Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Russian-Chinese marriages: Love or convenience? | Russia Beyond The Headlines ASIA

I think there might be more Russian-Chinese mixed marriages, especially as Russia seems to have a surplus of women and China of men. Of course, they'll always be a minority I think, but especially in border towns, we will see more of this, and more people of mixed Sino-Russian ancestry.

Sino-Russian relations are of course nothing new, there were large Russian communities (especially in Harbin) before the Communist takeover, and Chinese living in Russia (including Vladivostok, formerly a Chinese city) but these were largely extirpated by the respective Communist regime, especially as relations between the two countries soured.

Russians travel to China in large numbers, and in the Far East there seems to be an interesting relationship between the two (not always good, but interesting nonetheless).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Russian-Chinese marriages: Love or convenience? | Russia Beyond The Headlines ASIA

I think there might be more Russian-Chinese mixed marriages, especially as Russia seems to have a surplus of women and China of men. Of course, they'll always be a minority I think, but especially in border towns, we will see more of this, and more people of mixed Sino-Russian ancestry.

Sino-Russian relations are of course nothing new, there were large Russian communities (especially in Harbin) before the Communist takeover, and Chinese living in Russia (including Vladivostok, formerly a Chinese city) but these were largely extirpated by the respective Communist regime, especially as relations between the two countries soured.

Russians travel to China in large numbers, and in the Far East there seems to be an interesting relationship between the two (not always good, but interesting nonetheless).
One of my students has a Chinese father and Russian mother; another has a Russian father and a Chinese mother. In an interesting paradigm shift, the children think of me as a novelty for being blonde-haired and blue-eyed but not speaking Russian; the school I teach is in the Taojin district, which is one of the more foreigner-heavy enclaves. I live in the Liede district, which is a bit more upper class and has a lot of Americans, Australians, British and other Europeans, while Taojin is generally more middle-class (though up on the hill you have one of the wealthiest parts of GZ) and has more Russian/CIS, Middle Easterners, Africans, Central Asians, etc.

Here in Taojin, you do actually see a fair number of Russian-Chinese relationships, and I'd wager to say that they're probably about 50/50 male to female, whereas when it comes to North American/Euro/Aussie-Chinese, it's like 90/10 male to female. There are still lots of areas in Russia where the poverty relative to what you see in the West is pretty grave, and for a leggy, possibly busty and/or blonde, blue-eyed woman, it's no sweat to come here and marry a wealthy, educated, and cultured Chinese guy who will treat them like royalty and live in much higher standards than what they could hope for back home. And then, plenty of Russian guys come here and all the same that happens to plenty of us other foreigners, they meet a girl they like and the rest is history.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:33 AM

Interesting, so are the children mostly just Chinese? Are they just treated like anyone else?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 AM

318 posts, read 638,825 times
I met a half Ukrainian and half Chinese woman before, she looked like a Latin American Mestiza.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided in going to the Ukraine. There is still a healthy supply of Ukranian women if the Russian numbers start dwindling.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Interesting, so are the children mostly just Chinese? Are they just treated like anyone else?
Yeah, that's basically how most of the kids treat them. One of them is still quite young at 4, the other is a bit older, and she's a member of the Young Pioneers of China so she wears a little red scarf with her school uniform, but then there are also a few black or Middle Eastern kids who are Young Pioneers too since most schools require them to become members, so it's not surprising. They play with other kids at school all the same, you see them in the housing estate plaza playing together... they were born and raised here so they're more or less perfectly integrated. The adults seem to treat them the same, too, with maybe a bit higher-than-average fawning over how beautiful they are from the female teachers and aunties.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM

579 posts, read 761,916 times
Quote:
Dominant traits. The child no longer looks White.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:10 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,196 times
They're certainly not lacking in physical attractiveness.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
The article says that it is a rarity

Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
Dominant traits. The child no longer looks White.
It varies, some look more white some more asian. You probably just see the asian side more because you're used to European features. A Chinese person will see the European traits more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World