Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,912 times

Advertisements

Most people in NSW & VIC have been to Canberra, much less for people living in other states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Australia is a large country, so most Australians have only seen a tiny fraction of the country. They will typically take road trips to nearby places, like maybe a 3-4 hour or 7-8 hour drive (or maybe 10 hours), and less commonly huge road trips. Cross country or long road trips are done by a few, but for the journey (air travel is far more common) - I've done it, but I'm probably like less than 5%. It takes 5 days to drive across the country leisurely and there's a lot of empty space, but it's interesting.

It seems most have been to nearby places like Margaret River or Albany, and a few interstate destinations like Sydney, Melbourne, maybe the Gold Coast. It seems a minority have been to our capital, Canberra.

I imagine it'd be a lot different in smaller nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Australia is a large country, so most Australians have only seen a tiny fraction of the country. They will typically take road trips to nearby places, like maybe a 3-4 hour or 7-8 hour drive (or maybe 10 hours), and less commonly huge road trips. Cross country or long road trips are done by a few, but for the journey (air travel is far more common) - I've done it, but I'm probably like less than 5%. It takes 5 days to drive across the country leisurely and there's a lot of empty space, but it's interesting.

It seems most have been to nearby places like Margaret River or Albany, and a few interstate destinations like Sydney, Melbourne, maybe the Gold Coast. It seems a minority have been to our capital, Canberra.

Of course Australia has it's grey nomads, really it is hard to see a lot of Australia unless you are in that position. My dream "road trip" would be from Cairns up to Cape York, I will do it one day.

I went to Canberra once on a School trip, but have never been to Perth of Adelaide. We once drove from Melbourne to Darwin, but Bypassed Adelaide.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-24-2014 at 02:21 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Singapore is very small so there is almost no domestic travellers..

Many of us take side trips to Johor ..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:

The United States is so large, that even this question becomes very regional, dependent on where a person is from.

I grew up in MICHIGAN. Which is basically a large northern state, next to Canada, which is a Peninsula surrounded by the Great Lakes. Being that MI is beautiful in the Summer and the state takes 12-15 hours to drive from lower end of the Lower Peninsula to the western part of the Upper Peninsula, it's quite common that people many many summers and 2-week vacations just to try to see their own state of Michigan itself.

Generally though, the true Michigan person, outside of MI, will try to visit Florida as much as much as possible, and always during the winter months. Florida is another massive state, that takes forever to get from north to south, and to get to know in itself.

With the two-week vacations and the geographical challenges of being so isolated up there in Michigan, it's doubtful the person would experience much of other states, but if there was one, it would probably be mountainous areas between MI and FL, for example Tennessee.

If you were to meet a Michigander of an exceptional means and free time, which is not often the case, as jobs don't pay well, gas is high, etc. You'll meet the occassional Michigan person who gets a chance to get out West and see somewhere like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada or California.

In general, a MI person, will not bother with the dozen of similar midwestern states nearby, and treat them more like '500 miles to try to quickly drive-through, so we can see something different'.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Of course Australia has it's grey nomads, really it is hard to see a lot of Australia unless you are in that position. My dream "road trip" would be from Cairns up to Cape York, I will do it one day.

I went to Canberra once on a School trip, but have never been to Perth of Adelaide. We once drove from Melbourne to Darwin, but Bypassed Adelaide.
I took 4 months off to go round Australia - it was an amazing experience, though I really skimmed the surface. I truly feel Australia is one of the best countries for that sort of thing. There's something I love about the outback, the open space, down to earth people, the 'spirit' if you like of the indigenous folk even if they're hunting roos much these days.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Within my social circle mostly from Minnesota and Wisconsin...
NY - 25 percent
DC - 90 percent
a lot of schools (junior and or middle) have field trips to DC.
Grand Canyon and Vegas - 40 percent
LA - 10 percent
to escape the cold most go to the east coast.
Florida, and Myrtle Beach, SC are very popular.
Weird that so many more have been to DC vs NY. Isn't NY closer to the Grand Canyon and Vegas too?

It seems a surprising number of Americans aren't as enamoured by New York as we are. I literally had to travel halfway around the world to see it (though of course it was part of a trip to the US) and i've met people from New york state who've never been! It's like what is wrong with you? lol jk.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The United States is so large, that even this question becomes very regional, dependent on where a person is from.

I grew up in MICHIGAN. Which is basically a large northern state, next to Canada, which is a Peninsula surrounded by the Great Lakes. Being that MI is beautiful in the Summer and the state takes 12-15 hours to drive from lower end of the Lower Peninsula to the western part of the Upper Peninsula, it's quite common that people many many summers and 2-week vacations just to try to see their own state of Michigan itself.

Generally though, the true Michigan person, outside of MI, will try to visit Florida as much as much as possible, and always during the winter months. Florida is another massive state, that takes forever to get from north to south, and to get to know in itself.

With the two-week vacations and the geographical challenges of being so isolated up there in Michigan, it's doubtful the person would experience much of other states, but if there was one, it would probably be mountainous areas between MI and FL, for example Tennessee.

If you were to meet a Michigander of an exceptional means and free time, which is not often the case, as jobs don't pay well, gas is high, etc. You'll meet the occassional Michigan person who gets a chance to get out West and see somewhere like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada or California.

In general, a MI person, will not bother with the dozen of similar midwestern states nearby, and treat them more like '500 miles to try to quickly drive-through, so we can see something different'.
How common is it for a Michigander to have travelled abroad? I wonder what the percentages of people who've been abroad for each country is, especially the larger ones.

My estimate for Australia is about 50% (possibly higher if you consider how multicultural we are and consider those born overseas). In the US what would you say, maybe 20-25%?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
How common is it for a Michigander to have travelled abroad? I wonder what the percentages of people who've been abroad for each country is, especially the larger ones.

My estimate for Australia is about 50% (possibly higher if you consider how multicultural we are and consider those born overseas). In the US what would you say, maybe 20-25%?
Most Michiganders have been probably been to Canada, which is technically abroad.

But, outside of North America? I'd say VERY few. For one, airfare is quite a bit more expensive from the inland parts of the U.S., and salaries are quite a bit lower. It's not unusual to hear of couples from the Midwest spend 10-15 years to save enough money to go on a Cruise in the Carribbean for an Anniversary gift to each other. Of course, they'd love to go to somewhere like Paris, but few can afford it.

Quite a contrast to when I lived in NYC, where salaries were twice as much, and airfare a fraction of the cost. New Yorkers are very well-traveled because of that.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
It seems a surprising number of Americans aren't as enamoured by New York as we are. I literally had to travel halfway around the world to see it (though of course it was part of a trip to the US) and i've met people from New york state who've never been! It's like what is wrong with you? lol jk.
I noticed that as well. When I grew up as an American, I dreamed of WARM cities, like Los Angeles or San Diego. Other states seemed exotic like Arizona or Colorado. Than there was 'Florida' which screamed warmth.

When I actually moved abroad, and particularly when I was in Sao Paulo, Brazil, I realized that many Brazilians had this image of America being New York City. I began to see this enamored awe of NYC, that I never experienced growing up American. I had this feeling as a kid with Los Angeles, but not of New York City.

It was just this AWE that I was getting from Brazilians, that strongly encouraged me to move to NYC when I went back to the U.S. at that time, and 'give it a shot'. I loved NYC. But, among Americans, you're more apt to get a 'why not Seattle or Denver instead?'

That being said, I think most Americans know that New York is an amazing city, but they do seem to dismiss it, generally for somewhere more 'out West'.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:23 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
I think where I am pretty much tells that there isn't much room for domestic travel..

But weekends lots of people go BAli , PHuket and BAngkok etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World