Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times

Advertisements

I would say yes...for instance, the cult of the individual, free will, the idea that you create your own destiny etc, the prevalence of libertarianism...it seems there's a lack of a sense of community that one finds in say Britain (not that I have a too rosy view of the English village or anything) or even Australia. I think the fact that government policies which try to benefit the community are usually eschewed in the US compared to here or the UK or Canada or NZ. Even visiting the US it seemed sort of cold, heartless, and 'dog eat dog', and it seems like the government doesn't really care about the people and the police are just really harsh.

Also family seems in general more alienated from each other even compared to here (of course it varies with the individual/family). Family ties seem stronger say among Italian Americans, blacks, Hispanics, Southerners for instance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM

733 posts, read 940,397 times
Prevalence of libertarianism? Hardly, there are plenty of people that like calling themselves libertarian.

It's possible, I guess, I don't think it's by that much, I'm not sure.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 PM

579 posts, read 762,398 times
2 reasons

1) Multiculturalism/melting pot
2) Capatailism

Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,384 times
I'd say it's primarily because of our very individualistic interpretation of capitalism, which has come to define or alternatively be defined by our ways of life. Our immigrant heritage probably plays a role, since people were always coming here with the intent to get better lives for themselves, and leading to superficiality because people can't develop close relationships or even care for one another if you're always on the move.

A lot of it also has to do plainly with our government and our conceptions of what it should be, tying in with capitalism. Good social programs are a pretty far ways away, sine their often misunderstood or just unwanted.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
I think so. Americans have always had a slight distrust in government. I think Americans are caring, but they would rather use their own dollars to help a neighbor that deserves help rather than give it to the government in hopes they spend it wisely/effectively.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I think so. Americans have always had a slight distrust in government. I think Americans are caring, but they would rather use their own dollars to help a neighbor that deserves help rather than give it to the government in hopes they spend it wisely/effectively.
Definitely this.

Many people who have never lived in the United States have certain ideas of what the people are like. However, if your car is stuck in the snow, you can almost rest assured someone is going to stop to help you push it out. I can't think of how many times I've been short with money and people give me a dollar or so. I've been at a gas station, and asked to put in 2 dollars to get home and the clerk gave me a 5 dollar bill.

You're right though, Americans have a huge distrust in the government.. it's what our country was founded on and it's not a very old country.

We're individualistic to a point though. It has a lot to do with our culture of kids moving out at a young age, making money and career minded people. You can't generalize the entire country, it's too big and too diverse but I wouldn't disagree that we're individualistic in certain areas.. which isn't all bad.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I would say yes...for instance, the cult of the individual, free will, the idea that you create your own destiny etc, the prevalence of libertarianism...it seems there's a lack of a sense of community that one finds in say Britain (not that I have a too rosy view of the English village or anything) or even Australia. I think the fact that government policies which try to benefit the community are usually eschewed in the US compared to here or the UK or Canada or NZ. Even visiting the US it seemed sort of cold, heartless, and 'dog eat dog', and it seems like the government doesn't really care about the people and the police are just really harsh.

Also family seems in general more alienated from each other even compared to here (of course it varies with the individual/family). Family ties seem stronger say among Italian Americans, blacks, Hispanics, Southerners for instance...
Like everything else in the USA, this varies with region and to a large degree with the cultures within each country. This may come out the wrong way but a lot of what you seem to be talking about describes white-America outside of the south. At least as far as the weaker family ties are concerned. People in the south and minorities all over the country have very strong family ties. Blacks, Latinos and Asians are very close with their families. These groups also display a strong sense of community as well. And I can now see that you touched on this already LOL As far as government not caring about the people, yeah we know that. Our government has been bought and paid for. State and local governments are where most of any services that help people come from. I've said before, when it comes to helping our own, we fail miserably at that. We take so much pride when we hear about the US helping others, even if those others got themselves into whatever mess they're in. We ask for no repayment. Contrast that when it's domestic; I just heard on the news that a family had to be rescued from somewhere and there are calls to make them pay for their own rescue since they were negligent. We send aide all over the world but step right over the homeless people on our own streets. So to answer your question, I would say yes and that I agree with you.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
2 reasons

1) Multiculturalism/melting pot
2) Capatailism
if the first point is true then it should be for every other multicultural country as well but it isn't. I agree with the second point though.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:29 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Definitely this.

Many people who have never lived in the United States have certain ideas of what the people are like. However, if your car is stuck in the snow, you can almost rest assured someone is going to stop to help you push it out. I can't think of how many times I've been short with money and people give me a dollar or so. I've been at a gas station, and asked to put in 2 dollars to get home and the clerk gave me a 5 dollar bill.

You're right though, Americans have a huge distrust in the government.. it's what our country was founded on and it's not a very old country.

We're individualistic to a point though. It has a lot to do with our culture of kids moving out at a young age, making money and career minded people. You can't generalize the entire country, it's too big and too diverse but I wouldn't disagree that we're individualistic in certain areas.. which isn't all bad.

I'm curious about this "huge distrust in the government". Did it exist during WWII? During the 1950's? Did it exist when the US landed men on the moon? And I guess my biggest question of all, why is the US military so highly respected vs Fed Govt social programs, when they are both part of the big bad mistrusted Fed Govt?

My own view is that before the era of multiculturalism, civil rights, and very high immigration (1965 immigration law), people viewed the Fed Govt in a more benign fashion. I know quite a few co-workers and acquaintances that have this distrust of the Fed Govt., and when you scratch the surface it is all about the Fed Govt being on the side of minorities and immigrants, and giving them handouts.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious about this "huge distrust in the government". Did it exist during WWII? During the 1950's? Did it exist when the US landed men on the moon? And I guess my biggest question of all, why is the US military so highly respected vs Fed Govt social programs, when they are both part of the big bad mistrusted Fed Govt?

My own view is that before the era of multiculturalism, civil rights, and very high immigration (1965 immigration law), people viewed the Fed Govt in a more benign fashion. I know quite a few co-workers and acquaintances that have this distrust of the Fed Govt., and when you scratch the surface it is all about the Fed Govt being on the side of minorities and immigrants, and giving them handouts.
So what you're saying is, those who have been privileged now mistrust the govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World