Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,958,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I havent' been, but I guess it's because Ethiopia makes it onto lists like this.

The 20 Most Homicidal Countries In The World - Business Insider
I don't know about the homicides per 100,000, but people there and on the [domain blocked due to spam] Ethiopia forum said that the 20,000+ homicides was not true.

It's also one of the African countries you rarely see on the news for violence related topics, I've only seen it on the news for the previous famine that occurred there.

Also, the rate decreased to 12 per 100,000 in 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,472,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I havent' been, but I guess it's because Ethiopia makes it onto lists like this.

The 20 Most Homicidal Countries In The World - Business Insider
I have never been to Ethiopia but imo people won't really look into it when African nations are featured in these kind of "most dangerous" or "most homicidal" lists(like myself lol).They would just "assume" that it is true."The most misunderstood continent" indeed.

Anyway I found this list to be quite interesting.It feels more like a list where people actually "go" to those places then judge how safe they feel over there,instead of simply listing the most obvious choices like the Nordics and Canada(not that I'm saying the Nordics and Canada aren't safe).

Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,997,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Where would you rather raise your children?

UAE/Malta/Georgia/Bahrain/Estonia/Ethiopia/Qatar/Montenegro/Belarus/China/Kuwait
or
Canada/Netherlands/Belgium/Denmark/Sweden/Switzerland/Austria/Ireland/UK/Australia/New Zealand?
Obviously the latter.

This list is only going on the basis of crime. It doesn't count other factors such as quality of life, wealth, etc.

I mean, North Korea probably has a low crime/homicide rate, but that doesn't mean we should live there?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,354,878 times
Is Austria too irrelevant to be mentioned by the FBI or is it really more dangerous than Georgia? I somehow doubt the latter.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 AM

20 posts, read 38,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
The list:
1. Japan, Crime Rate Variable : 13.11, Safety Rate Variable : 86.89
2. Taiwan, Crime Rate Variable : 16.26, Safety Rate Variable : 83.74
3. Hong Kong, Crime Rate Variable : 16.57, Safety Rate Variable : 83.43
4. South Korea, Crime Rate Variable : 17.40, Safety Rate Variable : 82.60
5. United Arab Emirates, Crime Rate Variable : 18.01, Safety Rate Variable : 81.99
6. Malta, Crime Rate Variable : 18.54, Safety Rate Variable : 81.46
7. Luxembourg, Crime Rate Variable : 18.75, Safety Rate Variable : 81.25
8. Georgia, Crime Rate Variable : 19.57, Safety Rate Variable : 80.43
9. Bahrain, Crime Rate Variable : 19.79, Safety Rate Variable : 80.21
10. Singapore, Crime Rate Variable : 19.98, Safety Rate Variable : 80.02

Honorable mentions:
11. Iceland, Crime Rate Variable : 22.32, Safety Rate Variable : 77.68
12. Germany, Crime Rate Variable : 23.86, Safety Rate Variable : 76.14
13. Estonia, Crime Rate Variable : 24.23, Safety Rate Variable : 75.77
14. Norway, Crime Rate Variable : 25.61, Safety Rate Variable : 74.39
15. Ethiopia, Crime Rate Variable : 26.04, Safety Rate Variable : 73.96
16. Qatar, Crime Rate Variable : 26.17, Safety Rate Variable : 73.83
17. Montenegro, Crime Rate Variable : 26.56, Safety Rate Variable : 73.44
18. Belarus, Crime Rate Variable : 26.82, Safety Rate Variable : 73.18
19. China, Crime Rate Variable : 26.87, Safety Rate Variable : 73.13
20. Kuwait, Crime Rate Variable : 26.95, Safety Rate Variable : 73.05

Simply my thoughts
Middle East countries may have safe public order externally on the street, but there's severe discrimination against LGBT and conceal social atmosphere toward women
And why did you highlight malta then? It is not the middle east, it is even in the eu

Old 01-13-2015, 11:34 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,441,267 times
Hong Kong is a country?...Anyhow,sure they may be safe from crime...but places like Japan are toast falling into the ocean from too many nuclear disasters. And sure Russia is safe,you can't do anything without being watched

Old 01-13-2015, 08:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,111,194 times
The statistics are not based on actual behavior of the people who live in those countries, but on what kinds of things are considered crimes and how regularly transgressions are reported and how responsive the police are to them and how diligently the police keep records of evens.

Western countries do not make the list because the citizens have an expectation of an ordered society and report crimes to police who are responsive and who keep records diligently and make those records available to international organizations who publish them.

In most third world countries, the police are widely considered to be the enemy of the people, who go to great lengths to avoid having the police involved in their lives or even patrolling their neighborhood. Even victims of crime hide the facts of he case from the meddlesome, corrupt and heavy-handed police. So the incidence of reported crimes remains very low, regardless of the incidence of actual crime

Before one relies on simplistic international statistical comparisons, one should give some thought to how and by whom that data has been gathered and compiled.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:15 AM

266 posts, read 676,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Is Austria too irrelevant to be mentioned by the FBI or is it really more dangerous than Georgia? I somehow doubt the latter.

Austria has the second highest violent crime rates in the West, after the UK - our countries are actually higher than South Africa or the US. Reportage rates might be high in Austria, I don't know, but in the UK they're actually low despite the high amount of reports, alot due to the tradition of binge-drinking, findings show 1/5 of crimes reported to the police go unrecorded, and the fact battery or sex crimes very rarely result in conviction. For example, 70-90% of rapes go unrecorded according to the British Psychological Institute, and researchers at the University of Surrey. Of those that do go recorded one half - 2/3 get dropped by the police, and of the remainder, one third to one half gets dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service. Even with that low a threshold, we're talking about as low as 10 - 2% resulting in conviction, that's still one of the highest rates in Europe. The truth of the matter is sex crime around the world can't really be compared as the vast majority goes unrecorded/ unpunished no matter the country. This is why places like Sweden has the the world's second highest rates, not far off followed by countries like Belgium and New Zealand - perhaps not due to the amount of attacks but the success in convictions.

Although homicides are very low thanks to our gun and knife legislation. The top of the list below is a shining example of weapon control - despite relatively high violent crime rates homicide is some of the lowest in the world.

EU (and er, Canada) rankings compared to South Africa:

Last edited by smool; 01-14-2015 at 03:31 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM

32 posts, read 33,937 times
Where does US fit into that chart^

Old 01-14-2015, 06:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,111,194 times
Homicide rates can simply be ignored in making any comparisons. Homicides account for less than one percent of reportable violent crimes. When you talk about sfe countries, you are taling about countries where your house will not be burgle, your belongings or car will not be stolen, your pocket will not be picked, you will not be mugged, you will not be drugged and molested. Only one out of a hundred crime victims go to the morgue, and that tiny incidence has no material effect on the general safety.

Furthermore, even crime as a whole accounts for a limited amount of the incidents by which the safety of a community can be evaluated. Access to competent health care, disciplined driving habits, maintenance of public facilities, regulation of food and drugs, all contribute more to General Safety than the reported incidence of criminal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World