Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Australia is a large country, so most Australians have only seen a tiny fraction of the country. They will typically take road trips to nearby places, like maybe a 3-4 hour or 7-8 hour drive (or maybe 10 hours), and less commonly huge road trips. Cross country or long road trips are done by a few, but for the journey (air travel is far more common) - I've done it, but I'm probably like less than 5%. It takes 5 days to drive across the country leisurely and there's a lot of empty space, but it's interesting.

It seems most have been to nearby places like Margaret River or Albany, and a few interstate destinations like Sydney, Melbourne, maybe the Gold Coast. It seems a minority have been to our capital, Canberra.

I imagine it'd be a lot different in smaller nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
The main travel patterns in Canada are eastern and western. People from western Canada tend to travel in the west and to neighbouring states, and people in the eastern part of the country tend to do the same.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The main travel patterns in Canada are eastern and western. People from western Canada tend to travel in the west and to neighbouring states, and people in the eastern part of the country tend to do the same.
It seems most Perthites have at least been to Sydney and/or Melbourne. Would you say the same about most Vancouverites?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:09 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
In the United States, it seems to me that people travel a lot within their nearby region - say, within 200-300 miles of where they live. However, outside of this radius, traveling falls off significantly except for by plane.

It is probably more likely that someone has visited a foreign country on another continent than they have been to most places in the United States a thousand miles from where they live.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the United States, it seems to me that people travel a lot within their nearby region - say, within 200-300 miles of where they live. However, outside of this radius, traveling falls off significantly except for by plane.

It is probably more likely that someone has visited a foreign country on another continent than they have been to most places in the United States a thousand miles from where they live.
I'm curious as to what percentage of Americans have been to say, New York, DC, The Grand Canyon, LA, Vegas? Could you give a rough guess?

For instance I would say that only a few percent of Australians have been to Uluru (Ayers Rock), maybe less than 10-15% the Great Barrier Reef, maybe about 40-50% have been to Sydney?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems most Perthites have at least been to Sydney and/or Melbourne. Would you say the same about most Vancouverites?
Most people I know have been to Toronto several times. Montreal as well but perhaps a little less so.
I find a lot of people in Toronto and Montreal haven't been to Vancouver though.
This of course is perception. I have no idea if there are any real stats to back this up.

As Acajack mentioned a lot of Canadians and Americans do the north/south trips. In winter, it's a no brainer to hop a plane and be in warmer weather in 2 1/2 hours. Also driving holidays are popular and L.A., S.F. are within easy reach.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most people I know have been to Toronto several times. Montreal as well but perhaps a little less so.
I find a lot of people in Toronto and Montreal haven't been to Vancouver though.
This of course is perception. I have no idea if there are any real stats to back this up.
I've found this the case too. In the East few people have been out west: I guess there's less to draw you there, just Perth and a lot of wide open space/wilderness, which I guess is for a certain type of traveller.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
I've found this the case too. In the East few people have been out west: I guess there's less to draw you there, just Perth and a lot of wide open space/wilderness, which I guess is for a certain type of traveller.
Well Vancouver is not as isolated as Perth, with Seattle a two hour drive away and many holiday spots such as Victoria on Vancouver Island, Whistler and the Okanagan wine country. I will agree it's not the same as us going back east since you could fit in Toronto, NYC etc on one trip.

Most overseas travellers will do Banff/Calgary, Vancouver/Seattle or Victoria in one trip.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well Vancouver is not as isolated as Perth, with Seattle a two hour drive away and many holiday spots such as Victoria on Vancouver Island, Whistler and the Okanagan wine country. I will agree it's not the same as us going back east since you could fit in Toronto, NYC etc on one trip.

Most overseas travellers will do Banff/Calgary, Vancouver/Seattle or Victoria in one trip.
Yep...Vancouver has Calgary as well, and Seattle. Perth has, well, nothing...imagine if San Diego was the ONLY city (of any size) west of the Mississippi. That's EXACTLY what Perth is. Australia is about the size of the lower 48 states.

I hope to one day do a VIA rail journey across Canada or, at least the mountain part. It seems like the most stunning way to see them cross-country. Would love to go skiing in Banff/Whistler/Lake Louise.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to what percentage of Americans have been to say, New York, DC, The Grand Canyon, LA, Vegas? Could you give a rough guess?

For instance I would say that only a few percent of Australians have been to Uluru (Ayers Rock), maybe less than 10-15% the Great Barrier Reef, maybe about 40-50% have been to Sydney?
Within my social circle mostly from Minnesota and Wisconsin...
NY - 25 percent
DC - 90 percent
a lot of schools (junior and or middle) have field trips to DC.
Grand Canyon and Vegas - 40 percent
LA - 10 percent
to escape the cold most go to the east coast.
Florida, and Myrtle Beach, SC are very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World