Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It may be news worthy but the news can't report everything Australia isn't has race obsessed like other countries so a racist attack in the USA and Australia may have different definition. Americans may think saying xxxx is racist but Australians may not. Get what I'm saying??
I understand what you're saying
I'm telling you this isn't the case

I'm pretty sure the example provided is universally accepted as racist

Old 10-05-2014, 09:21 PM

284 posts, read 641,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
How is Australia racist and not America?

Australia is far from racist. There are much more cases of racism in America than in here...

australians are known for their racism against the aborigines

Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly! Filipinos mostly don't seem all that racist. A few older ones are kinda weird but overall not much.
The Filipinos I know who are "racist" are more ethnicist. Most of it, in my experience, comes down to not liking people from certain countries but not entire races.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
By the way, I've never heard "Flip" as being a slur before. Every single Filipino I know uses the term every once in awhile and doesn't get upset if others use it.

I'm thinking a lot of the not living next to a person of a different race has to do with the Muslim problem in the south. While they are the same race, they very well could have answered "no" by thinking of them.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
It may be news worthy but the news can't report everything Australia isn't has race obsessed like other countries so a racist attack in the USA and Australia may have different definition. Americans may think saying xxxx is racist but Australians may not. Get what I'm saying??
Australia reports everything about Australia even minor things that happen. Australia is a very tolerant country but one thing that annoys me on the main news channels is they will report the most banal thing that happens in Australia and ignore a lot of major international news. The only countries they regularly report on are the US and UK but not many other places unless it is something really major.

I never can understand people that don't live here in Australia saying it is racist. It just isn't. I've said on some other threads that Australians are not worried about expressing their opinions but I don't think that is a bad thing. There are people here from virtually every country on earth.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
That's like saying there was segretation in the US with black and white people and all the Native Americans were nearly exterminated so America is racist.

There was discrimination in the past but now there is positive discrimination towards Aboriginal people. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of issues with Aboriginal people but it is similar with the Native Americans in the US.

Last edited by Bernie20; 10-06-2014 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM

72 posts, read 35,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

If stats show that isn't the case then it isn't the case. There is no 'it should be higher'. Jesus - there are some dimwitted people lurking on this forum.
Hispanic and Latinos are often Mestizo. They are their own distinct racial category.

And there's absolutely no denying that the US is far more racially diverse than New Zealand.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Yes. Canada and the US.

Remove Australia, Argentina, and Brazil. these places are very racist.

Take out Norway, Sweden, and New Zealand. these countries dont even have an adequate amount of minorities living there for this study to be accurate.
Last time I checked, the US has racial riots quite often, where the last race related riot occurred here in AUS was in 2004. Are you really sure that Australia is racist, especially compared to America? Australia is generally very liberal, a bit too leftist even as I have seen fat, white chicks wearing shirts that insult straight white men in the liberal parts of Sydney. You're probably still thinking of Australia as it was like before the 70s or something.

Oh and Sweden has prominent ethnic minorities. It's becoming more and more multicultural. And they're also very politically correct and liberal.

Quote:
They are treated rather 'special', actually. They have privileges. In a government form that you have to fill in, there's always a box asking you if you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. If you are one and tick it, you'll be granted with better opportunities or options than us 'regular' people. You'd even get free college or at least your payment will be subsidised.

So yes indeed, Australia is very racist against the Aborigines.

P.S. I know your post is like 6 years old now. But I just want other people learning about Australia more. People still think we're racist and stuck in the 1970s. It's getting pretty annoying. Heck, over 50,000 of us participated in the BLM protests in the cities after Floyd's death (and I don't condone it at all, as America's problems shouldn't be intervened with ours anyway). And now, because of those petty protests, COVID cases are rising again. *sigh*

Old 07-16-2020, 05:51 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Last time I checked, the US has racial riots quite often, where the last race related riot occurred here in AUS was in 2004. Are you really sure that Australia is racist, especially compared to America? Australia is generally very liberal, a bit too leftist even as I have seen fat, white chicks wearing shirts that insult straight white men in the liberal parts of Sydney. You're probably still thinking of Australia as it was like before the 70s or something.

Oh and Sweden has prominent ethnic minorities. It's becoming more and more multicultural. And they're also very politically correct and liberal.

They are treated rather 'special', actually. They have privileges. In a government form that you have to fill in, there's always a box asking you if you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander. If you are one and tick it, you'll be granted with better opportunities or options than us 'regular' people. You'd even get free college or at least your payment will be subsidised.

So yes indeed, Australia is very racist against the Aborigines.

P.S. I know your post is like 6 years old now. But I just want other people learning about Australia more. People still think we're racist and stuck in the 1970s. It's getting pretty annoying. Heck, over 50,000 of us participated in the BLM protests in the cities after Floyd's death (and I don't condone it at all, as America's problems shouldn't be intervened with ours anyway). And now, because of those petty protests, COVID cases are rising again. *sigh*
I have been thinking that for about the 12 years I have been a member of this forum, some absolute howlers on this thread.

I was at south bank on the same day we had our big BLM protest. There were police in the parkland ensuring all the families etc in the park were correctly social distancing, yet 300m away over the river, there were 30,000 people packed in like sardines. You could never tell those 30,000 to stop, without getting the racist tag thrown at you.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:31 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I have been thinking that for about the 12 years I have been a member of this forum, some absolute howlers on this thread.
I think they're trolls. Most of them come and go, or with others their account is blocked/suspended on the long run. Either way, they're just very ignorant about us. You are more likely to experience racism in the US than in AUS, seriously.

Quote:
I was at south bank on the same day we had our big BLM protest. There were police in the parkland ensuring all the families etc in the park were correctly social distancing, yet 300m away over the river, there were 30,000 people packed in like sardines. You could never tell those 30,000 to stop, without getting the racist tag thrown at you.
And the sad thing is, we're not racist. It's not racist to think 'all lives matter'. Besides, Floyd was a reprehensible criminal who held a pregnant woman at gunpoint whilst his gang looted her home (back in 2007). Why protest for him? What about all the blacks getting shot to death every week in Chicago? Or the black cops killed during these violent riots? Doesn't their life matter?

And yeah, as you can see, we are pretty liberal and accepting, judging from those protester numbers. We are a multicultural country with people of nearly every background on earth. We're a melting pot. But somehow, foreigners still think a typical Aussie family is white, blonde-haired and living in some rural area with backwards thinking. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World