Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,560,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?

* Countries who were once great countries/empires are jealous at our power and angry they are considered little more than historical references.
* Smaller countries in the shadow of the US are forced by economic disparity to operate essentially American or be forced to suffer.
* Countries who were once allies are angry that global strategies may not warrant close ties.
* Oppressed peoples seek schadenfreude.
* Peoples find it easier to be angry at the US than face their own decrepit policies and approaches in the mirror.
* Modern allies are so dependent on US$, unwilling to spend on their own military and are bitter they must say "thank you."
* playground rules: they want to take the richest country and kick out the US.
* Some Political ideology
* Some Racism
* Peoples want freedom from US-style corporate co-operatism.

S.
I have been told by many foreign posters that it is our superpower status and our popularity around the world, Americanization.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:00 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,649,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I have been told by many foreign posters that it is our superpower status and our popularity around the world, Americanization.
Hmmmm. I see superpower status more of a burden than a plus. Popular? I thought you guys were here complaining everyone hated you?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,462,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah I was reading an article recently where they were saying that the Canada/U.S relationship is dying of neglect and lays the blame squarely at Obama and his indifference. I don't really know but Obama seems to be a different man now than when he first took office. He seemed to be full of hope and inspirational - looking at him now he just looks weathered and tired - as if the job was far too demanding of him and that he took a bite off of something more than he could chew.

I could be wrong but that is the general impression I get seeing and hearing him.
All second term presidents are like near the end of their second term. they stop caring as they can't run again.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,462,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There needs to be some kind of campaign to de-mythologize America and Americans to the world. We are not gods and we are not demons, but we are simply human beings - in spite of whatever Hollywood or anything else has led people to believe.

Just like you, most Americans who travel to other countries are proud of the fact that they did. Just like you, most Americans disapprove of George Bush and think he was a terrible president for invading Iraq. Polls prove this.

Look around you wherever you live. Americans are JUST LIKE YOU. I know that's a bummer, but it is the simple truth.
What are you talking about?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,552,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! I used to live behind the Iron Curtain, so you're very much mistaken.
Got anything else?
Going by this statement, and the fact that your name is Weltschmerz, are you from Germany originally?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,363,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Going by this statement, and the fact that your name is Weltschmerz, are you from Germany originally?
Nope. I just like the word.
Kind of like "Manhammer" isn't really a hammer. I can't use his head to pound in nails.

(I lived in the USSR before Perestroika.)

Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,896,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You'd understand if Italy got all the attention we get, and no one was asking Europeans anything... idk why you guys think you are the center of attention about everything.
read the thread title a couple more times.
Perhaps read better the first message (written in your English moreover);
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'd just like an honest opinion about this, especially from Europeans and Asians. Its like everyone is against America and has a bone to pick against it. Is it because USA is the only superpower left? Is it because USA is the watchdog of the world and interferes with other countries? Is it because its perceived as colonizing and taking over oil reserves half a world away? Is it because of economic disparity or racism, in light of recent events going on?
The fact itself is this:
Fewest people in Europe (Middle East and Muslim countries are another matter) hate the US and fewest hate Americans on their own.
Most people (me included) is quite critical of the American government, point.
The hatred towards Americans, "the world is hostile" etc is just a huge fantasy of American people.
Nobody hates you, we don't waste our time thinking about the US, we are not jealous about you and we don't desire your lifestyle, end.
Live and let live.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,363,124 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...l#post36295207

Oh my!! Too funny!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM

969 posts, read 828,335 times
Because Obama

Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,946,497 times
Probably because of questions like this. You are too obsessed with your country and your national identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World