspires national pride much like Jerusalem or London. They are very vague comparisons though, as DC is unique to the American spirit.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:25 AM

291 posts, read 832,151 times
For me:

Statue of Liberty

Capitol Building

New York skyline

Hollywood sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World