Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:43 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
I am interested in countries with the best job security. By this I mean countries that aren't too right winged or liberal with a lack of workplace laws, including unfair dismissal.

I'm from Australia and I would say it has great job security. It is pretty hard to be fired, unless you really screw up and after several warnings. Any aussies here may remember the infamous "work choices" under John Howard, which made it possible to fire employees without any good reason. Luckily this didn't last.

Here in Switzerland there is zero job security, because it is far too liberal. You can be fired any day, without warning, for no reason... even if your employer just "doesn't like you" and in some cases if you're sick for too long.

I heard the US is also a terrible country in terms of job security, as you can also be easily fired without good reason?

I really hate the feeling of going to work each day knowing that it could be my last. I really value places where it feels like you have some sort of job security.

What about the UK? I'd imagine the job security there would be similar to Australia with workers protections laws and unions.
Job security protections of law are the Euro Zone...they have an unemployment rate of 11%
USA has at will with no laws protecting workers and we can be fired for any reason or no reason... 5.1% unemployment rate

The paradox is because our employers can fire us at any time, we have the strongest economy, lowest unemployment, and greater upward mobility and advancement.

I'm so thankful that we (USA) don't have laws protecting unproductive workers and protecting industries that aren't making money. We learn early to be productive or get fired. In no country, with the possible exception of Singapore, could I have amassed the fortune I have than the USA. And millions have done it and continue to make fortunes from starting at zero.

Countries like Australia, Canada, Norway can use their vast oil and minerals income to fund all kinds of social programs for their miniscule populations. The USA doesn't have that luxury, we have to be productive and we are, and have become the world's leader in GDP for decades despite other countries having 4 times our population. Count me out of job protections programs, I want to work for a company (and I do), that will lay me off the second my cost exceeds my value to them....and I'm thankful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Job security protections of law are the Euro Zone...they have an unemployment rate of 11%
USA has at will with no laws protecting workers and we can be fired for any reason or no reason... 5.1% unemployment rate

The paradox is because our employers can fire us at any time, we have the strongest economy, lowest unemployment, and greater upward mobility and advancement.

I'm so thankful that we (USA) don't have laws protecting unproductive workers and protecting industries that aren't making money. We learn early to be productive or get fired. In no country, with the possible exception of Singapore, could I have amassed the fortune I have than the USA. And millions have done it and continue to make fortunes from starting at zero.

Countries like Australia, Canada, Norway can use their vast oil and minerals income to fund all kinds of social programs for their miniscule populations. The USA doesn't have that luxury, we have to be productive and we are, and have become the world's leader in GDP for decades despite other countries having 4 times our population. Count me out of job protections programs, I want to work for a company (and I do), that will lay me off the second my cost exceeds my value to them....and I'm thankful for that.
Americans are so naive. The social mobilty in the US is lower than in Germany, France, Spain, Canada. It is a joke compared to the Nordic countries.

Do you remember the financial cries? The US government saved most banks, AIG, GM, Chrysler. The US government lost 12.7 billion dollars on GM and Chrysler.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:48 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Maybe in the states that's true, but not in Europe (at least not in NL and i'm pretty shure most of EU).
In the Netherlands the job secutity is good for government jobs but the salary is much less than slaries in commercial buisnesses. As an engineer working for a contractor I make about 20% more than an engineer working for the government.
Also the benefits are way less. No lease cars for all staff personell, only the managers, for example.
US government workers, too, make a little less than private industry workers up front, but job security, pension, and healthcare benefit far outweigh the slightly smaller salary.

Did I mention they are part of the ruling establishment? For a private industry worker, you don't have a job if your company doesn't make any money. Government workers always have money from taxes. If they want more money, they just charge you more taxes and fees.

They live like kings and queens here.

Last edited by davidt1; 10-01-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 12:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Americans are so naive. The social mobilty in the US is lower than in Germany, France, Spain, Canada. It is a joke compared to the Nordic countries.

Do you remember the financial cries? The US government saved most banks, AIG, GM, Chrysler. The US government lost 12.7 billion dollars on GM and Chrysler.
Sometimes. I had an interesting conversation with one while in California. He was bragging that the US has some of the toughest workers rights legislation around. He then looked at me and said " especially compared to Canada ". LOL

I asked him if workers had paid maternity/paternity leave, mandated paid vacation time, a choice of notice or severance pay, etc.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:

I make 8-10 times the average wage in the any of those countries and I started with zilch. I own property in Puerto Banus, Spain and I've seen that wonderful upwardly mobility in the area...not. USA has double the GDP of those countries combined and has far higher average incomes and lower taxes. Those are all fine little countries that trail the USA in income, GDP, innovation, culture impact, military might, and really any other statistic of value. I'm sure you can come up with some other metric that will show those countries have some kind of advantage and they should considering they are not having to incorporate 30 million immigrants into their economy and social programs.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:54 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I make 8-10 times the average wage in the any of those countries and I started with zilch. I own property in Puerto Banus, Spain and I've seen that wonderful upwardly mobility in the area...not. USA has double the GDP of those countries combined and has far higher average incomes and lower taxes. Those are all fine little countries that trail the USA in income, GDP, innovation, culture impact, military might, and really any other statistic of value. I'm sure you can come up with some other metric that will show those countries have some kind of advantage and they should considering they are not having to incorporate 30 million immigrants into their economy and social programs.
Well there are the " Quality of Life " and " Standard of Living " metrics.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:59 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well there are the " Quality of Life " and " Standard of Living " metrics.
Haha.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:

So I used your source (OECD) to come up with the average disposable income and wealth of the counties you were bragging on and here's what OECD stats show....none of the counties come within half of the average wealth in the USA:

USA - Average disposable income $41,355, Average wealth - $145,769
France - Average disposable income $28,799, Average wealth - $48,741
Spain - Average disposable income $22,477, Average wealth - $24,744
Germany - Average disposable income $31,252, Average wealth - $50,394
Canada - Average disposable income $29,365, Average wealth - $67,913

People from inconsequential countries are so cute when they come up with irrelevant stats to try to put down the dominant country in the world.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:56 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Average numbers sure make everyone looks good.

This CNN report shows the difference between average and median. In fact their average net worth for Americans is much higher than yours at $301K. The median net worth, however, is only $45K.

Middle class Americans: Not so wealthy by global standards - Jun. 11, 2014

Old 10-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Average numbers sure make everyone looks good.

This CNN report shows the difference between average and median. In fact their average net worth for Americans is much higher than yours at $301K. The median net worth, however, is only $45K.

Middle class Americans: Not so wealthy by global standards - Jun. 11, 2014
This calculates housing values into wealth and was taken after the US housing values took a huge fall. I bought 5 houses after they fell and now have a huge wealth gain and income from those rentals.

We do have a large underclass related to our demographics that brings down the median wealth numbers and I don't see that changing. If European countries had our demographics, their median wealth and income numbers would suffer similarly and their 11% unemployment rate would be probably like 16%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World