Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which language do you prefer?
Spanish 33 56.90%
Portuguese 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 01:41 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times

Advertisements

I've always been exposed to Spanish. It's not really bad, but it can get a bit cloying if you listen to it too much. Portuguese, on the other hand, sounds quite pleasant and also rather distinctive from its other Romance counterparts (Italian, Catalan, Latin, etc). It's less "noticeable" than Spanish and it seems to be more smoother.

So, which language do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 02:57 AM

136 posts, read 129,393 times
Spanish comes in much more varieties

Mexican spanish sounds cartoonish to me

Argentine spanish sounds a bit like Italian

Colombian spanish it to spanish what southern accent is to American english

I am not a fan a Castilian spanish, it's too rough, but I am also not a fan of Portugal portuguese. I must admit I also don't fancy that nasal sounding Brazil portuguese.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:48 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
I think I'm just more used to the sound of Spanish. Spanish as it sounds in the Americas, anyway. When I think Portuguese, I hear it with a Brazilian accent. I prefer Mexican Spanish, to be honest.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:41 PM

881 posts, read 921,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post

Colombian spanish it to spanish what southern accent is to American english
That would be Chilean Spanish, which has a "hicky" sound (no offense, I like it, it sounds funny in a good way). Colombian accent is known for being relatively well modulated.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
I haven't heard much Portuguese but from what I have heard; Brazilian sounds almost like some variety of Spanish to me with some odd French-like sounds thrown in. European Portuguese doesn't even sound like a Romance language to my ears. Sounds a lot like Serbo-Croatian.

Being a native of California, I grew up hearing Spanish. Mexican Spanish I generally don't care too much for although for various reasons depending on the speaker. In northern Baja it has that abrupt sound I hear from most Mexican-Americans. Sonorans sound almost sing-songy. Chilangos (people from Mexico City) sound whiny and some other Mexican varieties sound rather deep and guttural.

Puerto Rican sounds like a train wreck. My favorite varieties are Chilean and Argentinian although between them only, I cannot distinguish them.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:03 PM

136 posts, read 129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
That would be Chilean Spanish, which has a "hicky" sound (no offense, I like it, it sounds funny in a good way). Colombian accent is known for being relatively well modulated.
why do u associate hicky with southern?

what a dirtbag

when I say colombian spanish is like the american southern english is because is soft and has delicate sounds.... it sounds good in women especially.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,482 times
I think Portuguese sounds more sophisticated.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Brazilian Portuguese, the coastal accent found in Rio de Janeiro and southwards. I like the rhythm and the nasal vowels.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I haven't heard much Portuguese but from what I have heard; Brazilian sounds almost like some variety of Spanish to me with some odd French-like sounds thrown in. European Portuguese doesn't even sound like a Romance language to my ears. Sounds a lot like Serbo-Croatian.

Being a native of California, I grew up hearing Spanish. Mexican Spanish I generally don't care too much for although for various reasons depending on the speaker. In northern Baja it has that abrupt sound I hear from most Mexican-Americans. Sonorans sound almost sing-songy. Chilangos (people from Mexico City) sound whiny and some other Mexican varieties sound rather deep and guttural.

Puerto Rican sounds like a train wreck. My favorite varieties are Chilean and Argentinian although between them only, I cannot distinguish them.
I worked with an ethnic Russian from Kazakhstan who had a thick accent when speaking English it actually sounded somewhat similar to the accent my ethnic Portuguese aunts have when speaking English. I think there is more similarity with East Slavic languages Ukrainian and Russian. Ukrainian immigrants in Portugal within a few years can typically speak really good Continental Portuguese without much of an accent whereas other immigrant groups can't.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
why do u associate hicky with southern?

what a dirtbag

when I say colombian spanish is like the american southern english is because is soft and has delicate sounds.... it sounds good in women especially.
Southern American English is not usually thought of as sounding soft. It has a sound that's flat and difficult to understand to non Americans and some Americans alike. It is anything but delicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World