Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 AM

266 posts, read 676,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

On average blacks earn more than whites?? Who the hell is spreading these lies hahahaha.
Yep, it's a surprise to many Black British themselves, but the second highest earning strata of society for example are Black women, just below South Asian men, and comfortably above their White brethren. Meanwhile the biggest Black community, the relatively new Nigerians, outperform all the other kids at school, are most likely to go to university and land a high pay job.

However of course not every community is monocultural, for example Caribbean men still perform lower than the average, while Caribbean women outperform funnily enough.

-Also it's constantly changing ( a sign of a relatively healthy society), Nigerians now don't do as well, coming down to a normal average as the new generation 'anglicise', and Caribbean workers, who in 1993 earned 40p less than Whites, had by 2008 jumped up to 40p more.

This doesnt mean UK is a race/classless society - even despite that jump the 18p per hour overall difference in wages between Whites earning more than non-Whites in 1993, had jumped to 43p difference by 2008 (though I understand it's come down again post recession).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:06 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,409,064 times
Where do you find these statistics?

I know Black Women do well but black men don't at all they probably put the averages down.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:30 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,649,887 times
The only thing I can find is this:

If anyone has more recent stats, feel free to post, but I've not found any.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-28-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 AM

266 posts, read 676,640 times
^wow, what's the date on that?

Anyhoo:

Black women now earning better pay than white counterparts | Daily Mail Online

Also 78% of Nigerian kids get good grades at GCSE, compared to 55% of White children:

British Nigerian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2014, 07:15 AM

Oh, OK, but that chart I posted also shows black women out-earning white women so I don't think it's a recent thing.

And yes, minorities do well in GCSE exams. Poor white British pupils actually do the worst of all groups.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,409,064 times
Very interesting and sad

The pay gap between Men and Women Indians ad Whites are unacceptable, I know in Indian culture they stick to gender roles very strictly (Women stay a home as housewives) but what is the excuse for White Women?! I'm not blaming them for earning less but its just so unfair!

And people say we're equal yeah right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Oh, OK, but that chart I posted also shows black women out-earning white women so I don't think it's a recent thing.

And yes, minorities do well in GCSE exams. Poor white British pupils actually do the worst of all groups.
That makes sense parents from non - white backgrounds are more heavy handed when it come to discipline I think.

If we were on a more level playing field I'm sure much more people fro the minority groups would earning big bucks.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 AM

I don't know why white and Indian women earn so much less. Maybe it's because more white and Indian people are married so the women often don't work and rely on the man's income. I dunno.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:40 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,359,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The pay gap between Men and Women Indians ad Whites are unacceptable, I know in Indian culture they stick to gender roles very strictly (Women stay a home as housewives) but what is the excuse for White Women?! I'm not blaming them for earning less but its just so unfair!
Reasons for that:

- Motherhood: Usually bad for the job and/or your education (dropping out of university, ...).
- Part-time jobs because of family and kids.
- Socialization of women: "Girly" jobs pay less than "manly" jobs.
- The mere chance of women getting kids at one point in their career scares off some employers.
- Statistically women are less likely to work overtime.
- Women are allowed to retire 5 years earlier, which they usually factor in when doing these kind of statistics.

Considering these facts, gender inequality still exists, but is nowhere as exorbitant as it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World