Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times

Advertisements

Integral Psychology states that there are four levels of development.

• Egocentric (similar to Carol Gilligan's "Selfish" stage as in children. Early childhood development through adolescence ... which should end by at least 30.)
  • Ethnocentric or Sociocentric (Gilligan's "Care" stage... i.e. tribalism, "my group" centered. Unfortunately, most people rarely rise above this level.)
  • Worldcentric (Gilligan's "Universal Care" stage. Heart centered. Able to parent and operate as a functional spouse and good neighbor.)
  • Being-centric (Gilligan's "Integrated" stage... more universal and spiritually unified with all)
"Within each broad stage, there are sub-levels. Spiral Dynamics is one theory that elaborates on these sub-levels." <LINK]
Perhaps a look at Ken Wilber's theories of developmental psychology, along with Piaget's theory of cognitive development, Kohlberg's stages of moral development, Maslow's hierarchy of needs, Erikson's stages of psychosocial development, and Jane Loevinger's stages of ego development.

As an African American who travels, I have to say that there are bad actors all around.
I meet so many awful Europeans ... who act like "world beaters" in run over shoes who are at least as bad as Americans. (And ouch... we are ... awful too.)

Freud once said, "The need for power is the need for love."
It's said that Americans spend over 4 billion dollars a year, traveling the world in search of places where people will love us-- yet we refuse to talk to the neighbor right next door.

Tone. Arrogance. Bigotry ... really... isn't it all an egotistical, frantic desire for power?
The need for power is really the need for love.
So.. why can't Europeans and "Americans" just go for the love?
I know it's not the 60s, but much of what makes these countries attractive to us (besides the rate of exchange) is the sense of community and good vibes they seem to have. We're all human beings... what prevents us from creating those same loving, communal vibes at home.

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-28-2014 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
US society just seems so insular and "Us and them" why is the US like this?

This isn't a bash at Americans or the USA but its just an observation from comments from Americans, their media and well everything!

Note, I'm not saying Americans are insular just the country as a whole the insularity of the country is forced upon its citizens but how did this start?

You'd think the advanced country in the world would be the most connected but sadly there not.
I'm just curious why people who are not even from the United States would be bothered by this?

Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM

351 posts, read 499,972 times
Most definitely, so disconnected that they don't even realize it. Actually, no. North Korea is the most, but the US comes in a VERY close second.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm just curious why people who are not even from the United States would be bothered by this?
Don't even bother...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I think its clear from reading this thread that many people have already made up their minds on this matter and nothing can really change that, much as I stated in my posts on the first page (which I've gotten multiple reps for, fwiw). I find it somewhat telling that few people who are certain that the US is a steaming pile have bothered to respond to those, or any of the other thoughtful and rational posts on the matter, and instead pick out the more emotional posts and hold them up as proof of what exactly they're talking about.

I'm sure that at least a few of you guys are aware of what confirmation bias is and can gather my insinuation in bringing it up. May I suggest you give it some gravity.

These posts tend to make people emotional because they aren't questions so much as statements, and they make people alternately defensive or on the attack, since the first volley has been fired.

All this aside, I think this whole matter lays out what I find to be an evident truth: ignorant people are generally too ignorant to realize they're ignorant.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
This thread was either started or became another bash America thread...I'm just really tired of the Europeans saying things so obviously and blatantly false due to their jealousy.

If you say I wonder why Americans or so us versus them and then say they are the most "disconnected" country in the world....you wonder why we have an us versus them response. As if the country that invented the atomic bomb, first and only country to go to the moon, creators of the computer and internet...is the most disconnected?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:17 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
We have fish as our neighbors to the east and west with Mexicans and Canadians to the north and south.

No offense but this was a stupid question and you've given a lot of stupid people an avenue to vent their stupidity.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
They are not the most advanced country in the world. Did you ever try internet speeds, cell phone reception or mobile internet there? Now do the same in the Netherlands.

You just show Europeans are as ignorant on American things as Americans are on European things.

Not to mention the roads here are pretty diabolical, at least in the northeast. And the electric wires are overground... in a country that has hurricanes regularly.... Plus the two-pin plugs are downright scary.

That being said, being British and having lived in London for 25 yrs at the start of my life, I find the average New Yorker to be far more cosmopolitan than the average Londoner.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Disclaimer - my original post should not be taken seriously. I was just responding angrily to Tall Traveler. Cannot stand arrogance from either side of this debate.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:09 AM

657 posts, read 802,877 times
OP: What's your defintion of the world? If you only mean western Europe, Japan, Australia and Canada, like a lot of people do on this forum, then it might be close to last on the list, in terms of being connected. If you mean the entire world, then the U.S probably doesn't even crack the top 75, for being the least connected. Sometimes I think we exaggerate U.S stereotypes way too much, for example, in this survey where geographic knowledge was tested for the following countries: Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and the U.S, the gap wasn't huge. In fact the U.K, Canada did almost as badly as the U.S, with Mexico doing worse. I can't attach the pdf for some reason, so just type in "final report roper survey national geographic" and it should come up on the first link.
The link below also shows that American patriotism is quite exagerrated too, with the gap not being that huge between a few European countries, especially among those between 18 - 29, where there are no significant differences.

The American-Western European Values Gap | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World