Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has more international recognition?
Miami 77 40.31%
Chicago 114 59.69%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
How then are you measuring international recognition and renown
Because more people know about it. What it's famous about.

As to Chicago, no one but the tiniest segment of people will be able to say it produced so many nobel laureates. Just like you wouldn't be able to tell me all the nobel laureates Hamburg produced without looking up.

That's it my friend, we're more famous than you.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What kind of business travel? Domestic or international? because it makes a difference, we're talking international not the local farmer association convention out of Iowa.

When it comes to Business + Leisure INTERNATIONAL travel. That's right, no domestic people, Miami kills Chicago to the tune of 4 to 1.
lol, you need to take a chill pill. Combination domestic and international business travel. It's more domestic as the corporate headquarters are USA companies with a majority business and offices around the country (and there's obviously nothing wrong with that). McCormick place gets huge conventions with 20,000+ people per event at times. There are 400 major company headquarters in the metro.

Local farmer association convention out of Iowa? That's who makes up 49 million domestic visitors? You're making yourself look silly with the attitude and lazy stereotypes.

Miami gets 4 million international tourists a year, we get it. It's great. People love chilling on the beach and having their drinks. That doesn't mean the tens of millions of business and domestic travelers who visit cities around the country don't exist.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Because more people know about it. What it's famous about.

As to Chicago, no one but the tiniest segment of people will be able to say it produced so many nobel laureates. Just like you wouldn't be able to tell me all the nobel laureates Hamburg produced without looking up.

That's it my friend, we're more famous than you.
Only in your capacious imagination

Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
What is so amazing about your city? You have a taller skyscraper, a baseball park?

Nightlife here is better, shopping here is better, I see more international faces here in Miami Beach than I do in Chicago, the people are more beautiful, I have a beach in my backyard, my weather is better.

I will give you that Chicago has better Chinese, Indian, and Mexican food than Miami. One category you win.
Chicago is better known for its food experience overall. It's one of the top food cities in the nation. Miami is not in the same league.

Shopping is debatable, but the edge certainly goes to Chicago. Trip Advisor ranks Miami Beach higher, but US News and Conde Nast Traveler rank Chicago higher, and Travel and Leisure ranks Chicago higher in their luxury shopping category (neither city makes their other top 5 categories).

Miami will beat Chicago when it comes to nightlife, but Chicago remains no slouch in the category, and Chicago wipes the floor with Miami when it comes museums and sporting events.

Chicago offers a total city package, whereas Miami offers beaches. The city is a vacation destination on the international level. The same goes for Orlando, which receives more international tourists than NYC.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Chicago is better known for its food experience overall. It's one of the top food cities in the nation. Miami is not in the same league.

Shopping is debatable, but the edge certainly goes to Chicago. Trip Advisor ranks Miami Beach higher, but US News and Conde Nast Traveler rank Chicago higher, and Travel and Leisure ranks Chicago higher in their luxury shopping category (neither city makes their other top 5 in the other categories).

Miami will beat Chicago when it comes to nightlife, but Chicago remains no slouch in the category, and Chicago wipes the floor with Miami when it comes museums and sporting events.

Chicago offers a total city package, whereas Miami offers beaches. The city is a vacation destination on the international level. The same goes for Orlando, which receives more international tourists than NYC.
Its not even close as far as food is concerned. Chicago is so much better a food city than Miami and trying to minimize it to Indian and Chinese food is laughable.

Outside NYC and debatably San Francisco and LA, Chicago is the best food city in the US.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
What is so amazing about your city? You have a taller skyscraper, a baseball park?

Nightlife here is better, shopping here is better, I see more international faces here in Miami Beach than I do in Chicago, the people are more beautiful, I have a beach in my backyard, my weather is better.

I will give you that Chicago has better Chinese, Indian, and Mexican food than Miami. One category you win.
You're blinded by your homerism. You should probably learn more about other cities before disparaging them. Miami is fine, it's U.S.'s Latin American gateway. But beyond that, it pales in comparison to Chicago in almost any conceivable measure. I'll give you weather and beaches/cruises/access to the Atlantic, but really not much else. Dining, shopping, music, museums, education, economies, transportation, culture, sports, architecture, global importance... almost anything... Chicago pwns Miami.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Ok hot shot, give the statistic right here then.
I will dig them up today or tomorrow when I have time. Its going to be time consuming. Its not something I can simply post a link to because the numbers are not publically available. They are IATA measured.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I can almost guarantee that within a half mile radius of me, I have more grocery stores, boutiques, department stores, restaurants, bars, clubs, lounges, fitness gyms, pharmacies, dentists than you.

Yeah I have the beach too.

As to NYC, NYC receives 9 million international tourists + business a year. Miami receives 4 million. Orlando receives less than Miami and is somewhere between 3 and 4 million. You keep mixing up domestic tourists and international tourists.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You're blinded by your homerism. You should probably learn more about other cities before disparaging them. Miami is fine, it's U.S.'s Latin American gateway. But beyond that, it pales in comparison to Chicago in almost any conceivable measure. I'll give you weather and beaches/cruises/access to the Atlantic, but really not much else. Dining, shopping, music, museums, education, economies, transportation, culture, sports, architecture, global importance... almost anything... Chicago pwns Miami.
You're flyover country, BigLake. I'm not speaking out of no experience, both my parents are from Europe, and 99% of my family is back in some European country.

Just look at what AsianDude says for Asia.

But you can continue to believe what you want as Miami continues to receive way more tourists than Chicago, which is on the lower end of the tourist scale.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
I can almost guarantee that within a half mile radius of me, I have more grocery stores, boutiques, department stores, restaurants, bars, clubs, lounges, fitness gyms, pharmacies, dentists than you.

Yeah I have the beach too.
Considering downtown Chicago doesn't even end if I go a half mile from where I currently am in downtown, I doubt it.

There's a beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World