Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
omg that's horrible. i can't even think of living a place where I'm not allowed to go somewhere only because some criminals
I know - Colombia seems like such a scary place.. I love going out at night but walking the streets of Bogota as a tourist is probably not advisable. Can't drive around the country and appreciate it because you have a decent shot of getting kidnapped... sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
I am from one of the cities on that list and it does sadden me to see so many people lose their lives, especially many at such a young age. With that said people blow alot of this way out of proportion. Why would anyone with any decent level of street smarts and basic travel awareness be afraid to visit many of these cities? You are limiting yourself if a few statistics scare you off.

If you look hard enough you can find something to be scared of in alot of places. Crime, Drugs, Terrorism, Road safety, Health concerns, Unsafe drinking water, etc, etc...Read a couple travel books, ask questions, make an attempt to learn a few phrases of the language, respect peoples customs, check travel advisories and you are pretty much good anywhere that is not an actual war zone.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am from one of the cities on that list and it does sadden me to see so many people lose their lives, especially many at such a young age. With that said people blow alot of this way out of proportion. Why would anyone with any decent level of street smarts and basic travel awareness be afraid to visit many of these cities? You are limiting yourself if a few statistics scare you off.

If you look hard enough you can find something to be scared of in alot of places. Crime, Drugs, Terrorism, Road safety, Health concerns, Unsafe drinking water, etc, etc...Read a couple travel books, ask questions, make an attempt to learn a few phrases of the language, respect peoples customs, check travel advisories and you are pretty much good anywhere that is not an actual war zone.
Ed - stop lol... Read some of the threads in the World forum... We're trying to get Irene to see the light here.. Get with the program

Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ed - stop lol... Read some of the threads in the World forum... We're trying to get Irene to see the light here.. Get with the program
LOL, I need someone to get me up to speed here.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am from one of the cities on that list and it does sadden me to see so many people lose their lives, especially many at such a young age. With that said people blow alot of this way out of proportion. Why would anyone with any decent level of street smarts and basic travel awareness be afraid to visit many of these cities? You are limiting yourself if a few statistics scare you off..
Good point. It bothers me when people that have never been to Central America tell others not to visit Central America. The vast majority of people that visit places like Guatemala & El Salvador have no problems there at all.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Good point. It bothers me when people that have never been to Central America tell others not to visit Central America. The vast majority of people that visit places like Guatemala & El Salvador have no problems there at all.
That happens alot with the city of Tijuana. People freak out so much about it. I have taken open-minded European tourists and they are so shocked to see that it is a pretty normal city.

I say if people are so freaked out about the safety of a location, it is better that they not visit. It is a nightmare to host people like this. They make their and everyone else's lives miserable freaking out about everything.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Cities in top 50 not located in Brazil/Mexico/Colombia/Venezuela/South Africa:
13.San Salvador, El Salvador
19.St.Louis, USA
22.Detroit, USA
25.Guatemala City, Guatemala
26.Kingston, Jamaica
28.New Orleans, USA
40.Baltimore, USA
While this is still bad news for the American cities, I would point out that the American cities listed are the cities proper, whereas other cities on the list are going by metro population. If St. Louis, for example, was expanded to its full MSA, or even just the physically smaller urban area, then it would completely drop out of this list.

A lot of work still needs in the American cities, but this list remains misleading.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
omg that's horrible. i can't even think of living a place where I'm not allowed to go somewhere only because some criminals
then don't go, stay in Dark-land I mean depress-land, I mean finland! they don't need you to visit

Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I know - Colombia seems like such a scary place.. I love going out at night but walking the streets of Bogota as a tourist is probably not advisable. Can't drive around the country and appreciate it because you have a decent shot of getting kidnapped... sucks!
Sure, a drug dealer who makes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year is going to kidnap a stupid canadian and his 500 dollars bank account!!!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Sure, a drug dealer who makes MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year is going to kidnap a stupid canadian and his 500 dollars bank account!!!
Most drug dealers don't make millions of dollars a year, its not the drug dealers that do the kidnapping anyway, that's the work of guerrilla groups like FARC, ELN and PLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World