Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 02:20 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times

Advertisements

china is just a huge low wage factory

their is nothing really inovative about it , i dont see it surpassing the usa as the worlds largest economy for at least fifty years if ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
We (the United States) need to be nicer to Russia so we can build the Bering strait tunnel or bridge so we can have a rail link between the US and China.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

their is nothing really inovative about it , i dont see it surpassing the usa as the worlds largest economy for at least fifty years if ever
They measure GDP, not innovation. In that sense China will take over the US (and the even larger EU) anytime in the next decade or so. I believe they do actually innovate, they build processors, have a space program, develop airplanes etc. They just have some catching up to do.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
There is no denying in my comment that China is still in its developing phase and on a per capita basis it is poor. Of course, GDP is not a measure of wealth or welling being of its ordinary people. But rather GDP is important in the sense that China is a geopolitically important country. The importance of China politically, economically, militarily, is becoming apparent by each day. And it is challenging the US supremacy in all fronts
Look, try to read what you're actually quoting. This was in response to you veering off into test scores and the poverty of NYC. I addressed these. I have no qualms of what you're saying here in regards to China being a geopolitically important country and one that is increasingly so. It is challenging US supremacy in several fronts, though obviously not all.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

That's a pretty ridiculous assumption that I've heard tossed around the last decade or two. This kind of mentality is going to screw us in the US, because it's become increasingly obvious that that is not true--we do not get a special pass on innovation in the US. Believing that we do is going to screw us. Work harder. Stop sitting on your retarded asses watching television.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM

872 posts, read 1,385,649 times

+1 Toynbee, at least as far as comparative trends are concerned.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Even in terms of nominal GDP, China will surpass the US in 5 years time.

The US GDP is comprised of what? mounting government debt? huge current account deficit?

In US, seeing a doctor costs you 200 dollars. In China, it is about 2 bucks.

the US GDP is very inflated.

If you have 10 people with 10 Dollars, you have 100 Dollars in total.
If you have 100 people with 1 Dollar, you have 100 Dollars, but just 1 Dollar per person. That's China.

BOTSWANA has a higher per capita income than China. So how often you hear people talking about Botswana the same way? Never, because they have a tiny population.

China's GDP per capita is 6700. The per capita GDP of the U.S. is 53100 (Botswana 7100 ).

Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 AM

143 posts, read 188,653 times
Quote:
US or EU are on solid ground? are you kidding me? Their economy is based on overconsumption and heavy debt burden.

China spends its money on building first class infrastrucure and upgrading its technology. US is squandering its borrowed money on meaningless welfare programs like Medicare.

You should learn how to hide your anti-American attitude. Without America, China cannot be where she is today. So cool it or else no one will take you seriously. By the way, if China is so great why are you living there now?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:49 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
SORRY. but if you compare Shanghai and Boston (or any other city in US) in the PISA test, Boston will look like some African country. I am sorry. but it is the truth. US really need to improve its education system. It has the best universities in the world but not the primary or secondary level education.
One of my sixth grade classes had no idea where Egypt is, what the pyramids are, or what its place in history was. They were shocked to find out that there was a major, non-Chinese civilization 5k years ago. This is at the top public primary school in China's #3 city.

I'm sure you'll have a very good excuse for this, but I was surprised as anything. I learned about Egypt alongside China and the Native Americans in first grade In the Seattle public schools but even before then I knew what those cultures were. You could basically see the three dots and question marks above these kids' heads.

Have you ever actually spent time in China outside of Shanghai's CBD or wealthier suburbs, or Boston for that matter?

Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 AM

327 posts, read 569,089 times
I got to this topic a bit late, but The US's GDP is around $16 trillion and China's is around $8 trillion or so, so it is difficult to see how China could possibly be considered the no. 1 economy in the world. In fact, it has a long way to go to catch up to the U.S.

Last edited by Chasva69; 05-04-2014 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World