Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times

Advertisements

You mean countries that help the poor and the needy? Try Australia. We are heavy on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times
UN criticises Australia's treatment of Aborigines as 'racist' - Telegraph

Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Australia positively discriminates to aboriginal people as far as welfare payments are concerned. Achololism would not be a problem if the people had no money to buy it.

The availability of welfare payments is not necessarily a good thing for the poor.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-27-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 12:04 AM

888 posts, read 1,592,389 times
Finland or one of the Nordic countries are probably on the top list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The poverty line is €1170 a month per adult. It's subjective poverty. But If you have a cheap flat and car, you'll do well with that sum.
You need to find a really cheap flat to rent if you want to afford a clunker on that kind of income. And you'd still be frequently in trouble with your bills. Doable some places, but not most. And i wouldn't describe that kind of a lifestyle as "doing well", but this is of course subjective and we all have our own preferences in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Are there poor people in nordic countries?
What do you call "poor"?
A lot. They are just not "poor" as in extreme poverty. Majority have a roof above their heads, mostly public housing, and the welfare system makes sure they have sufficient funds to feed themselves and they have public medical insurance. Public housing neighborhoods are just dumpy and depressing, but not ghettos by any means.

Part-time work and government work schemes have become a big thing, so many of those in poverty and on welfare might actually be working, just involuntarily on low hours. Some are retirees, our retirement system is not very generous, quite similar to social security in the US, you might be well-educated and have worked a rather respectable job and still end up like that, though if you have savings and have paid your loans and own your house and such, it might not be too bad.

If you are lazy, unmotivated, have an entitlement mentality and are not above being a regular customer in the welfare office, this is the place to be. If you want to actually work, get a gainful job, and enjoy a lower middle-class or upwards lifestyle, you'll be a lot better off in some other place, US might work out most of the time.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
You will be neglected if you're living in the bush, no matter what your race is. Inland Australia is a barren wasteland and it's almost as large as contiguous US. The government cares too little about those living there.

I'm talking about the people in urban areas. We would always support those.

Last edited by Ethereal; 02-28-2015 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
You will be neglected if you're living in the bush, no matter what your race is. Inland Australia is a barren wasteland and it's almost as large as contiguous US. The government cares too little about those living there.

I'm talking about the people in urban areas. We would always support those.
That's a bit of an overstatement; think of the money spent on airborne ambulance services and "flying doctors" to service remote communities.

But, yes a lot of Australia is remote - in an area equivalent to Dublin to Moscow (EW) and Lapland to Greece (NS) live 23 million people largely clustered around the coast. I don't think many Europeans can comprehend just how isolated some of those communities are, or the logistics required to provide family/child wellfare services to them.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Whatever. You get offended at even the slightest thing, so trying to "turn the tables" on me isn't gonna work. With you, you can't call a spade a spade. You even insinuate that any white person that is dating or married to another white person did so because they might be racist or "colorist"
When the **** have I ever said that?

Typical response you have to make things up and pretend you know me personally.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That's up to you mate. But you can't help where you are born.Some of the kindest people I have ever met stays in these areas.
nothing against those folk at all , just dont like high rise , beit in manhattan or the rough end of glasgow

Old 08-28-2019, 08:36 PM

277 posts, read 430,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm actually kind of disappointed you would beg me not to go there i would welcome you with open arms if you wanted to move here.
You would because people in Minnesota are nice!

I’m from MN and live in AZ. Lived all over the country.

Different areas can be VERY different. What helps is cities and larger town have food banks / community centers which help people get food. That makes a huge difference.

South America has much cheaper places to live but you need income. E.g., teaching English. Or retirement.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
You mean countries that help the poor and the needy? Try Australia. We are heavy on welfare.
Well no Australia would not really be a first choice for those wanting to solely survive on welfare. The dole (unemployment benefit) has not kept up in real terms since the 80's, meaning impoverishment for those dependant on it for any length of time. Even business has long called for an increase. Disability support now requires jumping through hoops to get and so on. The entire system is a muddle with robodebt wrongly cutting payments in too many cases to the most vulnerable. Meanwhile ever more inhabit the streets and meth ice drug abuse is rife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World