Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times

Advertisements

Here in Toronto, the business streets are cleaned daily by both vacuum trucks, and individual city workers, while residential streets are swept on a monthly basis, with a spring and fall extra cleaning, as the weather changes.

Toronto has over 15,000 street side recycling bins, that are installed and maintained by a private company, who place advertising on the sides of the bins. The city of Toronto removes the recycled materials nightly, with city trucks, and SELLS it to recycling companies that make various products from it. That income stream generates about 80 million dollars of profit for the city of Toronto, each year.

On my residential street, the individual home owners sweep up the leaves, and make sure that the storm drains are clear of any blockage, to prevent flooding. In the spring, there is an accumulation of sand from winter snow clearing operations, and that sand is recovered and recycled. Leaves cannot be burned here, so the city picks them up in large paper bags, that are mulched and made into usable materials for the city parks and gardens.

Here is a series of photos of the street recycling bins in Toronto.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=photo...hp%3B448%3B336

City of Toronto sweeper buggy.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=photo...%3B1063%3B1116

JIm B.

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In NYC, the most streets are cleaned twice a week. Each side is cleaned on a different day of the week and during that time one must move their parked cars or be ticketed. This is annoying especially if one wants to go away on vacation and must find alternate parking for the duration of their time outside the city. So I was wondering if it was the same in other cities (big or small) around the world. How often are your streets cleaned (outside of set holidays) and what do you with your cars in such circumstances if you are out of town?
They clean them everyday using these duster car thingys.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Where I live now I only see the streets being clean in the spring (to get rid of dust and gravel) and autumn (to get rid of leaves). No one has to move their car. When I lived in a bigger city I saw the streets being cleaned all the time by a person with a dustpan and broom (and those street cleaning cars sometimes) but still no need to move cars. The only times you needed to move your car was when they were clearing the snow in winter - we got a ticket once for not moving our car then.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
They don't have street cleaning here. I can leave my car on the street however long I like.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
At least once a week here. But we don't need to move our cars.
I remember while in Montpelier and Aix-en-Provence that the streets in the centre had to be cleaned every morning because drunk students vomit and pee every night everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World