Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM

50 posts, read 102,026 times

Advertisements

There was a number of national tourists close to 59% of the total population in my country, guests in some sort of hotel unit.

The most visited regions in 2012 by them was, by descending order, the North, followed by Lisbon and then the center, with very close results though.

However, if we count the number of sleepovers, the numbers are different, and the Algarve wins this time, followed by Lisbon and the North.

So there's more people travelling to center and north (always approx. above 100 thousand each month all year long) but spend less time in average there; instead less people travel to the Algarve (where there's a clearly high season during the Summer, as we might expect) but spend in average much more time and money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
Italians do travel a lot within Italy itself and Italians are notorious for being spotted everywhere both as tourists and immigrants (or should we say expats?).

Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
French who can afford it travel quite a lot inside the country. Pyrenees and Alps during winter. Britanny, Corsica and the South during Summer. Overseas departments during their dry seasons. The South-West and Paris are common tourist destinations too. I think the North, North-East, and a bit the center, are the less likely to be visited.. Mostly if people have some friends or relatives there.
The typical French family travel quite a lot, but mostly inside French territories or French-speaking countries.
Yup some regions like Lorraine or Nord-Pas-de-Calais don't seem that that popular among outsiders. Though every region is worth visiting, be it Aquitaine or Picardy.
My aunt, who used to work at a departmental administration, said that she'd seen people from the Normandy countryside that had never been to Rouen, a mere 30 km away, before being compelled to for legal reasons.
Ironically, I've been to every department in mainland France, but never to Corsica, which seems to be a rather popular tourist destination. Also been to 15 German states when I lived there. Again, some people in the countryside were very häuslich (?) and didn't venture outside the Land they lived in (not lacking the means).

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
For the US this truly depends on the region you live in, or even what part of a specific region. For example, I grew up in a suburb of St. Louis which is in the southern Midwest, and for vacations there it seemed that everyone preferred heading down to a beach in the South, especially on the Gulf Coast. If you went to a beach in Mississippi, Alabama, or Florida's panhandle it was only 10-12 hours driving time from St. Louis depending on where you were going. For a weekend excursion people typically drove out to the Lake of the Ozarks, or even up to Chicago if they wanted to go to a "big" city.

After having moved to Chicago, it definitely seems people are far less likely to drive down to the Gulf Coast in comparison to back home, but who can blame them? Chicago is another 300 miles north from St. Louis. Up here it seems people are far more likely to fly to go on vacation, unless they're heading up to a lake house in Michigan, which is quite popular assuming you have a house up there/know someone who does.

It's also been my experience that people here are far more likely to have been somewhere in the South (whether it's the Gulf or the East Coast) and up in the Northeast rather than having been somewhere on the West Coast. The West Coast is a lot further away, and domestic airfare within the United States is not cheap.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
They travel to London alot.

And most people goto America or Spain every year.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM

545 posts, read 866,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup some regions like Lorraine or Nord-Pas-de-Calais don't seem that that popular among outsiders. Though every region is worth visiting, be it Aquitaine or Picardy.
My aunt, who used to work at a departmental administration, said that she'd seen people from the Normandy countryside that had never been to Rouen, a mere 30 km away, before being compelled to for legal reasons.
Yep, some people just do again and again the same trips. They have a favorite camping or a holiday home, and just never go in holidays somewhere else. Can still be fun, but not really enriching.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They travel to London alot.

And most people goto America or Spain every year.
I somehow doubt MOST people go to America every year...

Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Well its quite cheap these days and much quicker to get to.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:46 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Minnesotans generally show a preference for the Western half of the country, and for Florida, of course. D.C. is very popular to visit on an optional middle school field trip, and that usually also entails checking off at least Virginia, because overnight stays are cheaper in the suburbs and many DC area attractions (Mount Vernon, Alexandria, etc.) are there. I've been to about a dozen states and one territory (D.C.) and I'm probably low average for a local my age and education level when it comes to % of states visited. Unlike most Minnesotans, I have never been west of the Black Hills (western South Dakota), but then again, I've been to NYC, which I would estimate a fifth to third of Minnesotans my age have been.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:00 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
I have been to 23 States so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World