Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times

Advertisements

I think most would be surprised to learn the things that actually were invented in Australia, not the other way round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I should really know more Canadian history than I do, considering our countries are neighbors. I fall very short in that dept. As for Canadian citizenship, I was basing it off a biography of Alexander Graham Bell that I read where it quoted him as saying that though he couldn't claim to be a Canadian, his heart held a warm spot for them. I assumed that he was talking about citizenship, when he must have been referring to more general terms of being a Canadian, if the term Canadian was being used then. ??

The biggest thing for me was the fact of how openly proud he was over his American citizenship; so much so, that he requested that when he died that it be put on his grave that he died a citizen of the USA. Teacher, inventor, and Citizen of the USA was how he wanted to be remembered.

I think he very much loved where he stayed in Canada, especially choosing to live there for a good bit of the year every year. I've seen pics of where he stayed there and it is absolutely beautiful!! I had never heard that Canada considers him to be Canadian until*fairly recently. I was probably out of the country if this was debated by our countries and they decided to share him. Lol I've lived outside of my country a good bit.

Works for me though.

On hockey, I view it a little differently. Canadians might not have invented it, but it's one of the first things that come to mind when I think of Canada. Kind of like hotdogs and apple pie in America, I will always think of hockey as Canadian, though I'm a Bruins fan.
Yes that is true, but like I have stated I have never tried to belittle or degrade the fact that he was proud to be a citizen of the U.S.

I have always maintained that all three countries can claim him, some disagree. However if we go by his gravestone which reads

"Alexander Graham Bell, Inventor, Teacher, Born Edinburgh March 3 1847. Died a citizen of the U.S.A. August
2 1922"

I get the fact that he was Scottish, became a US citizen, and if I were standing in front of stone, that he must have had some attachment to Canada, since he and his American, wife are both buried here.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Most Americans honestly don't really care, a lot of non Americans seem obsessed with reminding Americans what we didn't invent which i find strange.

It's still very hard to measure who invented what, the first road vehicle was invented by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot.
What the hell are you talking about?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Most important things like the air plane, the car, the train, the rocket, antibiotics, the steam engine, the petrol engine, the jet engine, the computer, the cell phone, the world wide web, and gravity were invented in Europe. Americans belief they invented most of these things because they were raised with the propaganda of 'American exceptionalism' but in reality there are not really good at anything.
Quote:
Afaik, nothing. Unlike the US, we don't claim we invented things we didn't invent and we don't feel the need to claim we are exceptional when we aren't. The Germans and British did most of the important scientific and engineering discoveries.
Gee, drro, you come from such a lovely country with such nice people and you want to pout.

I love Dutch windmills, yachts, flowers, cheeses, chocolates and gardens (Keukenhof . . . ahh). And yes, Dutch apple pie. Although I must admit that the Dutch language is very difficult.

Yes, the Dutch do some things exceptionally well. Perhaps they didn't invent of all them, but they perfected them.

Anyway, Americans are not totally terrible at science. We've done pretty well at winning Nobel Prizes.

US Nobel Prize Winners

Play fair, now.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Afaik, nothing. Unlike the US, we don't claim we invented things we didn't invent and we don't feel the need to claim we are exceptional when we aren't. The Germans and British did most of the important scientific and engineering discoveries.
There's always someone on C-D with some weird obsession with American people. Most have never come in contact with an American outside of watching movies or posting on message boards.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

Anyway, Americans are not totally terrible at science. We've done pretty well at winning Nobel Prizes.

US Nobel Prize Winners

Play fair, now.
Normalized for population size, the US has fewer nobel prize winners than the Netherlands and many other European countries. In addition, many high profile 'American' scientists were actually immigrants from Europe like von Braun, Einstein or Tesla.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is always some disagreement between Canadians and Americans over Alexander Graham Bell and the telephone. If you want to make things even more complicated you can even throw Scotland/UK into the mix.

The Canada-US thing also exists with respect to James Naismith and basketball.
Bell was born in Scotland and went to universities in Scotland and London. He moved to Canada at the age of 23. He is SCOTTISH.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:50 AM

266 posts, read 674,504 times
Us Brits like to think we invented football and golf, but those were being played in China well before, known as Cuju and Chaiwan.

www.absolutechinatours.com, www.ancientchinalife.com

evolution from hockey to golf:

www.absolutechinatours.com, http://multipletext.com

http://historiainventos.blogspot.co....1_archive.html

www.absolutechinatours.com

Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is always some disagreement between Canadians and Americans over Alexander Graham Bell and the telephone. If you want to make things even more complicated you can even throw Scotland/UK into the mix.
You should also considere Italy! If you ask to any Itailan who invented the telephone, the answer will be "Antonio Meucci!".
Meucci acknowledged as telephone inventor, June 11, 2002 | EDN

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Let me rephrase it. It insinuates that these things are strictly American in origin.
No, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World