Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how accurate these perceptions are, but it seems Malaysia in general is not as well known to Britons as some other countries in the region. India, for instance, a former colony, Thailand, never a colony, or Hong Kong and Singapore.

By visitor numbers, about 1 million Britons visit Thailand every year. About half that visit Singapore, and another half a million or so visit Singapore, so I guess in tourism numbers Malaysia + Singapore is actually rather similar.

Still, it seems there aren't as many Malaysian immigrants to the UK (well I guess smaller population), although a decent amount (Singapore). My dad and auntie lived in London for quite a few years...Malaysian food isn't as prominent (not as much as Thai) even though it's so renowned. I guess also the fact Malaysia is more English speaking than Thailand or India should make it seem more prominent.

I guess Malaysia has also been more keen to shed it's colonial connections than Singapore too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Possibly because there are just so many previous British colonies. Not only that, but Hong Kong and Singapore and India are just monsters...that I think it becomes easier to dismiss Malaysia, Myanmar, and others...

Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
I know of quite a few former British service people and their dependents who are quite aware of Malaysia and have either retired or taken nostalgia type vacations to the country. Some of the dependents have formed what they call Brit Brat clubs. They take group tours to Malaysia, look for places where they used to live and even make connections with some of the locals they knew back in the day.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Where is the Postman these days? I miss his posts.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:24 AM

9 posts, read 10,604 times
India is a larger country and was an important area in the British Empire, Indians are highly visible in England. Hong Kong and Singapore are well-known global cities, transport hubs and most Chinese in the UK come from the 2 cities.

Malaysia is a more coservative and religious country than Singapore and Thailand.

Malaysia has good economy among developing countries, so they are not very interested in emigrating to a developed country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World