Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
That thinking needs to change! I can now see why you believe that our government are slightly racist... Because if they weren't, then they would make sure that pre-colonial African history would be included in the school curriculum. This would get rid of that wrong stereotype that Africans are "primitive", all humans have equally the same amount of intelligence and feelings as each other, and the fact that African history isn't included is most likely one of the reasons why black people don't feel part of the western world. It just annoys me that a very important part of history is taken out because of what some white middle aged, ruling class, elitist thinks! Bout time we included all forms of human history into the curriculum, and teach the negatives and positives of what each empire or nation did at that time! (And this is coming from a right wing patriotic Brit!)
Exactly, most people have a narrow idea of what racism is that's why I say all the time racism is much deeper than people like to think.

I read an article and it said most Black people are mentally ill...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Exactly, most people have a narrow idea of what racism is (1)that's why I say all the time racism is much deeper than people like to think.

(2)I read an article and it said most Black people are mentally ill...
(1) I have to admit, at first, from previous threads, I thought you where just being over the top... But now this has been explained to me, I agree with you now!

(2) Really? Most black people I met seem friendly, excitable (in a fun way) and not mental...

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Quote:
(1) I have to admit, at first I thought you where just being over the top... But I agree with you now.

(2) Really? Most black people I met seem friendly, excitable (in a fun way) and not mental...
About the mentally ill thing I'll explain...

*Some Black people have internalised racism problems
*Some Black people will openly say ''they will never date a Black Man/Women because
their too ugly, they prefer other races.
*Some Black Women straighten their hair chemically to get it straight (to get it Straight like the ideal race e.g. ''White People hair'')
*Some Black Women wear weave (fake hair again to cover up their ''Bad hair'' Afro hair) to look straight and flowing.
*Most Black Men rush to the hair shop to cut their hair, Black Men tend to perceive themselves as ugly when there hair isn't ''fresh'' e.g. when their hair is visible
*Some Black people treat lighter skinned fellow Black people better than ones who are darker..(So basically the closer you are to looking European in the Black community the less harshly treated you are)
*Afro-Caribbean people tend to deny their African ancestry, or get offended when they're referred to as such.
*Black Men tend to prefer European Women.

If that isn't Mentally ill, hating oneself then I don't know what is, internalised racism is a mental problem that I see everyday I hear it on the bus, train, at college and even on tv.

In all essence internalised racism is basically an inferiority complex or self hatred (towards people of European origin) and an inferiority complex is a mental illness.

Quote:
Internalized racist attitudes in individuals present barriers towards achievement of racial equality, as somebody with internalized racism may believe that they are inferior to people of other ethnic groups and that equality is therefore not a logical goal; according to Suzanne Lipsky, 'It (internalized racism) has proved to be the fatal stumbling block of every promising and potentially powerful black liberation effort that has failed in the past'.

In an article called Colorism: A Darker Shade of Pale, Taunya Lovell Banks discusses colorism and how it has been internalized by the Black community, leading to a racist hierarchy that privileges lighter skinned black people over darker skinned black people within their own communities.

Cosmetic practises, such as skin-bleaching among ethnic groups such as Indians, relaxers for African-Americans, and Asian blepharoplasty have been attributed to internalized racism, although these claims are controversial and have been described as ethnocentric
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_racism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_mentality

Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Probably the biggest plus for the US in terms of natural scenery is how accessible most of it is. Australia and Canada do have some pretty spectacular places, but getting there is more "epic adventure" than holiday destination. Even getting to Australia's Indian Ocean territories of Christmas and Cocos Islands from the mainland is more of an effort than flying to Hawaii.
This is a decent point but I think we need to underscore the raw and untouched natural beauty of places in Australia and Canada! The more access people have to places - well you know the result over time! I like roads less travelled! Plus, the U.S is a nation of over 315 million people - there's alot more people to trek around than in Canada or Australia.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-01-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM

522 posts, read 694,589 times
Friendliness: USA
Lifestyle: UK
Weather: USA
Nightlife: UK
Tourist attractions: USA
Economic diversity: Canada
Cultural contribution: UK
Urban living: Canada
History: UK
Architecture: UK
Transportation: UK
Education: Australia
Natural scenery: Canada
Cost of Living: USA
Political Stability: Canada
The Politics: Canada
Economical Stability: Australia (?)
Fun: UK

Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
United States is the best.... by far.

Friendliness:

USA
UK
Canada
Australia

UK
Canada
USA
Australia

Lifestyle:

USA
Australia
Canada
UK

Weather:

USA
Australia
UK
Canada

Nightlife:

USA
UK
Australia
Canada

Tourist attractions:

USA
UK
Canada
Australia

Economic diversity:

USA
UK
Canada
Australia

Cultural contribution:

USA
UK
thats it

Urban living:

UK
Australia
Canada
USA

History:

UK
thats it

Architecture:

UK
USA
Canada
thats it.

Transportation:

They all have good transportation systems for their populations honestly

Education:

Australia
Canada
UK
USA

Natural scenery:

USA, Canada
Australia
UK

Cost of Living:

USA
Canada
UK
Australia

Political Stability:

Australia
Canada
UK
USA

The Politics:

USA
Canada
Australia
UK

Economical Stability:

All of them

Fun:

USA
Canada
Australia
UK

Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Friendliness: Tie
Location: Canada ( tough one since the UK is so close to Europe and obviously it depends where you live in Canada )
Lifestyle: Canada ( good balance of work/live and access to fantastic nature and high SOL and QOL )
Weather: US has more variety, but I love the climate I live in.
Nightlife: UK ( clubs are much wilder if you know where to look )
Tourist attractions: If you mean man made attractions like amusement parks then US, if you mean natural attractions..Canada..if you mean historical sites that attracts tourists then the UK
Economic diversity: US..guessing here. Canada is still too focused and depending on selling oil...
Cultural contribution: UK ( what language are we all typing here? )
Urban living: Canada/Australia I haven't been to Australia but people say that some of our cities resemble each other, with Vancouver being the best
History: UK without a doubt. Great history...love reading about it and find it fascinating
Architecture: Tie
Transportation: Freeways, well the US certainly has more, but I'm sure in Australia, UK etc the freeways serve them well as in Canada. If you mean urban transportations systems, this is so city specific that it more of a city against city battle.
Education: Public school system ( private in UK )Canada does very well in the world rankings. Post Secondary...depends on your field...and affordability...so I don't know.
Natural scenery: Canada
Cost of Living: US?? but when I factor in the costs that are out of pocket and other factors such as where I would want to live in the US, Vancouver just comes out ahead.
Political Stability: Tie
The Politics: All at once now, GROAN.
Economical Stability: Tie
Fun:Tie..you make your own fun ( as my mum used to say )

Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Transportation:

They all have good transportation systems for their populations honestly
Seriously?! The US, Aus and Canada might... But try the British Transport System, we don't have proper high speed trains (at least nationally), roads can't keep up with the overcrowded population - and it ever growing - causing pressure on the roads (and although the conservatives have made plans to build new roads - god knows how they have the money to build them - Ow wait! Yea their going to borrow the money again! Putting the country into even more debt! ), and it took me 2 and a half hours travel from Victoria station, London to Havant (near Portsmouth) this evening! - luckily my friends where with me and we just had laughing fits the whole way - but without them think I would have died of boredom! Oh and Busses... Always bloody late!

HAHA! Another brilliant day of work in the UK...

Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM

522 posts, read 694,589 times
Quote:
Seriously?! The US, Aus and Canada might... But try the British Transport System, we don't have proper high speed trains (at least nationally), roads can't keep up with the overcrowded population - and it ever growing - causing pressure on the roads (and although the conservatives have made plans to build new roads - god knows how they have the money to build them - Ow wait! Yea their going to borrow the money again! Putting the country into even more debt! ), and it took me 2 and a half hours travel from Victoria station, London to Havant (near Portsmouth) this evening! - luckily my friends where with me and we just had laughing fits the whole way - but without them think I would have died of boredom! Oh and Busses... Always bloody late!

HAHA! Another brilliant day of work in the UK...
LOL. America doesn't have any high speed trains. Republicans feel that it's a major waste of tax money. I don't think you get to complain much.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
LOL. America doesn't have any high speed trains. Republicans feel that it's a major waste of tax money. I don't think you get to complain much.
My goodness! How do you get from NYC to LA quickly if your scared of heights and don't drive then? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World