Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Feel free to make your own top 10 lists, and give reasons .

By most I mean diversity, sheer scale...the area that has the most stunning sights crammed into one country.

1. China - such an amazing country. From the lush forests of the east, to the gorges of Kunming, to Tibet and the soaring peaks of the Himalayas, to the Gobi and and the sub-arctic north. Also has alot of unusual natural formations like the limestone karsts at the Yellow Mountains or near Guilin.

2. United States - almost as diverse as China. If you include Alaska and Hawaii is incredible. Lots of pretty spots like New England, also California, the Rockies, the plains.

3. India - Also extremely diverse, from snow capped mountains to rainforest and savannah.

4. Argentina - Few things rival the majesty of the Andes. Beautiful blue glaciers in Patagonia. The pampas have a stark beauty.

5. Indonesia - A tropical nation with peaks, caves, roaring rivers, and volcanoes.

6. Ecuador - By far the smallest country on this list, but unbelievably diverse. Includes the most bio-diverse patch of land in the world (the eastern Amazon), snow-capped equatorial mountains, and the unique Galapagos.

7. Australia - Yes, my own country is a bit low. Very unque, but lacks high mountains. Some sights are just as spectacular, like gorges, reef and the wide open spaces.

8. Brazil/Japan - Enough said, the Amazon is unbelievable, but lacks the diversity of Ecuador/Peru despite it's vast size. Japan is surprisingly untouched, and mixes lush forests, volcanic peaks, with interesting coastal scenery and quaint islands.

9. Turkey/Peru - Turkey is just amazing. Mountains, deserts, canyons, gorges, huge rock formations, gorgeous coastline, lush forests.

10. Canada - More than just a cold place! The Canadian Rockies are awe-inspiring, the Maritimes atmospheric, and the frozen north incomparable. Don't forget the Great Lakes either.

Honourable mentions: South Africa, Italy, Zaire, Iran, Uzbekistan, Chile, New Zealand, Mexico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM

237 posts, read 870,823 times
any country with as many trees as Canada has to be top 5. if was on average 10-15 degrees celcius in a lot of the southern half of the country up until November, the frozen wasteland argument shouldn't apply. Canada has a lot of fertile, tree covered land that has for the most part been ignored by people. Canada is top 5 in freshwater. Scientists worldwide recognize that Canada's boreal forest is one of the largest, most intact old-growth forests left on Earth. Rivalling the Amazon rainforest in size and ecological value,
niagara falls, banff national park, newfoundland, british columbia's coast, the glaciers, the prairies, rocky mountains, st. lawrence seaway, cape breton. another list underrating the great white north.

Russia is another huge country that can't be ignored.

have China, India, Brazil really looked after their country's natural beauty ? brazil has the largest area of forest removed annually. China and India both have over a billion people. are there still parts of those countries with untouched areas ?they both have low levels of sanitation.

1 Israel leading fruit exporting nation even has God's name written on the mountains of Bethel.
2 Greece fires destroyed some of the land but it's still very beautiful with great weather.
3 USA can't argue with florida, california, the grand canyans.
4 Canada lots of forest, picturesque scenery, tall mountains, prairies, lakes, waterfalls.
5 Germany very nice
6 Russia very beautiful country. goes all the way from norway to alaska.
7 Morocco interesting place.
8 Scotland it's Scotland.
9 Australia very big, serene with nice weather.
10 Switzerland the alps.
11 Spain one of the best parts of Europe.

Last edited by grmike; 12-01-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 PM

101 posts, read 763,481 times
1)Norway - for it great quality of life and breathtaking nature.

2) New Zealand - seems to be a land of contrasts with beaches (although not as great as those in Aus.), fjords, mountains etc.

3) Switzerland - need I mention anything? (for those who are not aware - this country is known for its chocolate, the Alps and it's picturesque towns)

4) Canada - nature nature nature! and very kind and friendly people to top it off.

5) US - very very diverse; friendly people and truly a land of opportunities

6) France - high quality "everything" comes to my mind (it's too couture so to speak)

7) The Netherlands - nothing beats this land when it comes to canals, tulips and french fries served with mayonnaise! Netherlands also has a very laid-back atmosphere and the people are just awesome.

8) Australia - a very rugged beauty in the West to the more laid-back East, with a dollop of English tradition.

9) Sweden - apart from the meatballs with lingonberry sauce (which is delicious!), Sweden is like Norway's sister when it comes to nature, and the people take nature seriously (as they do in the other Scandinavian countries).

10) India - very diverse, from the snow capped peaks in the North to the intricate temples in the South to serene, calm beaches in the West to some of the nicest lakes in the East.

11) Turkey - oh yes, may be it's their language or the doner and iskendar kebaps...or may be it's just that country with a very Mediterranean-middle eastern feel to it.

Others places which I think are great: Austria, Croatia, South Africa (if it weren't so violent these days, this would be in my top 10 list), Peru, Iran, Lebanon, and Myanmar (Burma)

Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Any list that doesn't have New Zealand on it isn't written by a serious person.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM

237 posts, read 870,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Any list that doesn't have Greece on it isn't written by a serious person.
that's better.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Any list that doesn't have New Zealand on it isn't written by a serious person.
I've been to NZ and it is great, but alot of those countries are just as great, and while I haven't been to alot of those other countries, I have been to China and anybody who doesn't put it in the top 3 at least just doesn't know enough about it. I was absolutely blown away with the things I saw there, we're talking some massive mountains, weird scenery, gorges, deserts, forrests as pretty as anywhere in Europe or North America.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 AM

3,782 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
8. Brazil/Japan - Enough said, the Amazon is unbelievable, but lacks the diversity of Ecuador/Peru despite it's vast size. Japan is surprisingly untouched, and mixes lush forests, volcanic peaks, with interesting coastal scenery and quaint islands.

9. Turkey/Peru - Turkey is just amazing. Mountains, deserts, canyons, gorges, huge rock formations, gorgeous coastline, lush forests.
Just curious: why did you pair up Brazil and Japan; Turkey and Peru?? It seems that you could have paired, say, Ecuador/Peru, and Korea/Japan.

Maybe I think too much.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Just curious: why did you pair up Brazil and Japan; Turkey and Peru?? It seems that you could have paired, say, Ecuador/Peru, and Korea/Japan.

Maybe I think too much.

Equal rank, nothing to do with geography. Korea would probably not even be in my top 20.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
I really like the OP's list although I would consider switching China and the US if only because Alaska and Hawaii make it just about unbeatable. But I've been to China as well and agree that only a fool would not include it towards the top. What does a large population have to do with natural beauty? The vast majority of its population lies in the relatively boring coastal plains.
Don't forget there are interesting beaches in Hong Kong and the rest of Southern China.

One other thing: I think Russia should be mentioned along with Canada here because everything Canada has in terms of natural beauty, I believe Russia has on a larger scale.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I really like the OP's list although I would consider switching China and the US if only because Alaska and Hawaii make it just about unbeatable. But I've been to China as well and agree that only a fool would not include it towards the top. What does a large population have to do with natural beauty? The vast majority of its population lies in the relatively boring coastal plains.
Don't forget there are interesting beaches in Hong Kong and the rest of Southern China.
I don't think so and that's because most countries comprise one continuous landmass which has to do with the geographical area and that's more natural. america has 'territories' they've acquired as being america but it's not really natural to say alaska is america in this context when it's next to canada and hawaii is way out in the pacific. besides, i've seen pics of china's landscape and it's more stunning in my opinion so it's also personal perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World