Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:09 PM

177 posts, read 269,135 times

Advertisements

Yep NYC has a huge Muslim population. There are big mosques here too, and neighborhood with tons of ethnic minorities from Muslim countries, such as Egyptian, Lebanese etc. I go to Brooklyn once in a while to get my Lebanese fare. Love zaatar.

Last edited by Tdiva; 05-18-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
I have a question what obvious reasons if the USA off your list, I'm curious, I would love to have you here in the states
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
What are the reasons why USA are off the list? Some parts of the US are really welcoming like New England, PNW and the mid-Atlantic states unlike the bible bashing belt (Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee etc)
i don't want to derail this topic into a heated political argument .i do recognize that many americans are nothing like their government. but I'm cautioned by several friends' personal unpleasant experiences, which is enough for me. but if you like polls -i don't- , you can read this one http://www.aaiusa.org/page/-/Polls/A...vide_Final.pdf for the question about each group/minority: "Arabs, Muslims, Arab Americans, and American Muslims have the lowest favorable/highest unfavorable ratings among the groups covered." if you belong not only to the least favorable minority in a certain country, but to the two least favorable* -that's a double-, then, is it really smart to move in there, while you have other choices? *the last two rows in the first table.

thanks for the reply!
sorry about my messy english btw.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
If you want to stick within the Anglosphere I'd say Canada,Australia or New Zealand all fall into your criteria.
Otherwise Netherland, Belgium or Northern European countries are pretty good in all terms and they all have large percentage of population speaking English as their second or third language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
From what you said I would suggest Australia, UK or NZ. A country doesn't need to be multicultural to be welcoming to different types of people.. Some countries have less stereotypes about some origins precisely because they are so few than the population didn't make any generalities (yet).
Quote:

I'd say either say the UK, Northern United States or Canada. Australia and NZ doesn't strike me as being really multicultural.
Hi
can you suggest cities in Australia / New Zealand? Melbourne seems beautiful, but i get extremely opposing experiences about it, and about Australia in general. from living hell to heaven on earth.

as I said, Canada seems perfect, specially Vancouver for its relatively warm weather, but it's next to impossible to enroll in a master's degree there.

what parts of the UK are better for my situation?
what do you think of Dublin , Ireland?

many thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pizzaman View Post
Hi
can you suggest cities in Australia / New Zealand? Melbourne seems beautiful, but i get extremely opposing experiences about it, and about Australia in general. from living hell to heaven on earth.

as I said, Canada seems perfect, specially Vancouver for its relatively warm weather, but it's next to impossible to enroll in a master's degree there.

what parts of the UK are better for my situation?
what do you think of Dublin , Ireland?

many thanks
I'm no expert but for the UK I'd say London, Birmingham, Manchester and the smaller cities like Oxford and Cambridge.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm no expert but for the UK I'd say London, Birmingham, Manchester and the smaller cities like Oxford and Cambridge.
hi
what do you think of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee?
thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pizzaman View Post
i don't want to derail this topic into a heated political argument .i do recognize that many americans are nothing like their government. but I'm cautioned by several friends' personal unpleasant experiences, which is enough for me. but if you like polls -i don't- , you can read this one http://www.aaiusa.org/page/-/Polls/A...vide_Final.pdf for the question about each group/minority: "Arabs, Muslims, Arab Americans, and American Muslims have the lowest favorable/highest unfavorable ratings among the groups covered." if you belong not only to the least favorable minority in a certain country, but to the two least favorable* -that's a double-, then, is it really smart to move in there, while you have other choices? *the last two rows in the first table.

thanks for the reply!
sorry about my messy english btw.
It's rather naive to believe that any country you go to will be devoid of idiots.

I work in international higher education; there are tens of thousands of Arab Muslims studying in the USA and having a great time. Many stay after completing their degrees.

I'm unsure the UK has less anti-Arab Muslim sentiment that the US. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Where are you from and is there anything wrong with the UAE, Qatar and Kuwait?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:36 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times
Quote:
That's kinda not true everyone in the world is exposed to racial stereotypes people need to come in contact with different ethnicities to realise that not everyone from a certain racial group fuel the stereotypes. Some people from countries that are homogeneous can be very very xenophobic or just plain racist, heard Japan is a good example.
Yep. You just said the exact same thing as I did in reverse. We both used the word "some" and I said "doesn't need to" which is different than "have to".
Or my English is worse than I thought and I would really appreciate a correction because that's what I meant. Being multicultural doesn't always mean a country is open, an homogeneous country doesn't mean a country is always racist.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
It's rather naive to believe that any country you go to will be devoid of idiots.

I work in international higher education; there are tens of thousands of Arab Muslims studying in the USA and having a great time. Many stay after completing their degrees.

I'm unsure the UK has less anti-Arab Muslim sentiment that the US. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more.
I also work in International education and 80% of my students are Middle Eastern. They are treated very well and have lots of fun.

My Muslim friends that have lived here since childhood have never
complained about racism.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
If you come to the US and act like an idiot you will have no problem feeling unwelcomed. There's a good possibility based on the nature of your question that you would be unable to function normally in society, so please.. come on over to the US. You will probably not be able to find a job with that attitude, so you won't last here much longer than your masters degree either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World