Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:59 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of windsor View Post
London is the richer more important city. Period.
Actually, London is a working class middle income place compared to SF
, just like NY there are a few rich people lost in sea of middle and lower class folks, which isnt a bad thing.

San Francisco is just more upscale than both overall.

So yeah...go in peace.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually, London is a working class middle income place compared to SF
, just like NY there are a few rich people lost in sea of middle and lower class folks, which isnt a bad thing.

So yeah...go in peace.
I think there is some validity in what he said. Obviously London is the larger city but nonetheless, in absolute terms London has quite a few more millionaires, multi-millionaires, multi-millionaires with over 30M and more billionaires than S.F. Sure The Bay area might be more of an equalizer but then again how far out should we go for London in comparison. The Bay area is hardly anything that resembles a cohesive city so I think there is fair claim for London to be able to extend out to MSA equivalents as you are for S.F. The only problem is London doesn't have an MSA as is the case for pretty much every city in the world that isn't American.. This isn't a slight against the U.S.A from me, but Americans in here always seem to compare their MSA's for VS's in city data against International cities (GDP is a big one I see) and the simple fact is they are comparing bloated areas that are sizes of small countries to International cities that don't use the same measurements. Ultimately the comparisons are usually invalid and always give an unfair advantage to this bloated American statistic that is a MSA/CSA that nobody else has.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/files/201...h-briefing.pdf

I mean look at what the Bay area is.... its fairly large chunk of California which is 18088 sq Kilometres.. What would you have to use in the UK to cover such a vast area? Greater London is only 1569 sq Kilometres.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-23-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 AM

296 posts, read 469,372 times
Quote:
Oh, and slumping mutual funds and investment portfolios don't affect everyone? Really?

I don't see how that's possible unless we're talking about speculation and market manipulation. Normally, finance takes its cues from various industries including tech. The markets just don't crash for nothing or at the whim of overlords in London(LOL). No, the market declines for example, if sales data or growth data is below expectations for certain companies or industries.

That's not to say that financial hubs don't wield power, but they aren't the absolute deciders of the future.

Huh?

Central Banks exist to take measures that will stabilize their national economies. They rely on data from around the world(not just London) weighed together with the state of their own economy to determine policy.
I don't know what points you're responding to here, but they're certainly nothing to do with the comments I've made. Time to read my comment again and address what I actually wrote.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:01 AM

47 posts, read 65,982 times
Quote:

So yeah...go in peace.
San Francisco is just as middle-class. What, you think that GDP makes it rich? But then again, I don't blame you for thinking such things as you're not used to seeing wealth from your ghetto slum of Oakland.

Metro areas are all middle-class (some slightly more middle-class than others) but it is the riches that set them apart. Which is why London looks like a showstopper and San Francisco looks frighteningly downmarket. San Francisco is no place for a globe-trotting person of taste and leisure. It is not glamorous nor has ever been any sort of destination.

This thread is not overall as the OP can clearly afford to live in the central part of London. In the real world, no one with any sort of life cares about what Sue and John in Zone 6 earn in comparison to what James and Mary in some obscure suburb of San Francisco earn. Deep love of such statistics is what San Franciscans with inferiority complex pour over to make themselves feel better that no one really cares about San Francisco in the first place. It's not a thing and never will be, outside of the awkward of the geeky tech community LOL. London is a city super rich buy a house because London is London, San Francisco is not a city in which people from all over the world trip over themselves to buy a home.

The OP will be around people his wage and I'm sorry but when it comes to rich people both of those cities kill San Francisco and make it seem bargain basement. LMAO. People with money and taste live in a bubble. And San Francisco's elite bubble is so common compared to that of London ugh. Inner London where everyone in the evening, the populace is gracing the beautifully landscaped stone streets in fabulous haute couture gowns and bespoke suits vs San Francisco where everyone looks as if they got dressed after immediately waking up and fell down the ugly tree and hit every single branch on the way down...on their way to a coffee shop as there is nothing to do in San Francisco but look at paparazzi pictures of their "resident billionaires" having fun in cities that matter, cities they wish they were..cities of exhilarating energy, of fashion, of glamour, of taste..you know like London or New York.

You know, there is a reason why super rich go to those places, not San Francisco. And if you polled super-rich throughout the world, do you think San Francisco would make it to even the top 20 in terms of desire? Hell, I feel so sad for San Francisco in this shockingly lopsided poll I actually voted for it myself. I can't help but to laugh.

Last edited by duke of windsor; 05-23-2014 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 01:36 AM

How do you manage to live in Oakland anyway? San Francisco in general a very scary place compared to London. The streets are filthy, gangs everywhere, crime is rampant.

And I did not know much about Oakland until I had to look it up. It's the most dangerous city in America!

Oakland - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Interesting how you tend to look over crime. London appears very civilised and San Francisco uncivilised.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 AM

296 posts, read 469,372 times
Quote:
Why settle for wretched and dreary weather in London or New York when I can live in the best place in the world, which is the Bay Area.
Before this thread gets locked, a summary of my observations of London weather over the past 12 months to dispel some of the sillier myths about the weather here.

Summer: spectacularly beautiful with an abundance of sunny days, clear skies or days with light scattered clouds. Mild to moderate humidity. Temps as high as 85 degrees. Occasional short stretches of cloudy weather. Rarely unpleasantly hot.

Fall: mostly like summer except temperatures reach a maximum of around 75 degrees. Probably my favorite time of the year.

Winter: increasingly cloudy up to december, then overcast weather from january to february. Hardly ever bitingly cold but lack of sunshine may be an issue. This is curtailed by short daylight hours meaning that the vibrant early evening environment begins earlier in the day.

Spring: overcast weather gives way to weeks of spectacular cloud formations. Warm to very warm sunny periods interrupted by sudden and unpredictable downpours.

Mid-late spring: Low sun, dramatic clouds and white stone architecture combine to give a very characteristic look to the city. Best described in pictures (mostly taken late spring):

List of neighborhoods/areas shown: West End (Regent Street), West End (Piccadilly - Green Park), St James, Kensington, South Bank, Mayfair, Westminster.

Last edited by BennyBucks; 05-23-2014 at 03:02 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 AM

Why doesn't anyone care about San Francisco

Foreign Tourists, 2013
London: 12,800,000
San Francisco: 1,364,996

San Francisco is a small dull city and that's ok if you like that. But it will never have as much wealth or be as powerful as the global financial center - London.

Last edited by duke of windsor; 05-23-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,849,637 times
Yeah, what is so wrong with having working class in a city.

It is the working class mainly who have supplied most of the great cities culture.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 AM

Wow, those pics could be anywhere in the world, how monotonous.

I did the London thing before I realized that it wasnt really up to par with SF but really nowhere is.

SF is just so effortless. It doesnt take any effort to love the place while I found myself having to make due and overlook deficiencies with London.

Just goes back to my impossible criteria I suppose.

Wealth
Educational Attainment
Economic opportunity & Upward Mobility
Racial Diversity & Cosmopolitanisn
Upscale urban environment
World Class Amenities(cultural, touristic, shopping, dining, recreational etc)
Corporate Concentration
Exquisite Climate
Natural Setting

SF doesnt require you to sacrifice any of the above. London, for all of its strengths would require too much sacrifice for someone like me. Not worth it.

SF is the total package. London well, isnt.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yeah, what is so wrong with having working class in a city.

It is the working class mainly who have supplied most of the great cities culture.
Yes I agree 100%.

It's time that 'duke of windsor' stop ignoring London's true working class/ middle class nature but instead embrace it.

Power to the people

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World