Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 AM

502 posts, read 656,972 times

Advertisements

I guess I will ask this here and not in USA or Americas because it also has to do with Europe.

A couple of years ago we were having breakfast at a common table in a nice B&B in New Orleans. My wife and I started some casual conversation with a couple (in their 50s) from Atlanta. The conversation was about New Orleans, how they liked to go there as often as they could because it was a fun city, etc. We were saying that we were having a good time in New Orleans and what we did before that (we were in Florida before that). They also asked us where were we from, and we told them we were from Spain but living in Brussels, Belgium. Then they asked us how do we find the cost of life in New Orleans, and in the USA in general, if everything was much more expensive than in Spain or Brussels. And then I answered back that actually we were surprised by how cheap everything was. Exchange rate at the time was something like $1.42 USD per Euro, so we were getting nice hotels or B&B for about 60 or 70 euros per night, and meals were really cheap (less than 20 euros both of us in a nice restaurant). I said that it was cheaper than Spain and much cheaper than Brussels (which is generally more expensive than Madrid).

From that moment on, they changed their behaviour towards us, almost not saying anything else, and about 2 mins later they left. We were a bit surprised because we didn't understand if we had offended them in any way.

Thinking about it afterwards maybe when you make casual conversations in the USA and you get asked questions there is an unwritten rule that says that you shouldn't say the truth but instead lie about your impressions and opinions? Maybe they were expecting us to say how expensive everything was? Or we came accross as arrogants because we said everything was cheaper than back home?

Culture clash?
Anyone with an insight about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,494,172 times
I have no idea, honestly. It just sounds peculiar if anything.

As an American I would never get offended if someone mentioned that where I lived or chose to visit was more affordable/cheap/whatever. So, I doubt it is cultural...and probably just that couple. As it is a lot of Americans are moving out of places like California and the Northeast/New England due to the COL and moving to southern states like Texas, North Carolina and Georgia because everyone knows that you can actually still afford to live the materialistic American dream of a mcmansion, car and green lawn in the suburbs in those places on an okay income.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,893,832 times
It might be that Americans are somehow more sensitive towards their nation but I doubt that two people can define a nation of 330 million people.
In general, all Americans I met were people proud of being American but also conscious of their country's problems and, though often defensive about them, they rarely reacted in the way you described.
So, as all things, it varies according to the single person: you might find somebody who'll never think there might be better places than the US and people who are likely to minimise their country.
Specifically to your episode, I'd say that they mistook your statement like if you said that America was worse rather than cheaper.
Finally, no, I wouldn't say you must lie to Americans, they are great and intelligent people and while you might find some overly nationalistic person, I doubt they are the norm rather than the exception.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,415,227 times
You may simply be reading too much into it. Americans have a reputation for being gregarious and friendly, and do tend to be quick to jump into a casual conversation, but once the moment is gone, can become as taciturn as an introverted German.

Also, most educated Americans are well aware that the dollar is weak compared to the Euro. On the other hand, I remember shopping with my Norwegian cousin (for whom everything everywhere is cheap) and she blithely commented that she liked shopping in America because costwise, it is like shopping in a third world country. While I could laugh it off, I could see how a proud stranger might find that offensive.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,494,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You may simply be reading too much into it. Americans have a reputation for being gregarious and friendly, and do tend to be quick to jump into a casual conversation, but once the moment is gone, can become as taciturn as an introverted German.

Also, most educated Americans are well aware that the dollar is weak compared to the Euro. On the other hand, I remember shopping with my Norwegian cousin (for whom everything everywhere is cheap) and she blithely commented that she liked shopping in America because costwise, it is like shopping in a third world country. While I could laugh it off, I could see how a proud stranger might find that offensive.
That's funny, because my middle class Mexican family does shopping trips to the US since they find it much more affordable here than in Mexico. My aunt and the women in her neighborhood actually arrange shopping trips with each other (on weekends). Apparently this isn't uncommon and you will see many middle class Mexicans shopping in Texas, Arizona and California malls and outlets, just there on a day visit.

So, the U.S. is cheap/affordable not just to developed world standards, but also under developing world standards. At least in comparison to countries in Europe, Japan, Singapore etc,.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,222,475 times
I don't think you did anything wrong or there is any sort culture clash related to that topic. It could just be those particular people.

Cost of living discussions are certainly not taboo, and most Americans realize that cost of living will vary greatly throughout the U.S. and other places in the world.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 AM

30,584 posts, read 19,319,171 times
Probably it was nothing, they could have had a disagreement or realized they had to go somewhere. On the other hand, Americans are sensitive to criticism from others so they may have felt in some way that your were being critical. We have different cultures and I find that Europeans often **** me off due to their attitude of superiority often displayed.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:51 AM

14,488 posts, read 11,311,810 times
Maybe they both had gas.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,943,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I guess I will ask this here and not in USA or Americas because it also has to do with Europe.

A couple of years ago we were having breakfast at a common table in a nice B&B in New Orleans. My wife and I started some casual conversation with a couple (in their 50s) from Atlanta. The conversation was about New Orleans, how they liked to go there as often as they could because it was a fun city, etc. We were saying that we were having a good time in New Orleans and what we did before that (we were in Florida before that). They also asked us where were we from, and we told them we were from Spain but living in Brussels, Belgium. Then they asked us how do we find the cost of life in New Orleans, and in the USA in general, if everything was much more expensive than in Spain or Brussels. And then I answered back that actually we were surprised by how cheap everything was. Exchange rate at the time was something like $1.42 USD per Euro, so we were getting nice hotels or B&B for about 60 or 70 euros per night, and meals were really cheap (less than 20 euros both of us in a nice restaurant). I said that it was cheaper than Spain and much cheaper than Brussels (which is generally more expensive than Madrid).
I don't know what you are trying to get at. The US is more expensive than Europe, even when the Euro was still strong. A good restaurant will set you back $80 - 100 for dinner for 2 people. Over here that would be something like 40 to 50 euros. Fast food is slightly cheaper in the US. Hotel rates are also higher than Europe. We've used priceline and hotwire in the US and in that way you end up below the hotel rates in Europe but it is risky because you don't know which hotel you will end up. Brussels may be expensive with the EU there but everything in Spain is much cheaper than the US for sure.

I've been in $220 a night hotels near San Fransisco which were just modest 3 star hotels. In Europe that would put you in a 5 star hotel downtown in the largest cities.

Quote:
From that moment on, they changed their behaviour towards us, almost not saying anything else, and about 2 mins later they left. We were a bit surprised because we didn't understand if we had offended them in any way.
My guess, they travelled through Europe and didn't appreciate your misrepresentation of things?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,923,746 times
Sounds like what you had to say about it being cheaper in the US isn't what they wanted to hear, perhaps they aren't doing well financially, of course this is just conjecture on my part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World