Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why does it have to become personal? I was speaking in general, not from a personal level and I've already explained why.
Well I think your point was moot. I've never heard someone say, 'I wish the forecast would be more precise, like 25.5 instead of just 25. If only we had farenheit, then I'd be more precise!' Temps often deviate a few degrees C from the forecast anyhow. Most laypeople don't care if it's 40 or 41, it's the same deal. Plus when we record it's in decimals. In other words you just created a 'problem' where there isn't any.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It does when they communicate with others around the world, especially in the science fields.

Yes, and everyone who has studied anything science related has absolutely no problem using the metric system... lol

If anyone is honestly dense enough to not know that Americans learn these things.. they need to stay out of any sort of topic about Americans.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yes, and everyone who has studied anything science related has absolutely no problem using the metric system... lol

If anyone is honestly dense enough to not know that Americans don't learn these things.. they need to stay out of any sort of topic about Americans.
Well more in casual conversation, if an American is talking to someone from outside America about 'oh, it was so cold today, 20 degrees!' The other person would either think the American has some problem tolerating cold (if they're ignorant) or momentarily wonder what that was in celsius. If neither of them could convert F to C, it'd be like a communication barrier. Then again these day they could easily look it up on their smartphone and convert it.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Well more in casual conversation, if an American is talking to someone from outside America about 'oh, it was so cold today, 20 degrees!' The other person would either think the American has some problem tolerating cold (if they're ignorant) or momentarily wonder what that was in celsius. If neither of them could convert F to C, it'd be like a communication barrier. Then again these day they could easily look it up on their smartphone and convert it.

Correct, but here's the whole point of this. Are we seriously going to change our entire system and force the entire country to learn a new system so an American talking to someone from another country might not think they are crazy for thinking 20 degrees is cold? I'm sorry, but that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is, anyone here who has a problem has YET to come up with one(good) reason for the United States to make a complete change and drop Fahrenheit.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Correct, but here's the whole point of this. Are we seriously going to change our entire system and force the entire country to learn a new system so an American talking to someone from another country might not think they are crazy for thinking 20 degrees is cold? I'm sorry, but that sounds absolutely ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is, anyone here who has a problem has YET to come up with one(good) reason for the United States to make a complete change and drop Fahrenheit.
It's logical, the rest of the world uses it, compatibility, it wouldn't be that hard to implement - if other's can do it why not the US? It's not the same as changing driving sides, just a public education campaign, get the NOAA, weather services etc to start switching. In a couple of decades it will be as if the US would have always been using celsius. We live in a global world, I think it makes sense for the US to switch over.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
The only real issue for the American's I know, is when they travel. They adapt fine with temperature and even kilometres, but have some trouble when ordering food in grams. Nothing a little hand gesturing doesn't solve.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The US is already metric. Where and when it matters or is more convenient.

People complain about Americans being monolingual then call us backward for familiarity with two systems of measurement.

Oh, and every pothead in America can convert grams <--> ounces in their head ;-)

Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Well I think your point was moot. I've never heard someone say, 'I wish the forecast would be more precise, like 25.5 instead of just 25. If only we had farenheit, then I'd be more precise!' Temps often deviate a few degrees C from the forecast anyhow. Most laypeople don't care if it's 40 or 41, it's the same deal. Plus when we record it's in decimals. In other words you just created a 'problem' where there isn't any.
How long did you live in the US?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:

Exactly and when this is brought up, it becomes personal.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
It's logical, the rest of the world uses it, compatibility, it wouldn't be that hard to implement - if other's can do it why not the US? It's not the same as changing driving sides, just a public education campaign, get the NOAA, weather services etc to start switching. In a couple of decades it will be as if the US would have always been using celsius. We live in a global world, I think it makes sense for the US to switch over.

No, it doesn't make sense for the US to switch over. This simply goes back to the world being hypocrites. Whining about Americans wanting their way, but as soon as something is different for them.. there's a problem.

No, the ease of travelling is stupid. It is very stupid for the United States to spend millions if not billions because some damn Europeans or Australians don't want to do a conversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World